Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which is the all time drum group?
Youngbird 17 9.50%
southernboys 15 8.38%
sizzortail 17 9.50%
southern thunder 21 11.73%
Cozads 33 18.44%
yellowhammer 53 29.61%
Whitetail 7 3.91%
other 38 21.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Southern Singing Which is the all time drum group. Vote now! Which is the all time drum group. Vote now!

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2006, 05:29 PM   #41
powwow professional

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
mnx_str8_up is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
lol!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowrose515
I think I would have voted for Midnite Express, but i guess they did'nt win. I like them and the're cool natives.

Thanx 4 da luv.................but wrong thread homie!!
mnx_str8_up is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-2006, 11:32 AM   #42
EAGLE WOMAN

Hochunk_mama79 is a jewel in the rough
I give mad props to all drum groups!!!! But I agree w/snowrose515......Midnite Express is pretty good too, plus I know a few of them. But over all....... to all drum groups.

Last edited by Hochunk_mama79; 05-25-2006 at 11:35 AM..
Hochunk_mama79 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-10-2006, 09:49 AM   #43
proud powwow mom

creelady2121 is an unknown quantity at this point
fav alltime drum

what category would nakoda lodge be in- jus wonderin?
creelady2121 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2006, 05:02 PM   #44
BOULDERDASH!

Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 396.55
Savings: 1.00
Don't Forget.....

Grayhorse!
"She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."
Coyot_In_The_House is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2006, 03:28 PM   #45
jinglerfromwayback

rezgurl69 is a jewel in the rough
my personal favorite is Mystic River!!!! day can really jam!!! i could listen to dem all da time!!!
Old 07-09-2006, 09:40 PM   #46
Pow Wow Visitor

omaha~wau is an unknown quantity at this point
Seems to have been awhile since anyone has posted on this poll but, i couldnt go without, i just HAD to vote.

I give *MAD* props to ALL Southern Drum Groups, they have it going on.

BUT, i HAVE to go with *Yellow Hammer*. . .they are my all time favorite. These dudes jam from the heart, I can feel it when i hear them.

~*~Being Native Is What LIFE Is ALL About~*~
omaha~wau is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2006, 06:53 PM   #47
OmahaLadySinga

OmahaLadySinga is an unknown quantity at this point
Yellowhammer!

~ ~ Y E L L O W H A M M E R ~ ~

These groups are all awesome, but YellowHammer and WhiteTail by far are my favorites, as well as my family group *Standing Eagle* I have had the honor of being able to sing a song or two with these groups. Summer of '04' was GREAT! *LOL* Just hope Big Freddy can still butter Johnny Moe's Bunzzzzzz....*Yikes* well atleast that's what he told us. I think I better keep everything else on the *DL* *lol* The Memories.....*sniffles* Well hope to see you all down the pow-wow trail. *AHO* God Bless to you all!
OmahaLadySinga is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2006, 10:50 PM   #48
Pow Wow Visitor

NapashnisMom is an unknown quantity at this point
This was a tough one to decide but my all-time favorite is Midnight Express. Heard 'em a few years ago at a small powwow, bought a cd and still love listening to them.
NapashnisMom is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2007, 10:25 PM   #49
Gourd Dancer

JimGrayOwl has a spectacular aura about
Cedar Tree Singers

I'd have to say that all of the drums listed are great! I have heard sizzortail, yellow hammer and some of the others and just love the job they do, makes ya wanna dance!

But, I have to think about the "less exposed." Cedar Tree is awesome, that Rose boy has a voice that just won't quit! Believe they are NC drum. Also, Red Oak Singers (NC) is one to watch for, they need to take their show on the road. Jason, you are a heck of a singer!!! Then there is Black Bear, a group from OK (I believe) but, most live over here now (VA/NC/WV??) They are great too!!!

I'm really proud of these guy's and appriciate what they do!!!
JimGrayOwl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2007, 10:58 PM   #50
Choc-lack-chick!

Homalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond repute
Homalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 535.92
[QUOTE=JimGrayOwl;960851]I'd have to say that all of the drums listed are great! I have heard sizzortail, yellow hammer and some of the others and just love the job they do, makes ya wanna dance!

But, I have to think about the "less exposed." Cedar Tree is awesome, that Rose boy has a voice that just won't quit!

/QUOTE]

Cedar Tree! I will never forget the song they sang for my daughter's special.
Homalosa is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2007, 11:59 PM   #51
Taskahoi Atsuti

LSS has a reputation beyond repute
LSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 278.94
Thumbs up Biwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGrayOwl View Post
I'd have to say that all of the drums listed are great! I have heard sizzortail, yellow hammer and some of the others and just love the job they do, makes ya wanna dance!

But, I have to think about the "less exposed." Cedar Tree is awesome, that Rose boy has a voice that just won't quit! Believe they are NC drum. Also, Red Oak Singers (NC) is one to watch for, they need to take their show on the road. Jason, you are a heck of a singer!!! Then there is Black Bear, a group from OK (I believe) but, most live over here now (VA/NC/WV??) They are great too!!!

I'm really proud of these guy's and appriciate what they do!!!
Jim,

Cedartree is out of Northern Virginia...a lot of people say DC though. Black Bear...yeah...those boys are from Oklahoma and although they live here out East, they still keep those strong ties back home.

As far as Red Oak,...thanks for the compliment, suggestion and vote of confidence. I've gotten much of my learning from both of these drums and the singers around them. Hopefully Pow Wow Idol will help us to do just that...take OUR show on the road. While many may think it's "my show"...Red Oak doesn't even have a show without the men and ladies the compliment one another.

Jason
To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!
LSS is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2007, 06:10 PM   #52
THE Lakota Wiyan

Lakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Sooner View Post
Out of all them Drum groups out there who is the one u want to hear all the time?
VOTE AT THE TOP!
Are these the ONLY Southern Drums out there?
Lakota Wiyan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2007, 12:50 AM   #53
So. Straight Dancer

OU NATIVE is a glorious beacon of light
Credits: 615.43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakota Wiyan View Post
Are these the ONLY Southern Drums out there?
No way, those are just some southern drums.
this is an old thread.
So there are some newer southern drums now and some OG ones that werent listed...
such as:

(the ones in bold r from oklahoma )
Bad Medicine
Black Bear Creek
Thunder Hill
Wild Band of Comanches

Rose Hill
Otter Trail
Red Stone

Southern Express
12 Gauge
Buck Wild
Bear Heart
Southern Outlawz

theres more but those are the more well known ones these days

Last edited by OU NATIVE; 11-29-2007 at 12:54 AM..
OU NATIVE is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2007, 11:02 AM   #54
~southern cloth dancer~

lilchief00 is on a distinguished road
Wink Redstone Singers of Oklahoma

[SIi agree with what you said OU Native...but i have to say that Redstone is the best. i may be byass since it's my g-pa's group, but they have the deep old school southern tone and they know a lot of old songs. plus they can sing northern, not many people know that. they don't travel as much as they used to, but they are still great and g-pa is getting better everyday!! ZE="4"][/SIZE]
"They say women's dance is graceful; well, i don't like the word graceful walk because we're dancing hard as we can. You get out of breath, you get tired. When i get in the area, get ready, there's only good thoughts. By any means, you get out there to say i want people to look at me, i'm out here, i'm dancing, you know you just feel so great. You took alot of care into dressing."~Mary Ann Anquoe
lilchief00 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2007, 11:24 PM   #55
Pow Wow Visitor

Red_Stone92 is a glorious beacon of light
Red Stone Okla

Many Ah-Ho's Lilchief! Hopefully we'll be doin' the drum group thing more this coming year. I personally am liking the fact that there seem to be more good southern drums around these days! And let us not forget the pre 1990 southern drums like the Gunslingers, Brave Scout, Eagle Claw, Rough Arrow, Black Star, Gray Eyes, Wounded Soldier and Gray Horse of Oklahoma. I know I probably missed some but I think its important to acknowledge these drums that helped pave the way for us today!

Last edited by Red_Stone92; 11-29-2007 at 11:43 PM..
Red_Stone92 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2007, 06:58 AM   #56
Pow Wow Visitor

LITTLE DOG is a jewel in the rough
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU NATIVE View Post

No way, those are just some southern drums.
this is an old thread.
So there are some newer southern drums now and some OG ones that werent listed...
such as:

(the ones in bold r from oklahoma )
Bad Medicine
Black Bear Creek
Thunder Hill
Wild Band of Comanches

Rose Hill
Otter Trail
Red Stone

Southern Express
12 Gauge
Buck Wild
Bear Heart
Southern Outlawz

theres more but those are the more well known ones these days
i will add medicene dog, and the original plainsmen both rock
LITTLE DOG is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2007, 02:10 AM   #57
nobody

suthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 394.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSS View Post
Have not heard much from/of Lloyd in some time. Those guys may be going through a spell where they're just taking some time off to spend with their families, be a little closer to home, regroup, etc.

Just depends on their situation.
I saw them this summer a couple times back in oklahoma..still jammin still jammin
Old 12-13-2007, 03:40 AM   #58
nobody

suthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 394.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Stone92 View Post
Many Ah-Ho's Lilchief! Hopefully we'll be doin' the drum group thing more this coming year. I personally am liking the fact that there seem to be more good southern drums around these days! And let us not forget the pre 1990 southern drums like the Gunslingers, Brave Scout, Eagle Claw, Rough Arrow, Black Star, Gray Eyes, Wounded Soldier and Gray Horse of Oklahoma. I know I probably missed some but I think its important to acknowledge these drums that helped pave the way for us today!
AHO AHO

Kiowa Gunslingers, Eagle Claw n Gray Horse OWA OWA heck ya sayg thas some gooot singin right there.
haw and I used to sing with the original Plainsmen.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:40 AM   #59
Singer/ Dancer

RedShield has a reputation beyond repute
RedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 369.00
Man, it's hard to say who you like more in a poll like this...

I voted for Yellowhammer, but could easily have voted for Cozad or Zotigh as well.

Someone asked about Rose Hill, I know they did a pow wow down in Kentucky about 4 years ago, but haven't heard from them over this way since (which I don't blame 'em... LOL) Those guys were that ones that always got me going... Live from Hinkley is probably still my favorite Southern CD I own.

Just my 49 cents worth...

Paselo~
Old 02-06-2008, 12:54 AM   #60
Pow Wow Visitor

Miss Lay Low is an unknown quantity at this point
Cozad have withstood the test of time!
Miss Lay Low is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links