Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Southern Singing Best singer? Best singer?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-29-2003, 10:45 PM   #41
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
rwgirl has a reputation beyond reputerwgirl has a reputation beyond reputerwgirl has a reputation beyond reputerwgirl has a reputation beyond reputerwgirl has a reputation beyond reputerwgirl has a reputation beyond reputerwgirl has a reputation beyond reputerwgirl has a reputation beyond reputerwgirl has a reputation beyond reputerwgirl has a reputation beyond reputerwgirl has a reputation beyond reputerwgirl has a reputation beyond reputerwgirl has a reputation beyond reputerwgirl has a reputation beyond reputerwgirl has a reputation beyond reputerwgirl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Oh, yeah....don't they have some awesome pow wows down there in Central America? Wasn't THA Tribe host their at their last annual?
Get real, we are talking POW WOW Singing, the singers mentioned are from tribes that pow wow. If you want to go that far, yeah all people are from a tribe...every country has their tribes. Africa, China, etc. etc. We aren't even going there, but could you see Jimmy Kemble, Joe Fish, Cozad singing Aztec tribal songs? No...you know why? THAT'S NOT THEIR TRIBAL SONGS!!!!!! They have no rights to those songs, nor would they be nervy enough to try it. If you asked them, they would direct you to someone who knows all about that tribe.
I know this because I know them all personally, have heard them talk about singing and the respect that goes with it.
rwgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2003, 10:48 PM   #42
Tiny Tot Dancer

rwgirl has a reputation beyond reputerwgirl has a reputation beyond reputerwgirl has a reputation beyond reputerwgirl has a reputation beyond reputerwgirl has a reputation beyond reputerwgirl has a reputation beyond reputerwgirl has a reputation beyond reputerwgirl has a reputation beyond reputerwgirl has a reputation beyond reputerwgirl has a reputation beyond reputerwgirl has a reputation beyond reputerwgirl has a reputation beyond reputerwgirl has a reputation beyond reputerwgirl has a reputation beyond reputerwgirl has a reputation beyond reputerwgirl has a reputation beyond repute
Oh yeah, and they certainly wouldn't ask for clan songs, family songs, etc. that are sung only at ceremonials to be put on tape for themselves, as this man did. I even saw him try to go to the closed drum at Ponca.....yikes!!!! That's nerve. (he did not get too far into the arena before being told to turn around. I wonder why?)
Old 09-30-2003, 03:21 PM   #43
Pow Wow Visitor

Ponca Papa is an unknown quantity at this point
First of all, if your gonna make statements that brave, why don't you state WHO you are in your profile. You probably don't even speak your language. And by the way, I was talking about tribes in THIS continent. NATIVE north, central and south american indians. You talk about powwow ways and who has rights and doesn't, did you know that north american tribes including probably yours, use items such as macaw parrot feathers for fans, mescal beads for bandoliers, peyote for religious purposes, do I need to go on? Ignorant! that's what you are. It's a personal vendetta what you have. It's because of people like you that racism exists in the world. As for the Ponca situation, I've called and asked the Lieb's, the Littlecooks, the LeRoy's, and other families and they NEVER recall this man ever even stepping foot anywhere near Ponca land. When I worked with him, he told me he's never been to any Ponca powwow. So again, you are telling a lie or you really don't know who you say you know or what you say you know. Get you facts straight and state you name if you going to get somewhat brave on here.
Fredrick
Ponca Papa is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2003, 03:53 PM   #44
....SINNA.......

hot nsn mama has a reputation beyond reputehot nsn mama has a reputation beyond repute
hot nsn mama has a reputation beyond reputehot nsn mama has a reputation beyond reputehot nsn mama has a reputation beyond reputehot nsn mama has a reputation beyond reputehot nsn mama has a reputation beyond reputehot nsn mama has a reputation beyond reputehot nsn mama has a reputation beyond reputehot nsn mama has a reputation beyond reputehot nsn mama has a reputation beyond reputehot nsn mama has a reputation beyond reputehot nsn mama has a reputation beyond reputehot nsn mama has a reputation beyond reputehot nsn mama has a reputation beyond reputehot nsn mama has a reputation beyond reputehot nsn mama has a reputation beyond reputehot nsn mama has a reputation beyond reputehot nsn mama has a reputation beyond reputehot nsn mama has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Ponca Papa
First of all, if your gonna make statements that brave, why don't you state WHO you are in your profile. You probably don't even speak your language. And by the way, I was talking about tribes in THIS continent. NATIVE north, central and south american indians. You talk about powwow ways and who has rights and doesn't, did you know that north american tribes including probably yours, use items such as macaw parrot feathers for fans, mescal beads for bandoliers, peyote for religious purposes, do I need to go on? Ignorant! that's what you are. It's a personal vendetta what you have. It's because of people like you that racism exists in the world. As for the Ponca situation, I've called and asked the Lieb's, the Littlecooks, the LeRoy's, and other families and they NEVER recall this man ever even stepping foot anywhere near Ponca land. When I worked with him, he told me he's never been to any Ponca powwow. So again, you are telling a lie or you really don't know who you say you know or what you say you know. Get you facts straight and state you name if you going to get somewhat brave on here.
Fredrick
*AHEM* The Thread izzzzz........BEST SINGER??

Not this other bullsh*t that got way out of line again. A simple question....thats all....no need to explain yourself ...;)
hot nsn mama is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2003, 04:08 PM   #45
Tiny Tot Dancer

Well, I don't have to call there, I am from there.Parents are from there, grandparents died there, so on and so forth. He has definitely been to WhiteEagle this year. Etc.etc.etc,
It is not a personal vendetta, it is about trying to be something you are not and get pushy in areas that you shouldn't.
I am sure there are people like that in everyone's area, it just so happens this person is in Oklahoma now.
Truth will come out and those who are reading this will remember that it was mentioned once upon a time on a thread about southern singers.
He is a good singer, he is just getting pushy in an area that offends me and I have said so to his face. My aunties and uncles have said so and once we did, he settled down.
I won't further defend myself to you because I know where I am from, know what I have seen and said, and I live here in Oklahoma where all of this has gone down. Singing is sacred to the Ponca tribe, very sacred. That is why the drum is closed, only if you have a chair(descendents of the various families that own chairs at that drum) can you sit there. Or is you are especially invited. It is not the first, or last, time someone has been turned away from the drum.
Old 10-01-2003, 04:10 PM   #46
Tiny Tot Dancer

I apologize to the moderators for getting angry and voicing my opinions as angrily as I did. Mr. Santos is a good singer and he is knowledgeable of several songs. I will leave it at that.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:50 PM   #47
Pow Wow Visitor

Ponca Papa is an unknown quantity at this point
I too am from there, and you are wrong, he has never been there to my knowledge, but I will talk to him again this weekend at Kinder. NO one has ever seen him there. I have asked. By the way, thanks for the little info on you. I think I may know who you are. To the people reading this, I also say, I'm sorry for the bickering going on. And I seriously doubt you telling him to his face, cause you would have had lashing from his family.
Ponca Papa is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2003, 11:29 PM   #48
Tiny Tot Dancer

goose has a reputation beyond reputegoose has a reputation beyond reputegoose has a reputation beyond reputegoose has a reputation beyond reputegoose has a reputation beyond reputegoose has a reputation beyond reputegoose has a reputation beyond reputegoose has a reputation beyond reputegoose has a reputation beyond reputegoose has a reputation beyond reputegoose has a reputation beyond reputegoose has a reputation beyond reputegoose has a reputation beyond reputegoose has a reputation beyond reputegoose has a reputation beyond reputegoose has a reputation beyond repute
I am singing with OtterTrail this weekend at Kinder. Al is pretty nice and he sent me a tape of their new songs for the weekend. He is also very fair with payout and rooms and all of the accommodations. All of that other stuff, I don't know about but if he brings it up..I will ask. If not, I am not asking. He will probably just crack up about it anyway.
I still say YellowHammer, Southern Thunder, Bad Medicine, Cozad, Southern Boys, WhiteTail, and Otter Trail are the bomb. They all have excellent singers with good leads and seconds. Knowledgeable of the correct songs for each category(they won't sing a straight dance song for buckskin or fancy, etc.) White Tail made a song for my brother when my dad was ill and they gave it to him. They were so kind and I truly appreciated it. All of the singers mentioned are good.
What matters is the spirit they convey when they sing. If they make you feel good and proud about yourself and your traditions...they are using the gift God gave them.
goose is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2003, 12:10 AM   #49
Pow Wow Visitor

str8dnz'n_tahlee is an unknown quantity at this point
I can honestly say these things about my brother, Al Santos...

first...he's a brother, nephew, or friend to most of the singers that many people on this page have said are their favorites.

second...he's never made a song with Comanche words....HOWEVER..his former roomate, who also started songs for OT, and IS Comanche, did make a song...for a Comanche individual, with her Comanche name in the song...so maybe there is some confusion about that.

third...I can, without doubt, say...that he has NEVER been to White Eagle...however...his former roommate (mentioned above) has...and again...might be possible there has been some mix up.

fourth...he does know his culture better than most people know their own...he knows the language, the food, the ways....which is alot more than can be said for many people

and one last thing...the OT songs with words...those words have been put in the songs by other members of the group...so to all those in doubt...have no fear....the man comes out with some killer tunes...without words

And on a semi related note...about the macaw feathers, mescal beans, and peyote...HAW
str8dnz'n_tahlee is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2003, 12:17 PM   #50
BACK UP SINGER

sweetndn49 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Best Singer !

Strongest Voice-Jimmy Kemble
Highest and Clearest without fading-George Valliere
Most Pleasing to HEar- Southern Thunder...Yellowhammer...Southern BOyz....Bad Medicine...Cozad
Sing Most With-Southern Boyz...Southern Thunder....maybe scizzortail
Most Knowledgable- Frank Adson, Herb Adson, Jimmy Kemble, Jimmy Starr, Anthony Monoessy, Joe FIsh, Cheevers Toppah
Best All Around- ALOT OF THEM

Most Energetic: Jimmy Starr, Jimmy Kemble, Tim Grant, Kelly Cable
Cheevers Toppah...

There are alot of good singers out there.[B][FONT=arial]
sweetndn49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-06-2003, 03:16 AM   #51
Pow Wow Visitor

sugar creek 49 queen is an unknown quantity at this point
I listened to sizzortail and the southern boyz cd's on the way back from kinder.:Thumbs

Heard the Cozad's at Kinder:clapping:
sugar creek 49 queen is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2003, 08:34 PM   #52
Pow Wow Visitor

str8dnz'n_tahlee is an unknown quantity at this point
that would be the one....
str8dnz'n_tahlee is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2003, 08:45 PM   #53
~*Southernz Elite*~

SBZ4life has a spectacular aura about
*yawn*....Jimmy Kemble for all of em.....

There aint nadda wrong with Good ol Al Coyote Santos....

" say what I feel, I say what I think, I say what you do not like, Yet for some reason what I say is somewhat correct" Chief Big Beef 1999
SBZ4life is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2003, 11:59 PM   #54
Pow Wow Visitor

tea_el_cee is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 80.00
LARRY COZAD has my vote:D
tea_el_cee is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2003, 12:11 AM   #55
T.K.O.

saukpuppet has a reputation beyond repute
saukpuppet has a reputation beyond reputesaukpuppet has a reputation beyond reputesaukpuppet has a reputation beyond reputesaukpuppet has a reputation beyond reputesaukpuppet has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 90.00
JOHN kemble, cozads and jack anquoe
Old 10-15-2003, 01:55 PM   #56
Tiny Tot Dancer

JOHN REDCORN has a reputation beyond reputeJOHN REDCORN has a reputation beyond reputeJOHN REDCORN has a reputation beyond reputeJOHN REDCORN has a reputation beyond reputeJOHN REDCORN has a reputation beyond reputeJOHN REDCORN has a reputation beyond reputeJOHN REDCORN has a reputation beyond reputeJOHN REDCORN has a reputation beyond reputeJOHN REDCORN has a reputation beyond reputeJOHN REDCORN has a reputation beyond reputeJOHN REDCORN has a reputation beyond reputeJOHN REDCORN has a reputation beyond reputeJOHN REDCORN has a reputation beyond reputeJOHN REDCORN has a reputation beyond reputeJOHN REDCORN has a reputation beyond reputeJOHN REDCORN has a reputation beyond repute
Me!!!!