Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which is better?????
Volume of a drum group 6 4.76%
Togetherness/voice matching of a drum group 120 95.24%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Southern Singing Which Is Better????? Which Is Better?????

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2002, 03:22 PM   #21
loves southern singn'

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Uh....

Idiot does not begin to describe 'em! :Chatter
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-06-2002, 02:31 AM   #22
cherosage

CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,553.63
Savings: 1.00
A good head singer will keep the drum together and will gather the right mix of help.

Speaking of Head Singers I have a problem with many of these people charging a lot of money and Motel rooms for their entire
help.

When I was younger I was given a rule of thumb to live by as an
Indian. When someone ask you for help give it if you are at the
least able . When I am asked to be on a Head Staff I will say yes if I am not already booked. I have taught this same thing to my
children. I have journeyed over a thousand miles to help a friend. We don't ask how much, just where and when.
My family help to sponsor a Powwow in our area. The expences come from our pockets and any funds raised at the dance. We are always looking for help from year to year. A very good friend has helped us for several years. He hasn't asked for much in return, this is the old way. Are there any others out there that aren't overly proud of the dollar but more interested in the traditions. Don't take this wrong, we share with our head staff the best we can.
Old 04-10-2002, 02:54 AM   #23
State of Confusion

Southernstr8 has a reputation beyond repute
Southernstr8 has a reputation beyond reputeSouthernstr8 has a reputation beyond reputeSouthernstr8 has a reputation beyond reputeSouthernstr8 has a reputation beyond reputeSouthernstr8 has a reputation beyond reputeSouthernstr8 has a reputation beyond reputeSouthernstr8 has a reputation beyond reputeSouthernstr8 has a reputation beyond reputeSouthernstr8 has a reputation beyond reputeSouthernstr8 has a reputation beyond reputeSouthernstr8 has a reputation beyond reputeSouthernstr8 has a reputation beyond reputeSouthernstr8 has a reputation beyond reputeSouthernstr8 has a reputation beyond reputeSouthernstr8 has a reputation beyond reputeSouthernstr8 has a reputation beyond reputeSouthernstr8 has a reputation beyond reputeSouthernstr8 has a reputation beyond reputeSouthernstr8 has a reputation beyond reputeSouthernstr8 has a reputation beyond reputeSouthernstr8 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Gotta be all together....as a dancer I really pick that stuff up when I am in the arena....if the singers are off, deffinately the drum beat but thats obvious, but when the singers vocals are off so am I...but when it all comes together, I get lost and dance like there is no tomorrow.

Thats a really common place thing up here, groups that aren't together enough to put it all together and if I can't feel it, it shows in my dancing...More than one time after a dance I'll be asked why I didn't just tear up the floor, and my response is that I just didn't feel it tonight.
Southernstr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2002, 09:55 PM   #24
Tiny Tot Dancer

pawtoeman has a reputation beyond repute
pawtoeman has a reputation beyond reputepawtoeman has a reputation beyond reputepawtoeman has a reputation beyond reputepawtoeman has a reputation beyond reputepawtoeman has a reputation beyond reputepawtoeman has a reputation beyond reputepawtoeman has a reputation beyond reputepawtoeman has a reputation beyond reputepawtoeman has a reputation beyond reputepawtoeman has a reputation beyond reputepawtoeman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 130.00
Togetherness and united voices. Nothing worse than a bad drum trying to be loud, like that will help improve the quality.

Just my 2 cents
pawtoeman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2002, 12:04 AM   #25
Pow Wow Visitor

sing2me is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah...good singing....the kind that gets a woman singer out of her chair... walk all the way across the "dance floor" (aye)...just to sing with a group of men that have beautiful voices is always a good sign..........also.........as a woman singer.....to get your voice to match theirs.............oh baby!!!!:)
Old 04-13-2002, 12:03 AM   #26
Arena Director

Smokin' Ace has a reputation beyond repute
Smokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 110.00
Quote:
Originally posted by CHEROSAGE
I VOTE FOR HARMONY AND THE SAME BEAT. I HAVE TRIED TO DANCE TO DRUMS THAT CAN'T KEEP A BEAT. USUALLY THE HEAD SINGER WILL REMEDY THE PROBLEM. THE GREATS DID. I'VE SEEN DRUMMERS LEAVE AND SINGERS STAY.
Man, that says it all, doesn't it? We have all seen "drummers" that dwindled away - but the singers stay forever!
Smokin' Ace is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2002, 11:47 PM   #27
old school fool

Items Change User Title
RainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond repute
RainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDaze49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 748.00
I like em both!!!

If a drum group can have the volume AND the be in synch then Ill buy theyre CD!!! It shows that they're well rounded group and that they care to practice and sound good for us dancers!!:p
RainyDaze49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-03-2002, 12:49 AM   #28
SNAGgles

Thumbs up Both are important

Togetherness is key. Volume will come into play as time progresses and you'll have a kicka$$ drum group.:Chatter
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2002, 09:18 PM   #29
Tiny Tot Dancer

Native_Huney426 has a brilliant futureNative_Huney426 has a brilliant futureNative_Huney426 has a brilliant futureNative_Huney426 has a brilliant futureNative_Huney426 has a brilliant futureNative_Huney426 has a brilliant futureNative_Huney426 has a brilliant futureNative_Huney426 has a brilliant futureNative_Huney426 has a brilliant futureNative_Huney426 has a brilliant futureNative_Huney426 has a brilliant future
TOGETHERNESS ALL THE WAY!!!! if ya not together ya get the dancers confused if they are really focusing on the beats and harmony besides the drum is the heart beat of the people so if its not together whats that going to say about the people?

they have microphones to make ya louder:p
Native_Huney426 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2002, 04:35 PM   #30
Pow Wow Visitor

SLW is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree with everyone when they say that togetherness is the most important thing, volume is important only if they're already together, but if they're not together, it just doesn't sound as good...
Old 11-24-2002, 03:58 AM   #31
PowWows.com Addicts

luvs2rodeo has a reputation beyond reputeluvs2rodeo has a reputation beyond repute
luvs2rodeo has a reputation beyond reputeluvs2rodeo has a reputation beyond reputeluvs2rodeo has a reputation beyond reputeluvs2rodeo has a reputation beyond reputeluvs2rodeo has a reputation beyond reputeluvs2rodeo has a reputation beyond reputeluvs2rodeo has a reputation beyond reputeluvs2rodeo has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up it's allabout togetherness

....togetherness...there aint nothing worse then trying to get down to one good song but theres several drum beat!!! Dam,I hate that...! And if the head singer was a good head singer he would have the sense to round up the fellas that were messing up the song...kick some A$$ and tell them to get straight or get to steppin'...!!!!!
Old 12-10-2002, 03:20 PM   #32
WHISTLE WHILE I WORK

Playahatah is an unknown quantity at this point
We are all ONE!!

Oneness for the goodness!! So, yes, I'm in agreement, let's have them boys kick out the jams together. Especially when they kick out them Gooooood songs!!

Loooo-loooooo-loooooooooo!! :dancer:
Playahatah is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2003, 11:06 PM   #33
Pow Wow Visitor

lumbee_phatkhat_gal is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face I feel that it has to be in your heart.

I dont belivie a Women or a man, Should get up an sing for a group, or play the drum, if they dont have it in there hearts. If they cant find the beat of the drum pounding in there hearts as the men play, i dont think they should stand behind a drummer an sing that song. Becuase i feel that the druman drummer is a important part of a Pow wow. And if they are off, then they'll throw everyone off. And that sounds really BAD. So i feel that they should be combined and sing together.

Lumbee_phatkhat_gal.
Old 02-07-2003, 02:01 PM   #34
Pow-Wow Singer

The_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond repute
I think you have-ta have togetherness before volume.......

If you have that then you can work on becomming louder... It's not all about blasting out a tune, either....

Thats my opinion anyway.....

Just look at Cozad's.... There one of the better gruops out there.. And they have one, if not the most relaxed styles of singing that I've ever seen. And they still make me tap my toes.... and wanna get up outta my chair.
The_HULK is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2003, 02:28 PM   #35
Head Singing Judge

Kiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 390.00
Togethorness for sure. All singers have to know the song and have the same beat. No one should be out of tune and off beat. The rest will follow.
Kiiwedinong is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2003, 11:10 PM   #36
Pow Wow Visitor

otoe_gurl is an unknown quantity at this point
i agree...

togetherness...
first thang to jammy jammin
Old 10-17-2004, 11:36 PM   #37
Muzzy Dancer

Native_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond repute
U have to have one sound!!

NightHawks.....my uncle Henry Collins sings with them. Anywayz........U have to to have a sound when u sing. All these good groups that we talk about have a sound. I allwayz thought it was funny when u could hear one of your uncles over the rest of the group....lol......but yeah, theres nottin wrong with wanting to jam but when u can hear jus u singin i bout u goin to win the drum contest doin that.
Native_Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2004, 11:32 PM   #38

NCheyGirl21 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl21 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl21 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl21 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl21 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl21 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl21 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl21 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl21 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl21 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl21 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl21 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl21 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl21 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl21 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl21 has a reputation beyond repute
together!!
NCheyGirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links