Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Southern Singing Caring for Drum Heads Caring for Drum Heads

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2007, 07:22 PM   #1
Holy Indian Taco Batman!

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
hobbs49 has a reputation beyond repute
hobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 49.99
Savings: 1.00
Caring for Drum Heads

This may seem like an offbeat question, but here goes. I was noticing the other day while sitting in with some guys singing that the drum head had a couple of areas where the hide (buffalo I think) was looking like it had some spidery surface cracks. When I ran my hand over it, I could feel some of the cracks, others I couldn't. They didn't look deep and they didn't look like it was from any misuse.

So have others seen this? Is it anything to worry about? Is there anything that could be done to "recondition" that area or the whole head?
hobbs49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2007, 09:35 PM   #2
Great Uncle Patrick

between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,691.96
I have a djembe (I know - that's NOT a pw drum). It was a gift and made by someone close to our family and it does see quite a bit of use. The head is goat (not buffalo) but it is hide, nonetheless.

This drum is played with the hands, not a stick. In preparing to play, the hands are coated with "drum butter" - basically nearly pure shea (an african nut) butter. The hide also gets rubbed with the drum butter both before tuning (it has diamond knotwork which needs to be tightened or loosened depend on humidity and temperature so that the drum gives a good sound) and after playing. Drum butter helps condition the hide and keeps it from cracking.

We keep the hide covered with a cloth when not in use - both as a protectant and out of respect for the animal that gives the drum its voice. The hide that is on the drum has been there for 10 years now. I've seen regularly used djembe that had hides that were 20 years old or more.

I'll be interested in learning what goes into the care of a pw drum.
between2worlds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-14-2007, 05:04 PM   #3
I don't do this for fun!

TacO5000 has a reputation beyond repute
TacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 232.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs49 View Post
This may seem like an offbeat question, but here goes. I was noticing the other day while sitting in with some guys singing that the drum head had a couple of areas where the hide (buffalo I think) was looking like it had some spidery surface cracks. When I ran my hand over it, I could feel some of the cracks, others I couldn't. They didn't look deep and they didn't look like it was from any misuse.

So have others seen this? Is it anything to worry about? Is there anything that could be done to "recondition" that area or the whole head?
I've seen a few drums with cracks like the ones you are talking about..... newer drums tended to have more "rough edges." the more a drum gets used, the heads will become smoother, and also depends what side is up on that head... the hair side tends to be more even.... the side were the flesh and fat were tend to be more rough... dependin on how good it was scraped.... and if you don't get everything off and use lime, it will have a rotten smell to it....

It is good to wipe down the drum with a damp cloth and store it in a place with a lil moisture to keeps the heads from pullin too hard and crackin. and when you need to tune your drum do it by the sun or fire....
Old 02-15-2007, 09:18 PM   #4
Some Kinda Monster

Str8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 919.64
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacO5000 View Post
..... and also depends what side is up on that head... the hair side tends to be more even.... the side were the flesh and fat were tend to be more rough...
Hmmm.... i was taught that there's only one way the hide should be on a drum..... hair side out. That's the way the hide came factory installed on its original owner. Nuff said.

Drum hides are meant to be replaced - shoot I know guys who hit the trail hard who get their drum recovered at the end of each summer.... And they usually got at least two drums with them at all times anyway just in case. Not being able to see the cracks, it could be one of two things - crappy job fleshing/scraping the hide, or normal wear and tear and it's just time to get new hides.

Also, there are major differences between the different kinds of hides available. Home-made scraped hides are the best if they're done right. Leather shops often sell cow and horse, so be sure to ask what you're getting... also those commercially processed hides are often pulled off the carcass with machines, which can over stretch the hide, causing it to lose some elasticity. Keep that in mide when tying a drum with commercially processed rawhide.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:08 PM   #5
Southern Chummie

Niwiwan2005 is on a distinguished road
Credits: 0.00
Up North we...

Heat the hides-up gradually by a fire. Then when the drum has the sound that we want, we cure or "set the pitch" by rubbing bear grease into the pores of the hides. This practice helps condition the hide from cracking and gives the hide a moisture-proofing that keeps the drums pitch true; especially, during a cool or rainy day. Anyway, thats what our uncles told us to do--their advice has always been right-on!!
Niwiwan2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2007, 09:20 AM   #6
Holy Indian Taco Batman!

hobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the info everyone! Lots of different thots out there! I've heard the caution about commercial hides before so there's probably some good truth to that. Right now, we're not too worried but we're keeping our eye on it and we'll certainly take some of these suggestions to hopefully keep them in check. But if not, as Str8Dancer said, "Drum hides are meant to be replaced"

Again, thanks and I appreciate the ideas!
Old 02-22-2007, 12:22 PM   #7
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,539.52
Dang!

I thought this thread was about caring for "Drum Heads" like:

LSS
suthernwaterbird and
tacO5000?

*L
Old 02-22-2007, 12:28 PM   #8
my mini me

ndldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond repute
ndldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 190.81
LOL...sorry that was funny...
ndldy68 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2007, 01:31 PM   #9
Holy Indian Taco Batman!

Well, WhoMe, some of them are pretty cracked :-)
Old 02-22-2007, 05:28 PM   #10
nobody

suthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 394.00
Hey we are mearly helpin...none of us are head singers...we jus sing with this online drum group..called the rugged nuggets...Whome IS the head singer...so...BUST IT OUT CHIEF I...
Old 02-22-2007, 05:40 PM   #11
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by suthernwaterbird View Post
Hey we are mearly helpin...none of us are head singers...we jus sing with this online drum group..called the rugged nuggets...Whome IS the head singer...so...BUST IT OUT CHIEF I...

suthern,

I thought we agreed we were going to call our group the Oh Boyz..... because everytime we quit singin' ..... you head to the "O!"
Old 02-22-2007, 06:27 PM   #12
nobody

suthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond repute
NOOOO i said... its getin COLLDD..and ma beetsees are gettin harrdd...had to go get a jacket.... so it's settled...we're going as
scabby knees...or grey ankles...

SCREAMIN SQUIRRELS...
Old 02-22-2007, 08:36 PM   #13
Taskahoi Atsuti

LSS has a reputation beyond repute
LSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 278.94
Quote:
Originally Posted by suthernwaterbird View Post
NOOOO i said... its getin COLLDD..and ma beetsees are gettin harrdd...had to go get a jacket.... so it's settled...we're going as
scabby knees...or grey ankles...

SCREAMIN SQUIRRELS...
yeah...I left my coat back down south...dis SCREAMIN SQUIRREL hollars b/c its so cold he lost his nutts!....

To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!
LSS is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2007, 09:41 AM   #14
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
*LOL

Thanks for startin' my day with a good laugh!

Dang, you guys are tooooo much!
Old 02-23-2007, 10:56 AM   #15
nobody

Idk guys...but if we get this group together..i think we should let BILLY B. be head singer what ya think??