PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Southern Singing (http://forums.powwows.com/f19/)
-   -   Cedar Tree Singers (http://forums.powwows.com/f19/cedar-tree-singers-13087/)

oregongirl 08-31-2003 01:32 PM

Cedar Tree Singers

I was wondering who could give me some information on the Cedar Tree singers and how to see them perform. Thanks!

bqueton 09-05-2003 11:59 AM

You may be on the wrong side of the United States. Cedar Tree is from Virginia.

oregongirl 09-05-2003 12:34 PM

Cedartree

I know they are from Virginia. That is where I grew up. Thanks though:)

Black Crow 10-31-2008 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oregongirl (Post 265481)
I know they are from Virginia. That is where I grew up. Thanks though:)

I would like to know where i can buy their CD's

Thanks !!!

LSS 11-02-2008 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Crow (Post 1234674)
I would like to know where i can buy their CD's

Thanks !!!

Are you talking about the newest one "The Right Time"? It was released this past summer. Check out www.indians.org to see about ordering that if you're interested. I think there are even a song or two you can hear as a sample.

I haven't visited that site in a while. If I had a few extra I'd send you a copy but I'm all out.

WhoMe 11-03-2008 12:57 PM

I was just thinking about them this morning.

I was humming a tune composed by the late Austin Sebastian. This song was sung by Cedar Tree, Bad Medicine and another drum I heard recently.

Is Cedar Tree still singing?

LSS 11-03-2008 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhoMe (Post 1235601)
I was just thinking about them this morning.

I was humming a tune composed by the late Austin Sebastian. This song was sung by Cedar Tree, Bad Medicine and another drum I heard recently.

Is Cedar Tree still singing?

:lol: Good ol' Austin aye? Yeah...we sang that song a couple of weeks ago if we're talking about the same song. I know Austin composed several songs in his short lifetime.

Talk about funny! Austin was quite a character!

Yeah...Cedartree is still singing. Like other drum groups...folks move, priorities change as kids get older...you know the routine.

Have you heard "The Right Time"?

Joe's Dad 11-03-2008 05:05 PM

Is this the same Cedar Tree made up of guys from arounf the D.C. area? I believe the first time I heard them was the early 90's up around Baltimore or Virginia at Barry's powwows.

LSS 11-04-2008 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe's Dad (Post 1235791)
Is this the same Cedar Tree made up of guys from arounf the D.C. area? I believe the first time I heard them was the early 90's up around Baltimore or Virginia at Barry's powwows.

Lead by the "Rose Brothers"? Yeah...I don't know of any other Cedartree Singers.

Coyot_In_The_House 11-04-2008 12:37 PM

Cedartree....

Good music....Always enjoyed listening to them....Mike can make some keen drumstix! The buffalo hide drum sounded good with the stix he made.....

Geez I remember hearing about Austin.....He was a good person.....

Howz "Mr. Bill"?

Kamama 11-07-2008 05:26 PM

I know they sometimes go to the pow wow I believe its in Quicksburg Virginia at the Silver Phoenix Trading Post. There pow wow is normally the 3rd weekend in June or July. I dont remember, I use to go every year, but, havent been there for the past 2 years. But, look it up in the calender and see if its there yet. Thats where I got my CD of Cedar Tree, nice group of guys, my fiance got to chat with em a lil bit, Im shy, so, I just stood there haha.

WhoMe 11-09-2008 01:06 AM

Well, I just heard from one of their singers they are no more.

Their lead singer has moved away and they have disbanded.

:frown:

Kamama 11-10-2008 03:06 PM

NoooOoooOoo!!!! Well, I wish them all well, wherever they are, and in whatever they do. They was some good singers.

leadmaster3000 11-11-2008 12:44 AM

[QUOTE=LSS;1235307]Are you talking about the newest one "The Right Time"? It was released this past summer. Check out www.indians.org to see about ordering that if you're interested. I think there are even a song or two you can hear as a sample.

Hey I ordered a cd about 3-4 weeks ago and it hasn't arrived! I've tried emailing the contacts on the site, but I haven't gotten a response! Either something got messed up, or they're ripping people off! Has anyone else had this problem???