Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Southern Singing Da' Hammer Da' Hammer

Closed Thread LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2008, 02:40 PM   #21
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
southernsky is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
For anyone to say I owe my voice to anyone other than the Great Creator himself is absurd. I owe absolutely nothing to anyone.

So lets clear the dust.....
Yellowhammer....James Kemble, James Grant, Kinsel Lieb, Garland Kent Jr., Wes Hudson, Pat Moore.....they still out there people, heard they have a gig in Nevada coming up...best of luck to them in whatever the future holds for them.

Red Rock Crossing.....Mike Gawhega, Steven LittleCook, Pete LittleCook, Gideon GoodEagle, Jeff White, Gary Whitecloud Jr., Loyd Guinn, Eddie Roubedeaux, Alde Robedeaux, Kyle Robedeaux, John Arkeketa, John McIntosh, LittleBear LittleCook, OJ LittleCook, Pat Moore, Jade Roubedeaux

For those of you who are misinformed obviously, Yellowhammer is not all ponca as is RRC is not all otoe. For the most part RRC is 95% otoe maybe. But so what.

We started this RRC group just because we want to sing...that's all. I myself have wanted out of Yellowhammer for probably almost 10 years now. Just have never done it. So I finally did....what's the big deal? It happens to most groups......drum groups come and they go people. That's just the way it is. All we want is to find that good spirit once again, something that has left us long ago. That's all it's about...singing....not about who is who, what tribe is what, how many contests you can win....jus good ole SINGING. We have nothing to gain with nothing to prove. That's what is wrong with some of today's groups...it's like they have something to prove all the time. Nobody impresses me...and its not about that...The good spirit is being ruined...I just want to be able to find it and feel it again, because I dam sure miss it. But it's slowly coming back, just wish my brother Perry was here to enjoy it with us..
Old 10-12-2008, 06:11 PM   #22
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 38,634.63
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsky View Post
For anyone to say I owe my voice to anyone other than the Great Creator himself is absurd. I owe absolutely nothing to anyone.

Yellowhammer....James Kemble, James Grant, Kinsel Lieb, Garland Kent Jr., Wes Hudson, Pat Moore.....they still out there people, heard they have a gig in Nevada coming up...best of luck to them in whatever the future holds for them.

Red Rock Crossing.....Mike Gawhega, Steven LittleCook, Pete LittleCook, Gideon GoodEagle, Jeff White, Gary Whitecloud Jr., Loyd Guinn, Eddie Roubedeaux, Alde Robedeaux, Kyle Robedeaux, John Arkeketa, John McIntosh, LittleBear LittleCook, OJ LittleCook, Pat Moore, Jade Roubedeaux

For those of you who are misinformed obviously, Yellowhammer is not all ponca as is RRC is not all otoe. For the most part RRC is 95% otoe maybe. But so what.

We started this RRC group just because we want to sing...that's all. I myself have wanted out of Yellowhammer for probably almost 10 years now. Just have never done it. So I finally did....what's the big deal? It happens to most groups......drum groups come and they go people. That's just the way it is. All we want is to find that good spirit once again, something that has left us long ago. That's all it's about...singing....not about who is who, what tribe is what, how many contests you can win....jus good ole SINGING. We have nothing to gain with nothing to prove. That's what is wrong with some of today's groups...it's like they have something to prove all the time. Nobody impresses me...and its not about that...The good spirit is being ruined...I just want to be able to find it and feel it again, because I dam sure miss it. But it's slowly coming back, just wish my brother Perry was here to enjoy it with us..

Damn good words
And look forward to hearing you guys singing!!!
Old 10-12-2008, 09:44 PM   #23
Taskahoi Atsuti

LSS has a reputation beyond repute
LSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 278.94
Unless you are a singer, you really don't know whats up!

southernsky,

You touched on some very good words that not many people really understand. We were at drum practice tonight and a Cherokee/Choctaw woman came running down the road to sit and socialize with us. She told the story of how she had met us and what the drum had done for her.

The healing power of one's voice is nothing more than the gift from the Creator. And if you're doubly blessed to be gifted with the ability to compose songs...then that just makes the subject matter that much more special. For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, please allow me to try to explain this piece by piece.

When an individual is young (and here this may mean young in experience...not just age), they're not just learning the in's & out's of the songs...they're also strengthening their voice, learning how to manipulate their voices, etc., etc. During this time, as a young singer, our voices tend to "blend" with others and we are said to "sound like" another singer. About a year ago, maybe a little longer, I began to notice that I began to develop my own voice. I know this may sound odd to you (like an infant just noticing their hand), but young singers often do not know how to sing the songs themselves. Sometimes they may try to sound like others. Traveling around, singing with others at pow wows and at the Center Drum to sing Gourd...people who aren't very confident in themselves/voice tend to try to match others around them. A good bit of this is just natural dynamics of singing...No one wants to stand out like a sore thumb!

I am not saying any of this about my brother southernsky. For those who happen to be "fans" just because, just remember that there is always a side that you never know for whatever reason. Yes, the old crew of Yellowhammer had been about for quite some time and no one likes to see change in what we deem as good. But we all must remember that there comes a point in time when/where the stick has to be passed on...In some cases it is taken without warning.

I'm sure it is now his time. I know what that feels like and I wish Red Rock Crossing (as well as Yellowhammer) the best in their endeavors. I know they will do great things as they see fit and as they feel compelled/driven to do. In closing I'm gonna share with you something an elder in Oklahoma said to me when I visited with him some time ago...

"How old are you? Do you feel you have been given these songs by God? Then sing them."

This is the only right anyone ever truly needs. There comes a time when people "emerge" into who they are. It is the Creator talking. Too many of our people have lost their way and often need a fictitious item to prove their identity. It is often a lonely road doing what we deem as right. Having those who chose to support you and follow you gives you the greatest encouragment you could ever hope for.

Eingka biwa konta inwagenabai wayupaki
To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!
Old 10-12-2008, 09:48 PM   #24
Taskahoi Atsuti

LSS has a reputation beyond repute
LSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 278.94
Quote:
I just want to be able to find it and feel it again, because I dam sure miss it. But it's slowly coming back, just wish my brother Perry was here to enjoy it with us..
Oh yeah...by the way...just wanted to remind you, he'll always be with you. When those whistle carriers hit you boys up, or those elders come to tell you of the joy you put in their hearts, you'll be reminded of that extra seat that no one can fill.

LSS
To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!
Old 10-13-2008, 10:46 AM   #25
Junior Dancer

Ivanasnagu is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:

Thanks for the post. I wish RRC nothing but the best and good things. You guys rocked the house (okay, the tent) at Morongo and I'm looking forward to hearing your beautiful voices for years to come.

I agree, it's not about what tribe, it's about that spirit and that feeling that comes from our grandpa.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:20 PM   #26
Senior Dancer

luvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond repute
luvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 289.33
Southernsky, you are absolutely correct, you owe your voice to no one but the creator. A beautiful gift you posess - as do the rest of the RRC crew. I am the one that stated that your group was all Otoe. That is what my daughter Erin told me originally, so that is where my information came from, maybe it was from early talks when you first formed.

My family and I have always admired your voice and will continue to do so, don't care who you sing with as long as you sing. Can't wait to hear you all at a dance soon.

There are always old favorites, such a Yellowhammer, the old Southern Thunder, and the list goes on. But myself I am looking forward to a new favorite emerging, one that loves to sing to sing and I know that RRC will not let us down!

I apologize to you Southernsky for the error about RRC being all Otoe.....it's not about the tribe, but the singers and you guys and gals will rock any house that you are in, because you are singing because you love it.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:49 PM   #27
We'll See....

kiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond repute
kiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond repute
WOW!!!!

I'm excited to hear who is singing in RRC and that they are out and traveling!!!

I use to live in Okla. And one of the things my husband and I really missed when we left, was the sound of the Oklahoma southern singers. It's amazing the difference. I wouldn't attribute it all to one tribe. But I think the difference is the presence or attitude of the singers in general. I think it's also because when you go to most of the OK pws, they still have the center drum with the lead singer. So good/bad, old/young, new/seasoned, and multitribe voices are all singing. And they sing those song that just fill you soul with awe! It's amazing!

My husband and I use to say could you imagine how the drum would sound if these 8 - 10 guys were singing.... And the list was ever growing and changing.

It's awesome when we get the chance to go back!!
Old 10-13-2008, 02:45 PM   #28
is lost in reality...

50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute
50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute
Location: where no buffalo roam, but the prairie dogs do.....
Credits: 404.87
I wish you all the best and hope to hear you guys jamming out in my part of the world.......Hats off to the 'Hammer and good luck with RRC.....

...And shephards we shall be. For thee my lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand. That our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee. And teeming with souls shall it ever be. E Nomini Patri, E Fili, E Spiritu Sancti.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:08 PM   #29
Teen Dancer

travelingmocs has a reputation beyond repute
travelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond repute
Well lets look at the original drum Ft. Oakland Ramblers....... Then from there Yellowhammer and Yellow spotted poney, I think. Many groups have started from other groups. People get mad at one thing or another, usally money and leave and start there own group. In life thiings change all the time, and we just need to roll with them. There will always be new drums groups that are coming and going. And Southernsky put it best, you have to have that sprit. Thats what makes the people move out there.

Now a few weeks ago I was at a dance and there was Poncas, Otoes, Kiowas and I am sure other tribes. They all sat together at the drum and it was awsome in my eyes. Because they were all out there working together as one to make the people dance.

Last edited by travelingmocs; 10-13-2008 at 05:19 PM..
Old 10-16-2008, 11:53 PM   #30
hello

Items Present
superndngyrl has a reputation beyond repute
superndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,091.95
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingmocs View Post
Now a few weeks ago I was at a dance and there was Poncas, Otoes, Kiowas and I am sure other tribes.

and this was just one guy! *L*
Old 10-17-2008, 09:32 AM   #31
Powwow Dude

Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by superndngyrl View Post
and this was just one guy! *L*
Aint that the truth
LOL
I know lots that are Many Tribes
LOL
New tribe that is
Old 10-17-2008, 11:06 AM   #32
Pow Wow Visitor

okndnman is just really nice
Credits: 120.00
Southern sky

Last edited by okndnman; 10-17-2008 at 03:25 PM..
Old 10-17-2008, 01:42 PM   #33
Junior Dancer

Buh

Quote:
Originally Posted by okndnman View Post
Southern sky has a lot to learn.
Dang, don't we all?
Old 10-17-2008, 01:48 PM   #34
We'll See....

kiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond repute
kiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond repute

This is gonna get good.......
Old 10-17-2008, 01:48 PM   #35
Junior Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingmocs View Post
Now a few weeks ago I was at a dance and there was Poncas, Otoes, Kiowas and I am sure other tribes. They all sat together at the drum and it was awsome in my eyes. Because they were all out there working together as one to make the people dance.
That's how it is done in Okie country.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:18 PM   #36
Tiny Tot Dancer

farmer ned has a reputation beyond reputefarmer ned has a reputation beyond reputefarmer ned has a reputation beyond reputefarmer ned has a reputation beyond reputefarmer ned has a reputation beyond reputefarmer ned has a reputation beyond reputefarmer ned has a reputation beyond reputefarmer ned has a reputation beyond reputefarmer ned has a reputation beyond reputefarmer ned has a reputation beyond reputefarmer ned has a reputation beyond reputefarmer ned has a reputation beyond reputefarmer ned has a reputation beyond reputefarmer ned has a reputation beyond reputefarmer ned has a reputation beyond reputefarmer ned has a reputation beyond reputefarmer ned has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 792.15
Quote:
Originally Posted by superndngyrl View Post
buh.

Jade is Otoe.
and hawaiian
Old 10-17-2008, 04:20 PM   #37
Powwow Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanasnagu View Post
That's how it is done in Okie country.
Just about every weekend here in Oklahoma
LOL
Old 10-17-2008, 04:39 PM   #38
*~*~*

ok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond repute
ok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 371.64
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyaanii mom View Post

This is gonna get good.......

DANG! that's what I thought then I come back and it's changed.....prolly a good thing tho. LMAO Things just died down from that Morongo thread (but it was a lil entertaining.) Oh well, I'll go check and see what's happening elsewhere. geez.

Last edited by ok24stacey; 10-17-2008 at 04:42 PM..
Old 10-20-2008, 02:44 PM   #39
Teen Dancer

travelingmocs has a reputation beyond repute
travelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond repute
Yea I know thats how its done in Okie, been there many many times............... I enjoy when there is a head singer and all come together at the center and make us move.

Last edited by travelingmocs; 10-20-2008 at 02:46 PM..
Old 10-21-2008, 10:34 AM   #40
3 down and 1 to go! lol

Items SwordPresentPresent
Chevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond repute
Chevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 9,926.62
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer ned View Post
and hawaiian

dang is he? hmmmm, I didn't think there was too many of us.

I know, I know, totally off subject.

Hoka hey though, glad to hear there's another drum group out there singing to sing. That's always good.

"Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Dogs of War..."
Sponsored Links
Closed Thread