Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Southern Singing Dressing to come to the drum Dressing to come to the drum

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2004, 12:08 PM   #1
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,562.70
Savings: 0.00
Dressing to come to the drum

Is there an appropriate way to dress, when you come to the drum?

I have noticed a trend among younger singers. It is a "gangsta' type" of clothing trend. This includes T-shirts, shorts, sandles, heavy metal jewelry, crooked ball caps.

Hmmmmm?

Times are certainly changing.

In my part of the country and especially in my tribe, we take a little pride in coming to the drum. We are encouraged to wear long sleeved shirts (even in the hottest of days) and nice pants, shoes etc.

How do singers dress where you're from?

How do you think singers should dress when they are sitting around the drum?

Any other comments on dress ettiquette?
Old 12-09-2004, 12:58 PM   #2
Kili!

Wojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Talking

You should "dress" to the come to the drum. Dress nicely. Wear the best you have with you

This past weekend we sang at a dance and I wore slacks, a nice button up white shirt my wife gave me for xmas, a vest, a new Stetson my buddy gave me, and boots. I looked pretty decent until we went out to eat, and my little girl decided the white shirt would look prettier with red jello on it :rofl2:
Old 12-09-2004, 01:47 PM   #3
The Original OP CREW

AlmostThere is a name known to all
my little girl decided the white shirt would look prettier with red jello on it ......

awww
Old 12-09-2004, 04:32 PM   #4
Barstar..

Innocently_evil has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singerdad
You should "dress" to the come to the drum. Dress nicely. Wear the best you have with you
I totally agree with you here..... have respect for yourself and the Drum...
Old 12-09-2004, 08:57 PM   #5
Taskahoi Atsuti

LSS has a reputation beyond repute
LSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 278.94
Savings: 1.00
I typically wear long pants, my dress/casual black shoes, and short sleeve zip up or button up polo shirt. I have trouble finding shirts that don't restrict my arms. But, when push comes to shove, and I find one, I'll where a long sleeve button up shirt. Whatever I normally wear to large family gatherings on either mom or dad's side is what I'd wear to the drum, if not better.

I never dress bummy. But, I have seen my peers do so. And truthfully....its very tacky and disrespectful. It irks (sp?) me to no end when guys walk around w/ saggy britches! I'm like dude, I deal with this at school 5 days a week...not now please!
To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!
LSS is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-10-2004, 06:26 PM   #6
Muzzy Dancer

Native_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond repute
I was taught to always wear jeans. But i think it is important to wear ur best cause ur showin respect to that drum. U dont jus want to go out to the drum wearing wat ever cause u dont want to show disrespect.....thats jus wat ive been taught.
Native_Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-10-2004, 08:01 PM   #7
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Just once, just...............once, I'd like to see an entire drum group show up all dressed in the style of the "Blues Brothers". Just once.
Kiwehnzii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-10-2004, 10:16 PM   #8
Taskahoi Atsuti

LSS has a reputation beyond repute
LSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 278.94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwehnzii
Just once, just...............once, I'd like to see an entire drum group show up all dressed in the style of the "Blues Brothers". Just once.
Goot Goo-Ga-Li-Goo! :rofl2:

I'd love to see that too
To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!
LSS is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-10-2004, 11:09 PM   #9
Barstar..

Innocently_evil has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwehnzii

LOL..the thought of that just turns me right on.... :bouncy:
Old 12-15-2004, 07:58 AM   #10
Junior Dancer

Red Blanket has a reputation beyond reputeRed Blanket has a reputation beyond reputeRed Blanket has a reputation beyond reputeRed Blanket has a reputation beyond reputeRed Blanket has a reputation beyond reputeRed Blanket has a reputation beyond reputeRed Blanket has a reputation beyond reputeRed Blanket has a reputation beyond reputeRed Blanket has a reputation beyond reputeRed Blanket has a reputation beyond reputeRed Blanket has a reputation beyond reputeRed Blanket has a reputation beyond reputeRed Blanket has a reputation beyond reputeRed Blanket has a reputation beyond reputeRed Blanket has a reputation beyond reputeRed Blanket has a reputation beyond reputeRed Blanket has a reputation beyond reputeRed Blanket has a reputation beyond repute
Dressing to sing

I am either in my Straight Dance Suit or Jeans, Boots, & Button Front Shirt or Polo Shirt.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:23 AM   #11
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Blanket
Button Front Shirt or Polo Shirt.
What brand? What do you recommend? Is Hilfiger too gangsterish?
Kiwehnzii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2004, 01:26 PM   #12
Junior Dancer

mountaindew will become famous soon enough
Credits: 1,241.76
I like to see singers dressed in long sleeved dress shirts, nice dress pants or jeans, boots or dress shoes, hats (if they have them). I really hate seeing how some of the younger ones dress nowadays. BUT, how you dress doesn't really affect how you sing.
mountaindew is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2004, 03:48 PM   #13
whip cream is better

kneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond repute
kneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 80.00
I wear a submissive S&M outfit minus the gag ball.....LOL
Old 12-16-2004, 04:09 AM   #14
Wookie Lodge

old_schooldancer2004 has a reputation beyond repute
old_schooldancer2004 has a reputation beyond reputeold_schooldancer2004 has a reputation beyond reputeold_schooldancer2004 has a reputation beyond reputeold_schooldancer2004 has a reputation beyond reputeold_schooldancer2004 has a reputation beyond reputeold_schooldancer2004 has a reputation beyond reputeold_schooldancer2004 has a reputation beyond reputeold_schooldancer2004 has a reputation beyond reputeold_schooldancer2004 has a reputation beyond reputeold_schooldancer2004 has a reputation beyond reputeold_schooldancer2004 has a reputation beyond reputeold_schooldancer2004 has a reputation beyond reputeold_schooldancer2004 has a reputation beyond reputeold_schooldancer2004 has a reputation beyond reputeold_schooldancer2004 has a reputation beyond reputeold_schooldancer2004 has a reputation beyond reputeold_schooldancer2004 has a reputation beyond repute
When I sing, I usually a nice button-up or collar shirt. I wear a hat, but its usually wore straight on or backwards. I'm not the "gangsta" dress like person. Sometimes, I'll wear a bandana, but I don't wear it like a "gangsta". I usually keep it simple.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:18 AM   #15
Wookie Lodge

old_schooldancer2004 has a reputation beyond reputeold_schooldancer2004 has a reputation beyond reputeold_schooldancer2004 has a reputation beyond reputeold_schooldancer2004 has a reputation beyond reputeold_schooldancer2004 has a reputation beyond reputeold_schooldancer2004 has a reputation beyond reputeold_schooldancer2004 has a reputation beyond reputeold_schooldancer2004 has a reputation beyond reputeold_schooldancer2004 has a reputation beyond reputeold_schooldancer2004 has a reputation beyond reputeold_schooldancer2004 has a reputation beyond reputeold_schooldancer2004 has a reputation beyond reputeold_schooldancer2004 has a reputation beyond reputeold_schooldancer2004 has a reputation beyond reputeold_schooldancer2004 has a reputation beyond reputeold_schooldancer2004 has a reputation beyond reputeold_schooldancer2004 has a reputation beyond repute
Sometimes I dress like this at Pow-Wows when I sing.

ayez!

Naw, I'm just playin.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:33 PM   #16
I don't do this for fun!

TacO5000 has a reputation beyond repute
TacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 232.00
Post Dudds

We Southern NDN'z have a way of dressing when we sing... mostly Cowboy dress or nice pants.... Remember we sit in the middle mostly so everyone sees us..... I mean Every One! I was in Commanche Country on time and I see a Commanche (young guy) wearing Shorts....He Knew better than that.... I am surprized that An Old Lady didn't come out and Scold Him? Basic We Know better..... But there are a few ppl that do any ol' thang.... and like I said everyone see em'...
Old 12-16-2004, 03:51 PM   #17
Wookie Lodge

I was always taught to look nice whenever I sing. I always wear pants and a nice shirt. Sometimes at Pow-Wow when I don't sing, I'll dress in a tee and shorts, but I usually dress the same all the time.