Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Southern Singing Is the drum sacred? Is the drum sacred?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2003, 07:16 PM   #21
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
traditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
I don't know too much about drums or making them, but here's my two-cents:

I remember watching this old Ojibwe couple tie what they called a little-boy water drum and they explained its' power and meaning as they did this.

Also, I won't name names or the drum group(s) involved but this is such a cool story that was told to me a couple years ago...

My friend is a lead singer of a well-known Saskatchewan drum group and he told me this story. It happened a couple summers ago. He was at a pow-wow and the first night he noticed this one old man that was standing near them that kept looking at them and the drum. He noticed the old man standing around them again the next day, and also the day after that. Then finally on the last day of the pow-wow the old man came up to him and told him that he'd been watching them all week-end and he said that their drum was tired, and it was time for them to change the skin. He told him that there are only about five drums (from Sask. area) that can be heard in the spirit world, and their drum was one of them. Anyways, after that pow-wow they were going to practice and the first time they hit the drum it broke.

So I think yes, drums can definitely have power and a spirit, and be considered as sacred.

Last edited by traditional dancer; 07-17-2003 at 07:18 PM..
traditional dancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2003, 09:33 PM   #22
Pow Wow Visitor

ndnchica2004 is an unknown quantity at this point
Well since drums are considered to be sacred and they are used to contest. Look at dancers almost everything that they wear is sacred and they use that to contest to. so i dont think its any different. And i no most drums put something in between mother earth and the drum weather its a blanket or a stand (legs) but the reasons that i no of are because if the drum gets cold then "it goes to sleep" (but it depends what kind of skin) and also when you sing on the drum with your sticks then it moves so its just what different drums use.
And it depends on the Lead singer to what he wants around the drum and what rules he has set for the drums and the singers around the drum.
ndnchica2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2003, 07:13 AM   #23
Teen Dancer

Jammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 220.00
Gotta say you can't say they are sacred and jam to em at a 9 later on that night.
Old 08-03-2003, 12:46 AM   #24
I don't do this for fun!

TacO5000 has a reputation beyond repute
TacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 232.00
Savings: 1.00
It's like this folks. in the southern world. before you sing on a drum it needs to be smoked, that is a powwow drum. a drum is not sacred. depending on the tribe, they all treat it with respect. the poncas talk to there drum. When you sing on a drum you rub it with your hand and when your are paid you rub your money on the drum to show it respect. the drum helped you earn the money. remember ya'll it's a tube with hide around it. it's a tool we use to sing songs. it's not a breathing creature. you white folks blow everything out of perportion. Stop it and listen to Indians. I hate when a White person thinks they know more than an indian. And white people have pride in what god made you. Your always trying to be something your not. I'm was born NDN and will Die NDN! Respect your self. I know I do! OKlahoma Till I Die!!! BIGG OKC SOUTHSIDE!!
Old 08-03-2003, 09:51 PM   #25
Ta' Shunke Witko

Pheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Is the drum sacred?

Quote:
Originally posted by WhoMe
I often hear powwow singers and announcers say the drum is sacred.

What makes it sacred?

"Powwow drums" as we know them are a little over a 100 years old. (have you ever seen a picture of a tribe moving camp with a big ole' drum loaded on the back of the travois)?:p

Some drums are blessed before they are put on the dance arena.

Other than that, why is a drum sacred?????????
:rofl2: :rofl2:
MITAKUYE OYASIN... "then I was standing on the highest mountain of them all , and round about beneath me was the whole hoop of the world . and while i stood there I saw more than I can tell . and I Under Stood more then I saw . for I Was Seeing in a Sacred manner the Shapes of All . Hehaka Sapa. dec 1863-aug 17 or 19 , 1950.. listen online TO KILI 90.1 FM porcupine butte
Pheji Wanbli is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2003, 09:56 PM   #26
Ta' Shunke Witko

Pheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by billyjoejimbob
some are, some aren't.

ive hear people say treat the drum like you would treat your mom.

a good rebuttal to that would be, "do we beat our mothers with sticks?"

I have also hear the the drum is referred to in a female sense.
i think your lost ,you need too touch the ground where my drum has been.
MITAKUYE OYASIN... "then I was standing on the highest mountain of them all , and round about beneath me was the whole hoop of the world . and while i stood there I saw more than I can tell . and I Under Stood more then I saw . for I Was Seeing in a Sacred manner the Shapes of All . Hehaka Sapa. dec 1863-aug 17 or 19 , 1950.. listen online TO KILI 90.1 FM porcupine butte
Pheji Wanbli is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2003, 04:17 PM   #27
Teen Dancer

MeezeeKwe has a reputation beyond reputeMeezeeKwe has a reputation beyond reputeMeezeeKwe has a reputation beyond reputeMeezeeKwe has a reputation beyond reputeMeezeeKwe has a reputation beyond reputeMeezeeKwe has a reputation beyond reputeMeezeeKwe has a reputation beyond reputeMeezeeKwe has a reputation beyond reputeMeezeeKwe has a reputation beyond reputeMeezeeKwe has a reputation beyond reputeMeezeeKwe has a reputation beyond reputeMeezeeKwe has a reputation beyond reputeMeezeeKwe has a reputation beyond reputeMeezeeKwe has a reputation beyond reputeMeezeeKwe has a reputation beyond reputeMeezeeKwe has a reputation beyond repute
Go NDNTACO49!!! Say it like it izzz!!!!
MeezeeKwe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2003, 03:10 AM   #28
Eater of all frybread!!

Fat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,435.60
That drum is as sacred as you want it to be. Take care of it and it will take care of you. Some people have 1 drum and use it for everything. Others have a singing drum and a 9 drum, etc. Some people I have met think the pow wow drum should be treated with respect because it comes from those prayer tools or Grandfathers. Some feel that the moment you start singing some of those songs, you start talking to the big one upstairs. But hey, I only know what others have told me so...
Fat Albert is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2003, 05:41 PM   #29
Tiny Tot Dancer

bqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond repute
You guys got me confused! I need to go sleep on this one!
bqueton is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2003, 05:52 PM   #30
Tiny Tot Dancer

Charlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond repute
Is the bible sacred, crucifix, pipe, eagle feather, tobacco? These are just objects. By them selves they would be nothing. It is only in the hands of a person that uses these spiritual tools in a sacred manner that makes them sacred.

Now after you have taken a deep breath let me explain. If we took the drum and encased it in glass and just kept it there to look at, while we know the true power behind it is in the use of it, what good would it be? Yes, we could look at it and remember how it was given and where it came from, but if it is not used in the manner it was intended it would be as any other object on display in a museum.

Think on this one. ;)
Charlie TwoShirts is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2003, 06:07 PM   #31
Tiny Tot Dancer

bqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond repute
I like the comments earlier in the post that refered to the asking the elders. This made me laugh cause when my brother and I took our drum to Tahlequah this past Labor Day Weekend, a younger singer that was singing with us told us not to rest our drum sticks leaning on the drum. He then tried to tell us all about what we already knew. Then one of the older singers (an old Kiowa man) jump him and asked him "Why?" The fight was on! We sat and listened to the two of them for half an hour, rolling and laughing. And yes the Old Kiowa had the last word sending the young kids head down in shame. Basically, what came of this was:

I treat my drum with the respects that my grandfather taught me. My drum does carry medicine. I don't drink around it. I don't leave it out in the rain. We say a prayer on it before we sing on it. I do eat around my drum from time to time cause I get hungry. But I do respect my drum. When someone elses drum is being used, I treat it with the respect that person uses. Some take it to an extreme, others don't treat it with enough respect in my opinion. I've sang with a few drum groups who always say "Rookie carries the drum". I was taught that it is an honor to carry that drum into the arena. I always carry my drum into the arena or let someone who I respect do it. When someone asks me to carry the drum, I am honored to do so. Some may do things differently in your part of NDN Country. But I know I'm right as this is what my grandfather taught me. And you are right doing what ever your grandfather taught you, even though we may do things differently.

Last edited by bqueton; 10-20-2003 at 06:22 PM..
Old 10-20-2003, 06:30 PM   #32
Eater of all frybread!!

Fat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,435.60
Charlie & bqueton, I like how you guys put that to words. Question for bqueton: did the younger singer walk away with some learning after talking with the Old Kiowa? Unfortunately, too many people get into stuff like that and walk away cussing the elders for demonstrating they were 'wrong'. Sounds like an interesting exchange!
Fat Albert is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2003, 06:56 PM   #33
Tiny Tot Dancer

No he didn't leave. He took it as a learning experience. He wasn't right, but just maybe he wasn't wrong either. What I learned is; dont go to someone elses drum and tell them they are wrong. If you absolutley don't agree with them, don't sing with them. And if they don't know, they should ask.

Last edited by bqueton; 10-20-2003 at 06:59 PM..
Old 10-21-2003, 01:15 AM   #34
PowWows.com Addicts

ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
of course the drum is sacred no matter where it goes ya silly buncha ndns. :p

ojibwaysweetie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-21-2003, 02:16 AM   #35
Tiny Tot Dancer

49singer is an unknown quantity at this point
Who me seems to draw everyone in with his quest for knowledge, yet as the post go on, he seems to be more knowledgable than he initially lets on. Or maybe he's just trying to stir things up. LOL.
49singer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2003, 05:33 PM   #36
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,582.70
_____

Thanks a lot 49Singer. (*L w/ a crooked smile!)
_____

Through this thread I learned the following:

1. A pigs head stretched over a tube CAN be considered "sacred."

2. Different tribes have different beliefs concerning the drum. (a no brainer.)

3. Some people can't distinguish between a ceremonial drum and a powwow drum.

4. Good stories are just that.

oh AND> > >

5. Kiowa men always get the last word in. *LOL

____

Okay.

(*psht! opens one of lblcook's cold ones and stretches out)

What about Indian artisans who sell drums as furniture and wall hangings? (Yeah, they are in the booths at a lot of powwows. We've all seen them.)

What about 49 drums? (yeah, a lot of you have sung around them before!)

What about powwow drums that are plain old marching band drums? (the exact duplicate used by the Florida Seminoles and Fighting Illini).

Are these all STILL sacred?
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-23-2003, 02:08 AM   #37
Tiny Tot Dancer

49singer is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry to bust you out Whome. LOL. When I started reading this post, the first thing that came to my mind was the 9 drum. How can we stand around drinking, cursing, sometimes commiting alcohol abuse, by spilling beer on the drum, (never done this myself, but seen it happen, when drunk fell into singers), and consider it sacred. I think you have to differentiate between ceremony, powwow, and the nine drum. Would you ever use your powwow drum for a nine? Some would. Would you take your drum used for ceremonies to a nine? i'm going to say probably not.

I don't think "is the drum sacred?" is a specific enough question to get a true answer. I think you have to specify what drum, and go from there.

Just a side note. Although I would not consider a 49 drum sacred, many folks do worship the porcelain god, or the outdoor equivilant after the 49. LOL

Last edited by 49singer; 10-23-2003 at 02:11 AM..
49singer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2003, 05:11 AM   #38
Tiny Tot Dancer

Charlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond repute
Ones that are drinkers say the drum is not sacred.

Think on this one ;)
Charlie TwoShirts is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2003, 06:54 PM   #39
BikerBoyNDNStyle

DANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant future
Credits: 70.00
I must say that I have enjoyed reading all of these posts. From this, I can tell that everyone has a difference of opinion about the drum. Now I guess that I can add my little 2 cents :D .

As for me, I try to convey to the younger folks that you should treat the drum with respect. I let them know that you should not use any foul language around it, no drugs or alcohol are to be used around it, and no horseplay (etc. running,jumping,throwing things).

I try to treat the drum as I do my Pulpit at my Church. It does not matter whether I am at my drum or invited to drum with someone else. I always treat the drum the same. Whether it is sacred or not is for each one of us to decide. But for me, it is as sacred as my Pulpit.

Now that is my 2 cents worth :D .
Old 08-18-2004, 03:08 PM   #40
Pow Wow Visitor

moon_tears24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face

the "pow wow drum" or "grandfather drum" or as some nations calls it "western drum" ...its sacred cuz the creator has sent it to us as a way to thank the creator and all life around us, and it has kept our native traditions alive..with out this drum there really wouldnt be a pow wow and for alot of us the pow wow connects us to the creator and each other...you guys dont need to get all mad at each other eh...crazy ppl :6:
moon_tears24 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links