Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Southern Singing Drumsticks!!!  A Dying Art... Drumsticks!!! A Dying Art...

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2006, 05:23 PM   #1
Southern Singer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
slysouthernguy will become famous soon enough
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Talking Drumsticks!!! A Dying Art...

I'm a southern singer, it's in my bones. I'm alright, decent voice, good volume and a good stick, but I still got a lot to learn.

Just like Hatori Hanzo in the movie "Kill Bill", I have exeptional skill in creating the tools of my trade. I can say with no ego that the sticks I make are pretty darn good sticks. They've got good weight, they look outstanding and they last. I have been around pow wow since I was carrying water to singers at the small pow wows almost 30 years ago, and I have seen alot of sticks in my time.

Recently I have been seeing a ton of ragged, rugged, rugly sticks wandering around. I know that it's always the oldies that are goodies, but damn...

Even the "new" sticks you can find at pawn shops and pow wows look nasty.

A year ago, I was honored with a set of sticks made by one of the gentlemen from Southern Outlawz ( I would love to find out who it is). The aforementioned sticks were the best sticks I have ever seen. Their creation was just about perfect. So nice, in fact, that I would not let anyone on my drum try to personalize them by changing the colors and such.

So as a shout out. To the guy who made that set of sticks for the Owens family to give away, AMAZING JOB! I would definitely buy or trade for more.

Anyone else have any props to give for any drumstick makers?

Anyone have any poignant anecdotes on the drumstick state of affairs?

If so, speak up.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:03 PM   #2
Member since March 2000.

Mr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 60.00
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by slysouthernguy
I'm a southern singer, it's in my bones. I'm alright, decent voice, good volume and a good stick, but I still got a lot to learn.

Just like Hatori Hanzo in the movie "Kill Bill", I have exeptional skill in creating the tools of my trade. I can say with no ego that the sticks I make are pretty darn good sticks. They've got good weight, they look outstanding and they last. I have been around pow wow since I was carrying water to singers at the small pow wows almost 30 years ago, and I have seen alot of sticks in my time.

Recently I have been seeing a ton of ragged, rugged, rugly sticks wandering around. I know that it's always the oldies that are goodies, but damn...

Even the "new" sticks you can find at pawn shops and pow wows look nasty.

A year ago, I was honored with a set of sticks made by one of the gentlemen from Southern Outlawz ( I would love to find out who it is). The aforementioned sticks were the best sticks I have ever seen. Their creation was just about perfect. So nice, in fact, that I would not let anyone on my drum try to personalize them by changing the colors and such.

So as a shout out. To the guy who made that set of sticks for the Owens family to give away, AMAZING JOB! I would definitely buy or trade for more.

Anyone else have any props to give for any drumstick makers?

Anyone have any poignant anecdotes on the drumstick state of affairs?

If so, speak up.
I concur.....stick making is sort of something not many really are good at...but, I supposed it's like anything else. You want the best, you gotta put out or look for it. When you do find it.....it's typically in demand, and the prices are right up there.

On the Outlawz' sticks.

They certainly do make good sticks. I've got a few of em....my only complaint is that the leather wears out pretty quick. Otherwise....they're exceptional. They tend to use pigskin alot.....which is fine, it just wears out faster. The better ones they put out are good quality buckskin, with damn fine tapework.

I believe it's JR Keeswood that's putting those sticks out. ....I could be wrong, so, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that someone.

He makes alot of them for other groups.....like Youngbird. Typicaly price on one of his sticks is around $20. ....decent, and fair considering the amount of work that goes into them. Then again.....I've seen some he's done that were in the neighborhood of $40 per stick.

"When the God's wish to punish us, they grant our prayers."

O. Wilde
Mr Bo Jangles is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2006, 01:43 PM   #3
I don't do this for fun!

TacO5000 has a reputation beyond repute
TacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 232.00
I make a decent drum stick....
Old 11-17-2006, 07:58 PM   #4
Singer/ Dancer

RedShield has a reputation beyond repute
RedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 369.00
I've made a few drumsticks so far, and even sold a few at request of other drums that wanted some after they had used mine... but... the best drumsticks I've ever come across are made by Sterling Big Bear off of White Hawk... they're the best I've seen or used so fat, good weight and you can't tell where the stitches he uses are... pretty cool!
Old 11-18-2006, 08:02 AM   #5
Southern Chummie

Niwiwan2005 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up A-1 Drum Sticks!!

I agree that drum-stick making isn't what it used to be. On my drum, we all practice the craft; but, our eldest member wins hands-down!! He considers the length of the person's arm and designs a well-balanced stick which has good looks and ample strength and whip. The man, John Baratono, does excellent work!! Keep the faith John!!
Niwiwan2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2006, 12:27 AM   #6
Singer/ Dancer

RedShield has a reputation beyond repute
RedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 369.00
Leon Lodge made some pretty sweet sticks too... not many horse-hair wrap anymore...

Leon is missed!

Paselo!
Old 11-19-2006, 09:06 PM   #7
Wabanewtas Eeyou

Eastern Cree has a reputation beyond reputeEastern Cree has a reputation beyond reputeEastern Cree has a reputation beyond reputeEastern Cree has a reputation beyond reputeEastern Cree has a reputation beyond reputeEastern Cree has a reputation beyond reputeEastern Cree has a reputation beyond reputeEastern Cree has a reputation beyond reputeEastern Cree has a reputation beyond reputeEastern Cree has a reputation beyond reputeEastern Cree has a reputation beyond reputeEastern Cree has a reputation beyond reputeEastern Cree has a reputation beyond reputeEastern Cree has a reputation beyond reputeEastern Cree has a reputation beyond reputeEastern Cree has a reputation beyond reputeEastern Cree has a reputation beyond reputeEastern Cree has a reputation beyond repute
cloth,rope,wood

My hand drum stick is good