Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Southern Singing Family drum Family drum

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2009, 10:23 AM   #21
Singing Guru

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Da' Messenger has a reputation beyond reputeDa' Messenger has a reputation beyond reputeDa' Messenger has a reputation beyond reputeDa' Messenger has a reputation beyond reputeDa' Messenger has a reputation beyond reputeDa' Messenger has a reputation beyond reputeDa' Messenger has a reputation beyond reputeDa' Messenger has a reputation beyond reputeDa' Messenger has a reputation beyond reputeDa' Messenger has a reputation beyond reputeDa' Messenger has a reputation beyond reputeDa' Messenger has a reputation beyond reputeDa' Messenger has a reputation beyond reputeDa' Messenger has a reputation beyond reputeDa' Messenger has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Honor Beats!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
Actually you did get your answer...
Several very respected singers have posted the answer

Problem with the OA they dont want to hear anything different than what is in the book
LOL
As if this is all in a book
You are not the first to come on here and post looking for backup and when it is not forthcoming you get in a huff and leave
Dang I wish I had a nickle for every one that did that
I would be a rich man...

Too bad you cant see the Youtube video for you would have heard a damn good song
Haw! Goot one! Josiah!

Now that being said, What are you honoring when you do your "honor beats"? Are you "honor beating" because the book said so? That was written by a Caucasian, wanting to interpret the Arts of Aboriginal/Indigenous/Native American Drumming! Well my friend your not going to the answers in that book. You will actually have to travel to the Reservations of this country (there are lot of em!) and Canada to find out what it means to "honor beat". And if they're willing to tell you anyways. How lame to ask about something first of all that doesn't belong to you in the first place and then post back to say you didn't get your answers! Please stop trying to be something you weren't created for. Selah!
Da' Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2009, 10:29 AM   #22
Holy Indian Taco Batman!

hobbs49 has a reputation beyond repute
hobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 49.99
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Ok my turn for Riddles
What do you hear in this song
What do you see in this song

Answer: NO O.A.
BUT....

The other thing that you can see in this video is a couple of young singers who hold their own at the drum. That's really cool to see! The cycle continues!
Old 03-06-2009, 10:50 AM   #23
Holy Indian Taco Batman!

hobbs49 has a reputation beyond repute
hobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 49.99
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancefl View Post
Thank You all for coming out and reading this thread. Unfortunately not many people have answered the original question that was posted and futhermore saw this as an opprotunity to haul the OA's, my friends, my reigon's, and my own a$$es over a hot fire. Josiah, I don't hear or see anything since to quote YouTube:"We're sorry, this video is no longer availiable." I don't think I will be posting here any longer.
Ta-Ta-For-Now
By the way, you brought the BSA and OA into the conversation in response to WhoMe. It was mentioned as though it were some sort of birthright or something.

If you've spent any time looking around PW.com at all before rushing in to ask a question, you would have known that the BSA and OA would not necessarily help your argument. I've been active on PW.com for some time and I think that most everyone knows I'm not native. Most probably suspect I'm also from the BSA/OA background. But it's not something that I throw around partially becasue I was actually going to powwows before I was in scouting and therefore wasn't really overly influenced by the BSA/OA concept of Indianism/Nativeness/whatever the right word is and partly because, I lurked around this site for over a year learning in the background how many people who frequent this board feel about and react to certain things, BSA/OA being one of those.

I guess what I'm trying to do is echo what Josiah has said. If you're gonna come on here and ask questions, you need to listen very carefully because most answers aren't going to blurted out like the answer of "What's 2+2". Instead you'll get hints, jabs, jokes, and questions all of which will help you understand if you're listening and ready to hear.

That's just my $0.02 for you and others who may follow you who believe that somehow being in OA gives you some right to be NDN. I'm not and you never will be either.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:27 PM   #24
Pow Wow Visitor

dancefl is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 405.56
Thanks
dancefl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2009, 06:35 PM   #25
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 38,634.63
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs49 View Post
BUT....

The other thing that you can see in this video is a couple of young singers who hold their own at the drum. That's really cool to see! The cycle continues!
It was one of the reasons why I picked that video! Always good to see them young ones sitting at the drum WITH more experienced singers, It helps them learn what they need to know, this is learn as you go and that takes a Lifetime that is for sure
Old 03-06-2009, 06:36 PM   #26
Powwow Dude

Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs49 View Post
By the way, you brought the BSA and OA into the conversation in response to WhoMe. It was mentioned as though it were some sort of birthright or something.

If you've spent any time looking around PW.com at all before rushing in to ask a question, you would have known that the BSA and OA would not necessarily help your argument. I've been active on PW.com for some time and I think that most everyone knows I'm not native. Most probably suspect I'm also from the BSA/OA background. But it's not something that I throw around partially becasue I was actually going to powwows before I was in scouting and therefore wasn't really overly influenced by the BSA/OA concept of Indianism/Nativeness/whatever the right word is and partly because, I lurked around this site for over a year learning in the background how many people who frequent this board feel about and react to certain things, BSA/OA being one of those.

I guess what I'm trying to do is echo what Josiah has said. If you're gonna come on here and ask questions, you need to listen very carefully because most answers aren't going to blurted out like the answer of "What's 2+2". Instead you'll get hints, jabs, jokes, and questions all of which will help you understand if you're listening and ready to hear.

That's just my $0.02 for you and others who may follow you who believe that somehow being in OA gives you some right to be NDN. I'm not and you never will be either.
Good words
Old 03-07-2009, 01:26 AM   #27
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 126,213.15
Quote:
That is my definition of proper, I also want to take the time to thank everyone for reading this and commenting.
And TacO5000, I am a singer on that particular drum (look for the new dancer with a CD in his roach around the drum), I have drastically improved my regalia and am now a traditional dancer
with a new bustle. I also have 2 just-for-fun challenges for everyone: name the fancy dancer (he is a member on this site) and name the lodge I'm from (hint: I'm south of the Okefenokee and Cherokee of GA)
So as a Northern Traditional Dancer, do you wear an Eagle Bustle like most Northern Traditional Dancers wear?

If you do, can you post a pic?

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2009, 06:04 PM   #28
Taskahoi Atsuti

LSS has a reputation beyond repute
LSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 278.94
Quote:
Good words
And you know Josiah, because of his understanding and knowledge of the ways, Hobbs will be (and probably has been) accepted by many Native Communities where ever he goes. Just his words here alone suggest he's a man of service who likes doing his thing under the radar.

Wish others could/would pick up this way...but then again...this is something that is really taught in the home & in the communities.

If you haven't grown up this way, its hard to find/understand your place.
To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!
LSS is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2009, 03:36 AM   #29
Powwow Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSS View Post
And you know Josiah, because of his understanding and knowledge of the ways, Hobbs will be (and probably has been) accepted by many Native Communities where ever he goes. Just his words here alone suggest he's a man of service who likes doing his thing under the radar.

Wish others could/would pick up this way...but then again...this is something that is really taught in the home & in the communities.

If you haven't grown up this way, its hard to find/understand your place.
I agree wholeheartedly!!!
Old 03-08-2009, 05:41 PM   #30
nobody

suthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 394.00
lol wow....some people dont want to learn...and "if you kill em' they won't learn nuthin" (what movie? guess guess) Honor beats down beats whatever you want to call them...I would say have evolved tremendously since they're NORTHERN origin. From my humble grasshoppin' self, I was LEARNT that these "beats" we throw in there, aren't for decoration, aren't for tempo or any other type of control what so ever. They would only throw that SINGLE beat in their to announce to the dancers and anyone listening that they had something to say, as in the next verse would consist of words and that everyone should listen. The majority of these dances, were the most common way to tell stories, and as the dances were continued on, personal songs were made for specific reasons/people/events etc. Other songs were just mainly vocable songs with no spoken language. Therefor to announce the song had a story, the single beat was thrown in there to capture attention, so that the entire story was heard and understood...now this could be right, this could be a different version, idk. I do know that i gained this knowledge from someone greatly respected. Take it or leave it.
btw its from the movie batman forever, from "The Riddler" excellently portrayed by Jim Carrey.
_suthernwaterbird
Old 03-09-2009, 09:41 AM   #31
Pow Wow Visitor

[IMG]F:/bustle.jpeg[/IMG]Here is what I was taught: There are 3 accented beats after the 1st part of the song; we called them 'honor beats', these occured in the pause that occurred after the 1st part. There occasionally was one hard beat after the singers had sung the leadline.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:44 AM   #32
Pow Wow Visitor

If somebody could help with the posting of this image then that would be great because I might have done it wrong.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:27 PM   #33
Powwow Dude

Quote:
If somebody could help with the posting of this image then that would be great because I might have done it wrong.
Easiest way to upload images onto Powwow.com is to create them in Photobucket and then cut and paste the image code directly here

for example:
Old 04-25-2009, 02:20 AM   #34
Singer/ Dancer

RedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond repute
RedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 369.00
Wow, I always miss the good stuff when life gets too busy... LOL

When you are talking about honor beats... that always implies northern style to me. When I was learning how to sing southern, those three strong beats I think you are referring to were called a salute by those that taught me, and we would normally "rock" (Strong, weak, Strong, weak, Strong, weak) them the first two starts, push-ups... whatever you want to call them then go to the just the Three strong beats for the remainder of the song.

There are a lot of elements that are creeping into Contemporary songs... and I have heard a set of Northern Honor Beats after the salute a lot more often these days... as for proper or improper, things change... it's the nature of humanity. The addition of Northern Style honor beats after the salute is something that's happening... whether we like it or not is all a matter of personal taste... me personally, I like to keep it the way I was taught... no honor beats for me thanks! LOL

And before anyone says anything... region to region the terminology changes... what I was taught was called a "salute" may not be what you were taught to call it by... and you know what, that's perfectly cool... maybe you were taught to call them honor beats... I have my own preferences in terminolgy because of what I've learned, and how I learned it... it's all good...

Later!
Old 04-25-2009, 11:42 AM   #35
Pow Wow Visitor

RedShield and everybody who read this,
Thank you. I guess I wasn't communicating as well as I thought. Thank you for taking the time to read and post on this topic.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:33 PM   #36
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,578.70
Quote:
Originally Posted by suthernwaterbird View Post
... They would only throw that SINGLE beat in their to announce to the dancers and anyone listening that they had something to say, ....

suthern,

This is similar to what I was told too.

Last edited by WhoMe; 04-29-2009 at 01:49 PM..
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-01-2009, 01:55 PM   #37
nobody

suthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 394.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post
suthern,

This is similar to what I was told too.

So that WASN'T just the voices in my head...SHEW!! Lol jokes