Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Southern Singing Feathering a Drum??? Feathering a Drum???

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2006, 11:30 AM   #61
Kiowakat's #1 fan

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
hywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scale
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipis
It is sad that you will not have or have lost the knoweledge of those who did come before you because of your lack of tack or sensability. It is easier to put down than to just listen and ask a good question.
trying to figure out just how much slamming you are trying to do to ndn's here. Just because they don't like what you say doesnt mean they dont know their culture lmao. I know some of these ppl you write against are real ndn's with their culture in tact.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:44 AM   #62
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,582.70
Quote:
... there are many people on this site who just like to get on here to post to just get some points or just to put others down as in the last posting. .... Some inforamtion has been passed on this site deliberately that is not correct or intended to be. .......

YOU got that right!
Old 03-22-2006, 12:17 PM   #63
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
And yes, there are some who did tell me wrong information to see how far it would get. Sometimes it is a good joke by others to see how far misinforation will get before you learn better. .
This is the internet. It is for all to see. While I agree that we learn from sharing with each other, I believe, that there may be far too much information about certain aspects of the native culture here. Any information would be open to any person who might take it, change it, teach it. Basic information is good.
If you want to know more, go to someone who is knowledgeable. Learn it first hand. Keep it in confidence. Share it with someone at a later point with whom you can trust not to abuse it. That way, the teaching, the tradition will not be compromised.

This is NOT an all " original peoples" website.
Kiwehnzii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2006, 01:05 PM   #64
Beadworker

sokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,106.54
tipi's....

"My teachers in Oklahoma, which is not a tribe for the boob who likes to make jokes to see himself in print, were and are good people"
im not the boob who put a state in a place for listing tribe now am i? i asked a simple legit question because i was curious if this was another one of the new rash of tribes apperaing in ndn world....and i sadly hate to diappoint you tipi's ,i dont post to see my name or get points lol i could care less about them...but judging from your reaction,which btw is a typical wannabee reaction,im guessing you are jst that...a wannabee from the great wannabee nation...and yup im sure you have been given mis-information...there are some who dont like hobbiests getting real info that they can further corrupt and use for their own insecutities about their nationalities...and if youre teachers were from oklahoma why then is your tag in lakota?i wasnt aware lakota was a language down in OK these days... id rather be a boob than a wannabee anyday

TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)
sokoki_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2006, 04:05 PM   #65
Beadworker

sokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiowakat
IT IS NOT SAD!!!!! .............we have not lost anything its called a changing culture and as far as you tipi your a white female from florida and shouldn't be name dropping like that....you can express your opinions but keep names out of it please.... it's not your place to teach anybody and you should know better you can't teach Kiowa's their culture, if your white........ so I won't stand by and you not reveal yourself cause it sounds and looks like you are native and your not .........but thanks for tellin us about the old days!!

http://profiles.yahoo.com/tipisholley
them are mighty interesting feathers she has in that pic arent they?

TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)
Old 03-22-2006, 07:16 PM   #66
Beadworker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe
YOU got that right!
LOL if you told them to hop on one foot and flap like a bird they would....

TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)
Old 03-23-2006, 01:04 AM   #67
Pow Wow Visitor

gator is an unknown quantity at this point
Making sense out of this mess

First of all let me say that I am no expert on this drum feathering idea. Nor am I an expert on any Native American tradition. The view I am expressing is my own and I do not wish to show any disrespect for anyone here.

I am considered by some of my peers as an expert on the written english language. My own writting skills dictate otherwise. I am an english teacher that teaches written language arts. I also have a second major in mental health. I am not a doctor in any way or form.

I have read all of the posts in the threads in question, and have come up with a reasonable theroy of what may have happened.

Let me say first that, Windinhair1 and Powwowbum00 are two different people because of their writing skills and styles. Windinhair1 has a better command of the written language then her counterpart. The writing of both people have their own styles and are consistant throughout their posts. However their use of language structure shows that they have been taught in the same style. For example brother and sister having the same teachers in school. They appear to be close to the same age as well. Powwowbum00's style of writing is consistant with a male style while Windinhair1 has a female style of writing. Both appear to have a reasonable education.

If you have ever cheated in english class and got caught but didn't know how, Know you know. You were caught from the style of your writing compaired to your classmates.

Now for the story:
It is possible that as chrildren, the two in question we told a story. The story of a drum being distroyed by a person because of a dispute among tribes. This could have caused a tribal war. The person who distroyed the drum, more then likely lost his life within seconds. More then likely the story is untrue but was used as a teaching tool.

This Windinhair1 may have seen a drug bust go down at a powwow somewhere but does not remember where. She may have also seen a drum being cut opened by a law enforcment officer to retrive evidence. I'm sure if this is the case, the officer was not a Tribal Officer. It is more likely that the officer in question was a state or federal person who was a bit over the edge. Reason dictates that if someone was to hide drugs in a drum, there would be a way to retrieve the drugs without distroying the drum. This way the drum could be used for another drug transport. A Tribal officer would have taken the drum to the local hospital to have an xray done to view the inside content of the drum. The drum would have then been opened in a carefull and respectfull way to retrieve the evidence within. A medicine man or elder may have been present but would never distroy the skin on a drum. I am sure of that.

The original story, drug bust, and distruction of the drum may be totally unrelated but mixed together in the long trem memory of Windinhair1.

If this is the case then Windinhair1 may truely believe that this is how a drum is to be scilenced forever. Between a story as a child, to seeing the story in practice as an adult. It is a fair assumption.

Powwowbum00 appears to be a protective family member of Windinhair1. The explanation of the heart attacks and strokes may be valid and used in a way to protect his sibling. Both appear to be close and protective over each other.

The explanation of the strokes and heart attacks are consistant with the story Windinhair1 is stating. A stroke can cause a person to loose pieces of his or her long term memory. Heart attacks can also cause a loss in short term memory.

For example my father had a series of strokes in his mid 40s. He knew that he had three children but could not remember their names or ages. He also did not remember what he did for a living to support us. Only through intensive reabilitation was he able to relearn parts of his past. A lot of his memories were just bits and pieces mixed together to form a very confusing matrix. My father did relearn a lot of of the lost skills and led a fairly productive life untill age 76.

I can equate to Windinhair1 loss of memory as to the location and date of this alledged powwow. The state of New Mexico may have been used to show some sort of reference because of her own frustration due to the pressure of trying to remember a lost piece of the confusing matrix she was left with. I also appears Powwowbum00 is trying to cover for her loss in memory.

I also believe that the two in question may be the last of their family. They may also be frightened of loosing one another. There coud be a very valid fear of being left alone if one passes on. The theroy of the loss can be related to a long term marrage where one becomes lost in life due to the loss of his or her lifemate.

At this point I cannot believe or disbelieve the writings of both parties in question. It also appears both may also need some sort of help by an expert in the field of mental health to correct possible problems and help resolve issues.

What I have stated is my own oponion on the subject as it appears on these threads. Some may accept this theroy, other may reject it. I'm sure at least one will consider this physo-crap.

Last edited by gator; 03-23-2006 at 01:12 AM..
gator is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2006, 01:38 AM   #68
ON THE PROWL...

KoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator
I also have a second major in mental health. I am not a doctor in any way or form.

I have read all of the posts in the threads in question, and have come up with a reasonable theroy of what may have happened.

Let me say first that, Windinhair1 and Powwowbum00 are two different people because of their writing skills and styles. Windinhair1 has a better command of the written language then her counterpart. The writing of both people have their own styles and are consistant throughout their posts. However their use of language structure shows that they have been taught in the same style. For example brother and sister having the same teachers in school. They appear to be close to the same age as well. Powwowbum00's style of writing is consistant with a male style while Windinhair1 has a female style of writing. Both appear to have a reasonable education.

Powwowbum00 appears to be a protective family member of Windinhair1. The explanation of the heart attacks and strokes may be valid and used in a way to protect his sibling. Both appear to be close and protective over each other.

I also believe that the two in question may be the last of their family. They may also be frightened of loosing one another. There coud be a very valid fear of being left alone if one passes on. The theroy of the loss can be related to a long term marrage where one becomes lost in life due to the loss of his or her lifemate.

At this point I cannot believe or disbelieve the writings of both parties in question. It also appears both may also need some sort of help by an expert in the field of mental health to correct possible problems and help resolve issues.

What I have stated is my own oponion on the subject as it appears on these threads. Some may accept this theroy, other may reject it. I'm sure at least one will consider this physo-crap.

When you mentioned psycho-crap, multipersonality came to mind. Just throwing that out there.
KoolNDN is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2006, 01:40 AM   #69
Beadworker

good words Gator....

TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)
Old 03-23-2006, 02:10 AM   #70
Pow Wow Visitor

gator is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolNDN
When you mentioned psycho-crap, multipersonality came to mind. Just throwing that out there.
The writing style of both parties have too many factors to be the same person. In the case of a multi, the styles would cross over. At first, I thought the same, a multi. One person two views. It took a lot of study to see the differences because both parties appear to be educated in the same way.

As a teacher, I have been educated to look for learning problems in my students. The way my view was written was in the same way I would write up an IEP for a student. An IEP is the education plan outlined for a slow or gifted student. The goverment puts the slow and the gifted in one plan known as "special education". They have locked gifted and slow children together for the purpose of not showing any discrimanation. It's an equal education thing. Don't believe it!

It took me 20 years of teaching the school year, and a lot of continued education in summer for me to get where I am at today. It seems like the only time I wasn't in a school somewhere was in the AirForce. Yes, I did a lot of school there too!

Last edited by gator; 03-23-2006 at 02:13 AM..
gator is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2006, 03:35 AM   #71
Lovin' life,

Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 260.00
Savings: 1.00
and guess who has the same ip as the other two.....

Old 03-23-2006, 04:02 AM   #72
ON THE PROWL...

KoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond repute
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mato Winyan
Back to multi innet!
KoolNDN is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2006, 08:30 AM   #73
Banned

kiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiowakat
IT IS NOT SAD!!!!! .............we have not lost anything its called a changing culture and as far as you tipi your a white female from florida and shouldn't be name dropping like that....you can express your opinions but keep names out of it please.... it's not your place to teach anybody and you should know better you can't teach Kiowa's their culture, if your white........ so I won't stand by and you not reveal yourself cause it sounds and looks like you are native and your not .........but thanks for tellin us about the old days!!

http://profiles.yahoo.com/tipisholley
this is one example of many..... we give hobbist information then they turn around and make a book or go on the internet and spout out that they know these things , I've been reading other post and the cradle thread, I believe the information she got WAS from another Kiowa woman. so people ask us why don't we share our culture....here is one BIG reason of many...another example my family taught one of these hobbist hide tanning now he goes out and spouts that he is the BIG hide tanner for this area and people believe him NOW THATS SAD!!!!!........To the Hobbist if we wanted the information in a book don't you think WE would write it......
kiowakat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2006, 11:20 AM   #74
Lovin' life,

Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 260.00
Quote:
Last edited by gator : Today at 01:13 AM.

Old 03-23-2006, 11:53 PM   #75
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 127,514.31
Quote:
First of all let me say that I am no expert on this drum feathering idea. Nor am I an expert on any Native American tradition. The view I am expressing is my own and I do not wish to show any disrespect for anyone here.

I am considered by some of my peers as an expert on the written english language. My own writting skills dictate otherwise. I am an english teacher that teaches written language arts. I also have a second major in mental health. I am not a doctor in any way or form.

Let me say first that, Windinhair1 and Powwowbum00 are two different people because of their writing skills and styles. Windinhair1 has a better command of the written language then her counterpart. The writing of both people have their own styles and are consistant throughout their posts. However their use of language structure shows that they have been taught in the same style. For example brother and sister having the same teachers in school. They appear to be close to the same age as well. Powwowbum00's style of writing is consistant with a male style, while Windinhair1 has a female style of writing. Both appear to have a reasonable education.

If you have ever cheated in english class and got caught but didn't know how, Know you know. You were caught from the style of your writing compaired to your classmates.

Now for the story:
It is possible that as chrildren, the two in question we told a story. The story of a drum being distroyed by a person because of a dispute among tribes. This could have caused a tribal war. The person who distroyed the drum, more then likely lost his life within seconds. More then likely the story is untrue but was used as a teaching tool.

This Windinhair1 may have seen a drug bust go down at a powwow somewhere but does not remember where. She may have also seen a drum being cut opened by a law enforcment officer to retrive evidence. I'm sure if this is the case, the officer was not a Tribal Officer. It is more likely that the officer in question was a state or federal person who was a bit over the edge. Reason dictates that if someone was to hide drugs in a drum, there would be a way to retrieve the drugs without distroying the drum. This way the drum could be used for another drug transport. A Tribal officer would have taken the drum to the local hospital to have an x-ray done to view the inside content of the drum. The drum would have then been opened in a carefull and respectfull way to retrieve the evidence within. A medicine man or elder may have been present but would never distroy the skin on a drum. I am sure of that.

The original story, drug bust, and distruction of the drum may be totally unrelated but mixed together in the long trem memory of Windinhair1.

If this is the case, then Windinhair1 may truely believe that this is how a drum is to be scilenced forever. Between a story as a child, to seeing the story in practice as an adult. It is a fair assumption.

The explanation of the strokes and heart attacks are consistant with the story Windinhair1 is stating. A stroke can cause a person to loose pieces of his or her long term memory. Heart attacks can also cause a loss in short term memory.

For example my father had a series of strokes in his mid 40s. He knew that he had three children but could not remember their names or ages. He also did not remember what he did for a living to support us. Only through intensive reabilitation was he able to relearn parts of his past. A lot of his memories were just bits and pieces mixed together to form a very confusing matrix. My father did relearn a lot of of the lost skills and led a fairly productive life untill age 76.

I can equate to Windinhair1 loss of memory as to the location and date of this alledged powwow. The state of New Mexico may have been used to show some sort of reference because of her own frustration due to the pressure of trying to remember a lost piece of the confusing matrix she was left with. I also appears Powwowbum00 is trying to cover for her loss in memory.

Dang, for an English teacher you sure do have many spelling errors!

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2006, 05:15 AM   #76
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,582.70
Quote:

Now for the story:

This Windinhair1 may have seen a drug bust go down at a powwow somewhere but does not remember where. She may have also seen a drum being cut opened by a law enforcment officer to retrive evidence. I'm sure if this is the case, the officer was not a Tribal Officer. It is more likely that the officer in question was a state or federal person who was a bit over the edge. Reason dictates that if someone was to hide drugs in a drum, there would be a way to retrieve the drugs without distroying the drum. This way the drum could be used for another drug transport. A Tribal officer would have taken the drum to the local hospital to have an xray done to view the inside content of the drum. The drum would have then been opened in a carefull and respectfull way to retrieve the evidence within. A medicine man or elder may have been present but would never distroy the skin on a drum. I am sure of that.

If this is the case then Windinhair1 may truely believe that this is how a drum is to be scilenced forever. Between a story as a child, to seeing the story in practice as an adult. It is a fair assumption.

How many times has Indian culture been analyzed by so called experts?

*L

With so many assumptions there are inevitably also a lot of "what ifs?"

"What if? What if?....... What if my grandma had a beard? ... Then she'd be my grandpa!''

Old 03-24-2006, 01:56 PM   #77
Gotz ta be me!

Singing Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond repute
Singing Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe
"What if? What if?....... What if my grandma had a beard? ... Then she'd be my grandpa!''

u ain't right haha
Old 03-25-2006, 05:29 PM   #78
Teen Dancer

tipis is a jewel in the rough
Angry Put downs and missinformation

To Kiowacat and others who have to elevate themselves by putting down others on this site. There are whites, blacks, Indians and other Nations on Powwows.com. This site was started so as to share information, opinions and ideas. Unfortunately you have a reversed bigotry on here by a few who have to demean others because they either to not have that same information or feel that others should not share or have information or they are not Indian enough. We also have a moderator who does not know what a moderator should do. Moderators do not put others down for their knowledge, opinions or race. They keep an EVEN road to help others who stray from that path. Unfortunately Kiowacat is too immature to know this. I resigned from being a moderator on this site in order to say a few things which I cannot as a moderator. I also informed Paul as to my reasons and the slamming done by this area of talk.

If I wanted to get down and personal…I could say and do a few words to people on here. I do regret calling someone a “Boob”. But when you are personally attacked for what you perceive as my color or background, you do your self no justice or understanding of whom I might really be or anyone else here.

When I qualified the information that was taught to me by naming some people, I was taught that was done to let you know where it came from or source. I hear this all the time when I am out West or in Oklahoma. If I do not do it, then the information is said to be made up or hearsay. So! I am damned if I do and damned if I don’t. The information I give on this site is not from books, as they are opinions only being repeated here, but from those I learned from personally.

It was said I got my material on cradles from a person in Oklahoma, well, that is not true. The person that Kiowacat refers to is Vannesa Jennings who has kindly, through many years, taught those who want to learn the old ways of Cradles, dresses and other Kiowa material whether they be Indian or not. I hope to learn from her this spring on doing cradles. What I said on Cheyenne and Sioux cradles is based on my experience of making several of them and knowing other makers. It is too bad someone cannot get her facts straight before making false accusations and had to dig thruough all my posts to the the "dirt". She was also invited to learn if she wants too.

When Kiowacat joined my LodgeOwners group, she was welcomed in and allowed to state anything she wanted. But it looks like now she only joined to solicit votes to win the crafts contest held on this site. I have lost all respect I had for her as a person and craftsman.

I have been around a long time and had many teachers because of my curiosity of life and the way things work. I went to many people to learn what I could and in different parts of the country. The Sioux name for “Good Lodge Woman” or Tipi Wastewin was given to me by my Sioux friends. Whether I am white, red or blue should not matter or be stated when judging what I or any other person on this site says. You might be surprised waht you could learn. There are several others here that also fall into this area. But, I will not defend that area. When other people on this site have to dig down to personal attacks to make themselves more important and the Moderator of this part of the site does not step in and stop the attacks, then nothing I say or anyone says here is of matter. It has just become a put down free for all.

I am sorry that I have taken up space for this, but I need to get something out there. If you attack others, be prepared to defend yourself sometime in the future when others go after you. It will happen again and again and to you.
tipis is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2006, 05:55 PM   #79
Beadworker

youre missing the point why we're reluctant to share...when we have shared knowledge,people have taken that information and run with it,writing books,exploiting and twisting it...happens all the time...and they become the "authority" on a culture that isnt even theirs...what thomas mails did is a classic example of this...we have a term for it among my friends, "culture vultures"...i wonder how you would feel if the situation was reversed? if you or the thousands of others who use your same arguements trying to justify the theft of our culture and ways actually paid attention to what was being said and had the remotest clue about ndn world,then you would know the meaning of RESPECT...and the way our shared knowledge has been exploited ,its clear the respect lessons have been missed and failed...
you trash KiowaKat for her opinion...and its one shared by many REAL INDIANS....and you let her in your group to give yourself legitimacy....always good to have a real token around when one is playing ndn...do you honestly think your respect matters to KK or to any of us?its pretty presumptious to think you could teach the people that are REAL something about our own ways innit? seen that attitude for years ...well maybe if you sat back and listened you'd learn something real....normally when some one puts out an ndn name and says it was given to them by so n so or this tribe,id ask who gave it....standard operating proceedure when youre dealing with wanna's...but im not going to bother in your case...heard the standard line too many times...i feel sorry for you and the rest of the culture vultures....youre a lost group who cant deal with who and what they are in life....
i used to teach and share,ive been beading for 33 years ,but i went thru what we all go thru with having that knowledge disrespected and used in the wrong way...now i wont share with anyone but legit ndn's...our Elders have said not to share anymore cuz y'all have messed it up too much...i listen to the Elders...
i think what your most upset about and feel the need to lash out at the moderators and the rest, is we didnt buy your bs,and it rattles you to be challenged,it deflates your ego...it really is funny tho to have someone come tell us what is and isnt OUR culture doesnt really matter tho cuz we ARE REAL INDIANS and thats something no matter how hard you try and wish and dream,you will ever be...

TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)

Last edited by sokoki_wolf; 03-25-2006 at 05:58 PM..
Old 03-25-2006, 08:08 PM   #80
CROW BEAR

danbear is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 150.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoki_wolf
youre missing the point why we're reluctant to share...when we have shared knowledge,people have taken that information and run with it,writing books,exploiting and twisting it...happens all the time...and they become the "authority" on a culture that isnt even theirs...what thomas mails did is a classic example of this...we have a term for it among my friends, "culture vultures"...i wonder how you would feel if the situation was reversed? if you or the thousands of others who use your same arguements trying to justify the theft of our culture and ways actually paid attention to what was being said and had the remotest clue about ndn world,then you would know the meaning of RESPECT...and the way our shared knowledge has been exploited ,its clear the respect lessons have been missed and failed...
you trash KiowaKat for her opinion...and its one shared by many REAL INDIANS....and you let her in your group to give yourself legitimacy....always good to have a real token around when one is playing ndn...do you honestly think your respect matters to KK or to any of us?its pretty presumptious to think you could teach the people that are REAL something about our own ways innit? seen that attitude for years ...well maybe if you sat back and listened you'd learn something real....normally when some one puts out an ndn name and says it was given to them by so n so or this tribe,id ask who gave it....standard operating proceedure when youre dealing with wanna's...but im not going to bother in your case...heard the standard line too many times...i feel sorry for you and the rest of the culture vultures....youre a lost group who cant deal with who and what they are in life....
i used to teach and share,ive been beading for 33 years ,but i went thru what we all go thru with having that knowledge disrespected and used in the wrong way...now i wont share with anyone but legit ndn's...our Elders have said not to share anymore cuz y'all have messed it up too much...i listen to the Elders...
i think what your most upset about and feel the need to lash out at the moderators and the rest, is we didnt buy your bs,and it rattles you to be challenged,it deflates your ego...it really is funny tho to have someone come tell us what is and isnt OUR culture doesnt really matter tho cuz we ARE REAL INDIANS and thats something no matter how hard you try and wish and dream,you will ever be...
well said
danbear is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links