Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: should Southern eagle have been a host drum?
yes 1 3.13%
no 31 96.88%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Southern Singing hollywood pow wow hollywood pow wow

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2002, 06:06 PM   #41
Beth

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Beth has a reputation beyond repute
Beth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
gourd

If they are not used to singing gourd, there are some Kiowa's down here that might go and help out. They have done this before at other dances. I don't know what drums are going but they usually have a good turn out. I know one year Otter Trail was there.
Beth is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2002, 06:27 PM   #42
Junior Dancer

dawning is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 930.00
Thumbs up SOUTHERN EAGLE , well maybe?

here is my take about sothern eagle, i've heard that they are pretty good. a good group of young guys. but here is the catch from what my hool ups told me out there they aren't experienced enough for it. as a matter of fact they group lost half of their guy douring their ?pembroke? pow wow, ithink that's what it is called. the others went off to sing on their own drum. i heard it was because of the lead singer of the drum wanting to be big and win em all. but hey it's all hear say. i am just relaying what i've heard about them. i also heard that they know non of the special songs. i'ts good to be known but how you get there is what counts. meaning i would rather be a small drum with only a amount of people knowing us for our singing til we make it big than to be know as a drum not being able to perform their honored needs.
they'll be in trouble if southwest peoples are there if they can't sing the trot dancing song or gourd dancing songs. oklahoma and them natives don't fool when it comes to that stuff.

just my take on hollywood. i wish every one luck who goes and i will meet everyone there. :16:
Old 02-05-2002, 06:39 PM   #43
Tiny Tot Dancer

echohawk neconie is an unknown quantity at this point
This group is trying to do good things, They do know the basic music for the gourd dance. So they should do fine when it comes time to perform. I know that when they were offered the job, that half of those guys that left wanted to come back and sing. There is always going to be some one who argues about the money situation. But it is true though they could go and as for the help from the other groups that may know these songs. Well I wish them the best of luck at Hollywood.
echohawk neconie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2002, 07:36 PM   #44
=============

Kool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 580.34
It's one thing to not know specialty songs like trot dance songs or horse stealing songs, but to not know gourd dance songs when you are expected to sing them at a powwow is completely different. How many times will a trot dance or horse stealing song be requested during a weekend? Maybe once or twice a day? But for gourd dances, you're continuously singing set after set of songs and if you don't have the singers there who know them, you're screwed. And for gourd dance, you either need a lot of guys who know the songs so that you can pass the lead from song to song, or one guy with an excellent (and I mean excellent) memory, not to mention a voice with stamina, who can pull out the lead for the correct song as soon as one is finished. I don't think Southern Eagle has either of these. Maybe they'll do okay though.

Kool B
Kool Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2002, 09:04 PM   #45
Tiny Tot Dancer

SouthernSinger is an unknown quantity at this point
WOW

This really puts a whole new perspective on this issue. Is there a gourd dance? And if so, are they definitely expected to take care of that? If not I know a couple of other groups will be there from OK that can hand le that, so I'm sure things will work out. Kool Breeze is absolutely correct. You have to know a good deal about gourd dance songs in order to provide for a good dance. These songs have an order in which they are suung, and to sing these out of place will throw of the entire dance and make for an embarassing situation. I'm sure these guys will have their bases covered one way or another, but I can honestly say I have never heard this group sing any gourd dance song...

Singer
SouthernSinger is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2002, 09:14 PM   #46
Tiny Tot Dancer

X49ER is on a distinguished road
Credits: 613.00
Talking

Don't

Last edited by X49ER; 03-18-2009 at 03:07 PM..
X49ER is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2002, 12:42 AM   #47
Tiny Tot Dancer

Does anyone know who the other Southern Drums or invited drums will be down there this weekend? Just curious...

Singer
Old 02-08-2002, 08:54 PM   #48
Arena Director

Smokin' Ace has a reputation beyond repute
Smokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 110.00
Well - word has it that Southern Eagle made it to Hollywood safe and sound - am anxious to hear how the pow-wow is going - the weather is beautiful here in NC - hope it is the same in Hollywood - and hope everyone has a great weekend - we are headed to Science and Math pow-wow tomorrow - can't wait - have a great weekend everyone!!!!
Smokin' Ace is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2002, 05:09 PM   #49
Arena Director

Smokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond repute
So how was it???? :)
Old 02-10-2002, 07:42 PM   #50
Tiny Tot Dancer

Yes, I'm quite interested as well. Looking forward to some folks getting hoome so we can hear about it. Talked to a friend down there via telephone on Saturday, and in the interest of diplomacy, let's just say that things might not have been going as well as expected, but who knnows?....I'm defintely interested to hear. Hope all was well! Also interested to hear how the rest of the singing was too!

Singer
Old 02-11-2002, 05:48 PM   #51
Tiny Tot Dancer

Question hollywood pow wow

Last edited by X49ER; 02-09-2010 at 01:46 PM..
Old 02-12-2002, 08:53 AM   #52
Tiny Tot Dancer

Tigerlily is on a distinguished road
What about the dancers? Who was there and who placed?
Tigerlily is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2002, 09:26 AM   #53
Tiny Tot Dancer

Hate to hear that these guys didn't do that well. to show what can happen when egos get in the way of good judgment. I hear there was no Gourd Dance, which may well have been their saving grace! It's easy to be "the bomb" in an area where there is rather little knowledge for the most part, but it's a different stry when you're travelling to an area or to a powwow where you are surrounded by experienced, knowledgeable people. I'm sure it was rather embarassing, but the whole experience was totallly useless unless it was humbling!

Singer
Old 02-12-2002, 11:39 AM   #54
Tiny Tot Dancer

Tigerlily is on a distinguished road
where is southern eagle from? were they at Hagerstown?
Tigerlily is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2002, 11:57 AM   #55
Tiny Tot Dancer

dad is on a distinguished road
Credits: 300.00
host southern drum

the host southern drum this year at hollywood powwow was boring, they can't even sing southern good. the powwow should have got a real southern drum. southern eagle drum sing boring song and they do not even have any of there own songs. wait i'm wrong, the song that they sang for mens fancy was there, the song was bit and peices of others southern songs, they tryed to make it trickey, but they just made there self sound stuped. the mens fancy did not want to dance to southern eagle no more. the people from oklahoma wanted young bird or otter trail to sing for them because they can sing southern songs right and they don't sing screwed up songs. for the rest of the drums it was great. mystis was great. boy they can jam. you can't go wrong with them. young bird was great. so was rest of the drums, just except southern eagle..sorry guys, but if you are going to sing southern you should learn to sing it right and have some feelings when you sing, and if you make song you should not use parts of other drums songs and call them your own, and you did make the mens fancy mad at you. i don't no even know what to call that song that you gave them. over all, was good but the powwow should have got a real southern drum...
dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2002, 12:32 PM   #56
Minglin' N Jinglin'

MayChe has a reputation beyond repute
MayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 900.00
Savings: 1.00
Hollywood Powwow

well, i have to say my experience was a bad one there. we got there saturday morning and went to go register at the dancer's entrance, so we could get in also. the sign where they sign up tp register said registration 9 to 12, but there was no one there. they decided to close early!:Angry security made us walk around to the main entrance. we told them that we were dancers and that they closed the registration booth early and they said there was nothing they could do about it if we didnt have a wristband and that we would have to buy a ticket to get in which was $10 a day. we were pissed by this time so we went back to the dancer's entrance and thank god there was someone on the committee there this time, we talked to that person for like 15 minutes and he finally let us in. we find out that we aren't the only ones who had to go through this. well, it was grand entry time by then, so we got back out and get dressed, come back, and as we start to line up, i look around and i've seen some of these people before in my videos from the gathering of nations and schemitzun. i happen to overhear someone saying that they pay these people to come down to hollywood and then they give them first place.:Eyebrows kinda unfair dontcha think?
Old 02-12-2002, 03:45 PM   #57
=============

Kool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond repute
It's a shame that Southern Eagle performed so badly over the past weekend (going on what I've heard from people that are posting). This not only hurts the image of their drum but what about the bigger picture of all the southern drums from the NC area. What kind of stereotype will Southern Eagle's performance create about other drums in NC? This will undoubtedly hurt the chances of any of these drums being invited to big powwows around the country. Drumgroups really should think about all consequences and repercussions before placing themselves in situations that they are unsure of. It seems now that NC southern drums have a hole to dig themselves out of. Thanks Southern Eagle.
Old 02-12-2002, 03:56 PM   #58
Arena Director

I think it is sad that so much is being said about this young group - but I have to say that it wasn't the best thing to do to accept such a large job, being so young. Live and learn. But, Kool Breeze, knowing many of the drum groups out of this region, I think each one should be judged on their own merit. I can not completely blame Bostic and his crew for taking this job - you have to also issue blame to the pow-wow committee, if there is fault to be given.

Singers all know that there many lessons to be learned when booking and scheduling jobs. We have all booked jobs that later on we wonder what the hell we were thinking - something just didn't go right.

I wonder how the head staff recieved this group. Anyone know?

And I want you all to know that I just saddened by this - I was surprised when I heard that Southern Eagle had accepted such a large job, because the group has been going thru changes - but I wished them the best - how are any groups going to get better until they have faced things such as this? I am sure if you asked Bostic and his crew, they learned a lot of lessons this weekend. I think alot of us did too. :)
Old 02-12-2002, 04:50 PM   #59
Tiny Tot Dancer

Lightbulb

I .

Last edited by X49ER; 03-18-2009 at 03:08 PM..
Old 02-12-2002, 04:54 PM   #60
=============

Smokin Ace, you are right. Each drum should be judged on their own merit. But folks can't judge a drum if they haven't heard the singers sing, i.e. other southern drums in the NC area. Southern Eagle got the job before they proved their worth. If they would have made a good showing then that would possibly have opened doors for other drums in the NC area. By not making a good showing they very possibly closed some doors for other NC drums. Because many people have not heard and will not hear (and therefore can not judge) NC drums until these drums attend a big powwow, these people may very likely stereotype the NC drums according to what they heard from Southern Eagle. If that is the case, many powwow committees will be reluctant to invite NC drums to their dance. I'm not completely blaming Southern Eagle. I'm just saying that they weren't just there representing Southern Eagle, they were there representing every NC drum.

(None of this is meant to sound harsh Smokin Ace)

Kool B
Sponsored Links