Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: should Southern eagle have been a host drum?
yes 1 3.13%
no 31 96.88%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Southern Singing hollywood pow wow hollywood pow wow

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2002, 06:11 PM   #61
Beth

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Beth has a reputation beyond repute
Beth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
drum

Perhaps some of the NC drums could get known if they volunteered to set up at larger dances in other states. I know Orlando has many drums set up. They have drums like Rose Hill, Otter Trail, etc. set up but they also have drums just set up. Had one from Brooklyn one year.
Beth is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2002, 06:39 PM   #62
Tiny Tot Dancer

nighthawk is an unknown quantity at this point
Location: North Carolina Robeson County, for all its downfalls it is still the only place Ill ever call home
All nice and stuff to say that drums from North Carolina should volunteer to go set up but in reality thats quite a large monetary investment that most can't make. Thats why most North Carolina drums are still in North Carolina, not to say they couldn't go and sing with the best of them but money is hard to come by sometimes. But hopefully soon some of the other drums in Carolina will have the chance to stretch thier legs out and travel and help polish up our tarnished reputation.
Old 02-12-2002, 06:42 PM   #63
=============

Kool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 580.34
That's easier said than done Beth. If a drum volunteers to set up, then they're probably not getting paid. If they're lucky, they'll get a blanket dance. Most of these NC drums are young and don't have the money to spend on a weekend trip to another state. If these drums were guaranteed to at least break even then that may inspire a few to consider your suggestion.
Kool Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2002, 06:56 PM   #64
Arena Director

Smokin' Ace has a reputation beyond repute
Smokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 110.00
Hey - I am hearing you loud and clear, Kool Breeze and everyone else who is posting. I wasn't there to judge Southern Eagle for myself - but it sounds like there was def room for improvement. :)

There are many drums from NC - not all of them travel outside of NC - a few (Stoney Creek, Kau-ta-noh, Jrs., Red Wolf. Awoholi - all Northern and Contemporary) not only travel outside of Nc, but have been asked to host at many "larger" pow-wows. Stoney Creek and Kau-ta-noh, Jrs. are the only ones (that I am aware of) that have travelled to Gathering of Nations and Schmitzun - I am not sure of other NC groups (Southern) that have done this.

Point being - we all know it takes time to build a name for yourself - years - we also all know and are learning more and more everyday that one groups actions may affect people of that region. But I don't think it would be fair to anyone to really do this - if this does happen, I think that Native America will surely lose out on quite a bit of talented singers from the Tarheel State.

By the way, hopefully, by the end of March - you can all hear some of the best of what NC has to offer, via the Kau-ta-noh, Jrs. first of five CD's from Sunshine Records - check out Sunshine's website for more info = we are currently rebuilding our website - should be up and running soon, too. :)

Stoney Creek just came out with recording number 5 or 6.

Red Wolf has produced 2-3 recordings.

Southern Suns has one recording.

Awoholi has one recording (I think only one).

The point being, please don't discount the talent coming from this state. All of these groups represent very well - Southern Eagle should not be a judge for all NC drums.

I for one am sorry of the bad experience. The last time I heard Southern Eagle - they were very dancable and good - but I understand, as I mentioned earlier, that they have been going thru some changes. Maybe the "right" thing to do would have been to cancel the host gig in Hollywood and give it to someone more knowledgable? Probably. But this group is very young - let's hope that over time, they learn from this experience.

BTW - other Southern groups from the Carolinas:

Southern Suns
Edisto River Singers (SC)
Secret Hill Singers
Red Road (new group, but old talent ;))

Take care all. And thanks Beth too for those suggestions.
Smokin' Ace is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2002, 07:10 PM   #65
Arena Director

Smokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond repute
Hey ya'll = why don't you all tune it tonight to my show - and listen to the best in Native American music - Native Voices - from 7-10 PM - www.wfss.org - 91.9 FM in Fayetteville, NC and surrounding counties.

Trust me - don't discount any drum group until you have judged them for yourself. ;)
Old 02-12-2002, 11:09 PM   #66
Banned

InjunJoe is an unknown quantity at this point
No one wanted to listen

I was there in NC when those boys on Southern Eagle started singing at powwows. Everybody around there was going "oooohh" and "aaahhhh" and "Southern Eagle is da bomb!" and all that stuff. I said they better go back to the garage for about five years before they started singing at powwows or trying to be a host drum. But the locals thought these boys was the hottest thing since central heating.

Somebody has called it "backyard fame." Guess that's what it is. Quite a few drums seem to let that go to their heads. I know of several kid drums here that can hold their own easily with the so-called or self-thought-of "big dogs" that I heard back there.

Almost anybody can go set up at Schmitzen or Gathering if they got the time and raise the money. Ain't no big deal.
InjunJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2002, 11:23 PM   #67
Junior Dancer

dawning is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 930.00
hmmmmmmmmmmmm.......

All i have to say is i knew they weren't going to be any good. with all the stuffi hear about them and their break up. maybe they just needed time to figure things out before they took on a job this big.i hope they now relize what needs to be done now. it is not all about the money it's how you make the product for that money. meaning their songs, practice, and experience. once again just my opinion.:Chatter
Old 02-13-2002, 12:01 AM   #68
Tiny Tot Dancer

echohawk neconie is an unknown quantity at this point
You know all of us have been down that road of sounding rough.
You talk about this group like that but what you people al don't seem to relize is that, there are other groups out there like this that sound bad and have a hard time. All groups start from some where. like (Otter trail )( Cedar Tree )( all of these otherrr groups.So I don't see why any of the people at the powwow didn't offer any help to the group. Or try to teach them something in a polite way. But true though they shouldn't have accepted the job, And the committie should have made sure they New what they were getting from this group so blame them as well.
echohawk neconie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2002, 12:32 AM   #69
Tiny Tot Dancer

X49ER is on a distinguished road
Credits: 613.00
Red face

Lol!!!

Last edited by X49ER; 02-09-2010 at 02:47 PM..
X49ER is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2002, 12:58 AM   #70
loves southern singn'

For anyone who reads below, do not read with hostility! This is simply a different perspective.

I've sat back and have said nothing for some time now. Now, I don't mean to make it sound like I'm hear to preach the Gospel or anything because I am not. I was wrong in for sitting back because I myself am a young singer (who knows what it is like to sound rough while constantly looking for a helping hand and hope I do not put myslef in the situation to be ripped to shreds like this). I say young because of the number of years I have been singing, not so much my age. And even with my age as well, it has been a hinderance when it has come to thinking clearly and maturely about different things; especially when it comes to drumming and singing. The point I am trying to make is that people must learn to crawl before they walk and walk before they run.

We as individuals often look to point the finger at the next individual. Hey! Why not? Its the easiest thing to do. Like Echohawk Neconie asked, "Was there no one there to help them? Was there no one there to teach them?" We as individuals are no way, shape or form perfect creatures no matter how hard we try to be. So, we should not even attempt to ride that "high horse". These questions I restated (summarized from E.N.) are asked here again because to address these questions with a yes would be helping a young one to crawl before they could walk or walk before they could run.

Now, I have no idea why the group took the job. Nor do I have any idea why the committee saught out the groups services. Two wrongs do not make a right. And that is exactly what the situation is; "Two wrongs!" Now, I'm sure both parties are sitting at home a little heated, angry, or whatever the emotion may be but the true lesson the Creator had planned for those folks involved this past year at Hollywood, Fl will not be learned until people sit down and reflect upon what it was they themselves did. (Not what someone else did because we can not change people other than ourselves. We may only influence them.) Only then will all the appropriate parties learn for any and all future references.

Now granted, I don't know how or why the committee got ahold of them and selected them. I do not know why Southern Eagle chose the job. Nor do I know if and what the stipulations were for them to serve as Southern Host. I hope both parties are thinking about this. The future reference is to never select a NC Drum Group to sing at a Pow Wow. The point is to be defined in your own agenda, goals and expectations. And don't be afraid to communicate!

Now, my intent was not to bad mouth Southern Eagle, the Pow Wow Committee or any of the people who have posted prior to this post. There are a lot of things about this situation I do not agree with or would not have in the manner that such took place. Remember, sometimes the grass is always greener on the other path; Especially when hine-sight is 20-20.

What I have said does not necessarily apply to this situation only. There will be additional situations to come up in the future where the message in this post will apply as well.

LSS
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2002, 01:05 AM   #71
Tiny Tot Dancer

BrownHornet is on a distinguished road
Credits: 160.00
Well,

Their singing was pretty bad. The bad thing about this is that I dont even think they know it. I had a friend who offered to sing with those guys and help them a little and they laughed at him and walked away. So much for being humble. I guess the chickens are now coming home to roost. I bet it will be a while before they get invited abck to hollywood.

They were asked to be drum judges as well. I think this was the worst mistake that could have ever been made. How do let guys who cant recognize good singing judge?

Anyway, they seemed like a nice bunch of kids. They just need some guidance and directon from some experieced singers. If they are turning this direction away, they will never improve.

BTW, I hate it for the poor fancy dancers that had to dance to that song. And also to the straight dancers, that was probably the longest, slowest, straight dance song ive heard!

Get some experiece guys.

Brown Hornet
BrownHornet is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2002, 01:43 AM   #72
Pow Wow Visitor

Pantherclan10 is an unknown quantity at this point
hollywood pow wow

From what I understand the pow wow commitee accepted proposals from drums and all the head staff.

Southern Exposure was recomended, and Southern Eagle put in a proposal.
The commitee had gotten in touch w/ Southen Ex. first, thought evertything was all good w/ the Southern host, then the lead singer calls and says they want more money.

The pow wow commitee's budget couldn't afford to pay more to Southern Exposure, thus the job going to Southern Eagle.

I don't think the commitee knew Southern Eagle were so young and inexperienced. But like I said before they had put a proposal in and that's how they got the Southern host job.

That was my understanding of the situation.
Pantherclan10 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2002, 02:53 AM   #73
Tiny Tot Dancer

SouthernDrumSinger is on a distinguished road
Credits: 187.20
hey Brown Hornet,
what were the drum contest results? did they split the categories?
Old 02-13-2002, 09:02 AM   #74
Junior Dancer

Lapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond repute
Let me start out by saying that I do not think that SE should have taken the job. You know when you are in over your head in a situation. You also know what you are prepared for. What I do want to ask is, does the committee have some kind of protocol for choosing a drum? Do they not ask pertinent questions like how many host jobs have you had (and where)? How long have you been singing? How many songs that are yours do you have? What top 40 songs do you know? Where have you set up before? Can I get a demo tape? Age of your members? These are very important questions and I think a little research would have and should have been done. Grant it, SE probably shouldn't have put in a proposal, but the committe just shouldn't except anything that comes their way. And time to find one shouldn't be an issue because you should start early and have your host drums set up early. I feel bad for these guys because I feel like they are gonna catch a bad rap now, but there have been some truths spoken here. I think they, like any drum, have the potential to be great. IT's gonna take time, especially when you are young. The only way to get there though is to have people see it and help (but they must be receptive). People shouldn't black ball them. Now if SE refuses help, then that's on them and you're right, they won't go anywhere. But to just sit up here and bad mouth them isn't good either. I think we've all established they shouldn't have taken the job (that's evident with the poll). Now, others that have the experience should contact the (if there are 2 willing parties) and have a workshop or something to offer help. Just my 2 cents. And it doesn't mean that much.

Lastly, I wanted to say how irritated I get when you are in the mood to dance or in competition and you get a drum that constantly messes up. I know how you feel. I'm not in anyone's corner here and not defending SE becasue I know what it is like as stated above. They key I'm trying to make is bad mouthing and blocking out NC drums isn't the answer. As Ace mentioned, I know several NC drums that rock! Others who have started later have the potential and I think we should let them reach it before judging all of them especially without being heard. Thank you.
Lapis Queen is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2002, 02:15 PM   #75
Tiny Tot Dancer

X49er

Hey X49er You want to talk about that then I remember when you started sing with cedar tree You had a rough sound just like the rest of us singers and you do the same thing so don't start something you cant finish. And you sure talk to them like you know them as friends but when powwows come along it's different. As for Otter trail the hell with them, I remember when al Bold Eagle had his Arawak MTn singers you want to talk about a bad sound twice as bad as Southern Eagle. True but before that remember you guys came to dad and I not the other way around. And true I was not there to judge, But like I said We have all been down that road of sound bad and being made fun of.
Old 02-13-2002, 02:25 PM   #76
Tiny Tot Dancer

X49er, Don't forget it was ray, me, dad, matt, walter, chico, jose, will, harry, yasti, Johnny hughs, mark, That got OT or I should say Al his group where it is. we are the original member of the Otter Trail group that got him known. So he is just a rider off of what Ray Silva got started. That name came from ray.
Old 02-13-2002, 06:13 PM   #77
Tiny Tot Dancer

X49ER is on a distinguished road
Credits: 613.00
Talking

Last edited by X49ER; 02-09-2010 at 02:49 PM..
X49ER is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-14-2002, 11:10 AM   #78
Pow Wow Visitor

first_tymer has a little shameless behaviour in the past
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Smokin' Ace
By the way, hopefully, by the end of March - you can all hear some of the best of what NC has to offer, via the Kau-ta-noh, Jrs. first of five CD's from Sunshine Records - check out Sunshine's website for more info = we are currently rebuilding our website - should be up and running soon, too. :)

Hey Smokin Ace,
What the hell is KTN Jr. doing signing with Sunshine. Do you's not know the poor quality of their recordings and the fact that people shy away from their tapes and CD's because they are willing to tape anything? I mean you can get two white guys banging on a garbage can and send it to them and they'll release it. Do yourselves a favor and first of all don't sign a five tape deal with ANYONE and get the hell away from Sunshine.
first_tymer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-14-2002, 12:09 PM   #79
Arena Director

Geez - too late. :(

Hey live and learn - we already signed - we are still excited about the recording - and maybe it won't be as painful as everyone seems to think.

BTW - you are not the first to tell us that - and thanks for your words, but the deals already done.

Hey - happy Valentine's Day everybody!!! :)
Old 02-14-2002, 12:28 PM   #80
Tiny Tot Dancer

BrownHornet is on a distinguished road
Credits: 160.00
I hate to say it ACE but when I saw the Sunshine name, I was shocked. I dont know many people that buy their stuff anymore.

BH
BrownHornet is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links