Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Southern Singing Horse Stealing Songs Horse Stealing Songs

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2001, 11:21 AM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Little One~ is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Question Horse Stealing Songs

When I was little, my dad would sing me what I called "the horsey songs," and to this day, they are still my favorite songs to hear at a dance.

I would like to hear of their history. All I've ever known was that they spoke of horses, and that they were beautiful.

I could try to do the phonetic, but I'd probably butcher it, so I won't!
Little One~ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2001, 03:20 PM   #2
Pow Wow Visitor

Hmm...

People are looking, but no one is answering. Any comments? Anyone?
Old 10-24-2001, 04:59 PM   #3
Tiny Tot Dancer

echohawk neconie is an unknown quantity at this point
horse stealing songs

The songs that you are asking about come from a society that use to be out by el rino, ok. they say it was a horsteling society that was only danced by people that new how to. they say these song are not supose to be sung at powwows on when they have these dances or if you have the right to sing them. Thats what I'v been told by some of my uncles. But like you say they are good soong to listen to. I like to listen to the old timers sing these song.
echohawk neconie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-25-2001, 09:46 PM   #4
Tiny Tot Dancer

MrRuminator is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Horse Stealing Songs

Quote:
Originally posted by Little One~
When I was little, my dad would sing me what I called "the horsey songs," and to this day, they are still my favorite songs to hear at a dance.

I would like to hear of their history. All I've ever known was that they spoke of horses, and that they were beautiful.

Nini,
The songs you ask about are Ponca hethushka songs that speak about horses & riders running or charging into battle against an enemy, so they're not really horse stealing songs as referred to by Kiowas. One song does taunt the former owner of a captured appaloosa by saying, "You want this spotted rump? Try and take him back!" The "horse stealing" songs used in SW Oklahoma are their version of the trot , however, the step used is different and you pretty much only find some of the elderly women dancing it correctly anymore. Also, depending on the singers, they may add some songs belonging to the Wichita and Pawnee Young Dog Society...beautiful songs. If they're really sharp they'll add some no'stape tunes too.

Ah'p
Old 10-26-2001, 01:13 AM   #5
Teen Dancer

travelingmocs has a reputation beyond repute
travelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond repute
A few years ago at White Bear, the drum sang what one person called tip toe songs. I forgot the ponca word he used. But can any one give light to those songs please?
Old 10-26-2001, 02:53 PM   #6
Pow Wow Visitor

Re: Re: Horse Stealing Songs

MrRuminator,

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure where I got "Horse Stealing Songs," but I certainly didn't think Horsey Songs would quite work for a thread title. :)

Which is the song that talks about the appaloosa?
Old 10-26-2001, 08:54 PM   #7
Tiny Tot Dancer

WaxeNuZhinga is an unknown quantity at this point
Travelingmocs: The Ponca songs you are referring to are called no'stope songs and have already been metioned here. It just means that you are supposed to dance the songs without a full step, or on your tip toes. These songs generally are vocable songs and as I understand it were supposed to be part of the Hethushka but aren't sung alone anymore. As I recall at White Bear, they sang them mixed in with the trot songs.

Little One: There is a Ponca war dance songs that as MrRuminator said talks about an appaloosa horse, which they call niNde' ska which means literally white rump. I am sure there are other songs that talk about that type of horse but I am only familiar with one.

Hope this helps in some way.

Yer Friendly Moderator
WaxeNuZhinga is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2002, 03:57 AM   #8
Old Style Dancer

Black Eagle is an unknown quantity at this point
Language

Well, I would say 'oh those are (insert tribal name here) songs' but I can't because I don't know what the language is. There were more than just one or two nations that sang about horses. I will say though, that I am familiar with giving away horse songs, horse owning songs, and horse stealing songs. Can't say for certain what tribe though as I have studied the songs and singing of at least four different nations, with my greatest area of study being in Lakota.
Old 01-08-2002, 10:20 AM   #9
Pow Wow Visitor

Thanks for replying! It makes sense to me that many tribes had horse related songs. And now I feel all the more silly for not knowing what tribe the songs I spoke of came from before I posted.

The songs I was trying to get information on are from the Ponca, and Ruminator and Waxezhinga pointed me in the right direction. My father just recently gave me a tape with the songs he used to sing for me on it. The one about the Appaloosa is there, and it's one of my favorites!

Please, if you have any other information you'd like to share about the Lakota, I would enjoy hearing it. Knowing what a song speaks about can give a person new insight to understanding the people who wrote it. IMO anyway.

Thanks again,

Little One~
Old 01-08-2002, 02:15 PM   #10
Tiny Tot Dancer

X49ER is on a distinguished road
Credits: 613.00
Horse stealing songs trot songs are sung all over the country at almost any Pow wow have never heard anyone say they should not be sung at Pow wow. Cozad sings most of the Kiowa horse stealing songs and they make them sound goooood! along with Yellow Hammer and trot songs love hearing those songs. someone on this thread said somthing about not singing them at Pow wow's. not sure where that! info came from, but everyone else sings them. maybe their new to singing, anyway when sung good they are some pretty songs no matter what tribe.

I DROPPED MY FRYBREAD!
X49ER is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links