PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Southern Singing (http://forums.powwows.com/f19/)
-   -   How do you...... (http://forums.powwows.com/f19/how-do-you-32056/)

WhoMe 03-01-2006 05:31 PM

How do you......

Not everybody is meant to be a singer.

Some people couldn't sing on key, if their life depended on it.

How do you politely tell someone, "don't quit your day job?"

billyjoejimbob 03-01-2006 06:01 PM

OOOH good one.

I DEFINITELY need THIS answer.

danbear 03-01-2006 06:25 PM

hmmm

that is an excellent question, "... hey man, your a really good dancer, uh, don't you feel like dancin today?" :star: :star: :star: :star:

suthernwaterbird 03-01-2006 09:49 PM

really i dont turn anyone down. It's not how i was taught. No1 ever told me I couldn't sing. Who am I to tell someone they can't sit down at that grandpa any way. Jus a couple thoughts.

Brackett481 03-02-2006 12:22 AM

How bout this 'in Fellers

Since the White boy from bama catches the crap...My turn

"Hey buddy, you from alabama?"

"Wow, You sing like a white guy!!!"

"You can't bring it!"

"Have you ever thought about starting a drum in Alabama?"

"Grab a banjo and you will go far with a voice like that"

Yee Haw!!! ROLL TIDE

lol

Kiwehnzii 03-02-2006 12:54 AM

Holding a recorder up close to the offending party during practice might work. Just tell him to listen to himself.

or.......... tell him yo sit with an Alabama drum. Nah........... that would be heartless.

Mato Winyan 03-02-2006 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhoMe
Not everybody is meant to be a singer.

Some people couldn't sing on key, if their life depended on it.

How do you politely tell someone, "don't quit your day job?"

You could ask him if for this session if he could sing tenor............ ten or eleven miles down the road! :hysterica

danbear 03-02-2006 10:08 AM

lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwehnzii
Holding a recorder up close to the offending party during practice might work. Just tell him to listen to himself.

or.......... tell him yo sit with an Alabama drum. Nah........... that would be heartless.

and the saga continues.....lmao

suthernwaterbird...really i dont turn anyone down. It's not how i was taught. No1 ever told me I couldn't sing. Who am I to tell someone they can't sit down at that grandpa any way. Jus a couple thoughts

i agree with this, i was trying to make a descent joke on my previous post

to suthernwaterbird, hey man you goin to mtsu this weekend?

hobbs49 03-02-2006 10:55 AM

Not Effective...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brackett481
Since the White boy from bama catches the crap...My turn

"Hey buddy, you from alabama?"

"Wow, You sing like a white guy!!!"

"You can't bring it!"

"Have you ever thought about starting a drum in Alabama?"

"Grab a banjo and you will go far with a voice like that"

Yee Haw!!! ROLL TIDE

lol

Brackett,

These have all be used on me and none of them have worked so far. I'm still out there trying :tounge_sm

suthernwaterbird 03-02-2006 11:55 AM

well CORN bread. and yea dan im goin. badwater is tha crew this wekend. yall check us OUUUT.

Wojapi4Me 03-02-2006 12:10 PM

The best way to handle it would be to hit em in the head, duct tape their feet, put them in a mailbag and toss them in the river... :spit:

no wait...that's how Goodfellas would handle it...I've been watching too many gangster movies :hysterica

Actually, I agree with suthernwatebird...it'd be hard to tell someone something like that...maybe just try to encourage them to get better without it coming across like you're telling them they suck. Voices can be trained, and everyone can sound better. Granted, not everyone has a Cozad or Kemble voice, but everyone can improve on what they have. If they guy is truly putting in the effort, he'll get better. If he's just playing at it, then you can call him on that and maybe he'll pick up his pace.

billyjoejimbob 03-02-2006 12:15 PM

yeah its not noce to turn someone down. people have let me sing with them. that means i am either an awesome singer or they feel sorry for me. either way im grateful.

I sang with a drum that had a few people who werent really good singers. they had big voices...but they couldnt sing. (know what i mean)

when someone with a big voice is singing, it drags everyone to their level and tempo. that was the problem, his tempo was about half a step slower than everyone elses, sometimes a whole step slower!

southernsky 03-02-2006 03:16 PM

Tell them to go sit in the middle if they are in oklahoma.....that's where it all begins, a lot of people today assume they can sing, they get in a drum group that might have some good singers in it, they might win a contest somewhere, and when that happens they automatically assume they are good singers...when they are NOT! Take my group for example, we have some dam good singers and a few that can't sing for $hit, but we've all won championships and sometimes it goes to their head....but just put them back in check, ask them to start a song, most will opt not to start it. If they do start the song, just record it, then let them listen to it later, and when you all laugh your butts off because they sounded so lame when they started the song, they will realize on thier own that they can't sing. Somewhat of a touchy topic because today's people are too scared that if you say something someone will get their feelings hurt, but in the old days if you couldn't sing you were not going to be out there....bottom line!

danbear 03-02-2006 05:48 PM

badwater aye

Quote:

Originally Posted by suthernwaterbird
well CORN bread. and yea dan im goin. badwater is tha crew this wekend. yall check us OUUUT.

jackie called me earlier this week me, josh, and dean will be joinin yall for the weekend. i'm bringin my good stick :star: :star: :star: :star:

billyjoejimbob 03-02-2006 06:09 PM

next thing you know, there will be lawsuits because you didnt let someone sing!!!

suthernwaterbird 03-06-2006 04:33 AM

billyjoe where u from>?

WhoMe 03-07-2006 05:52 PM

How do you tell someone with a strong, "awful" voice to... well,

sing more softly?

You know. Some people get carried away when their "feelin' it!"

Kiwehnzii 03-08-2006 01:20 AM

Just say " Hit the drum on the side real light" and " Here, eat these halls. :tapedshut All of 'em "

Aye, J/K

Gledanh Zhinga 09-09-2006 06:46 PM

Getting thumped

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyjoejimbob
next thing you know, there will be lawsuits because you didnt let someone sing!!!

I was told that when the youthful Tom Teegarden was learning to sing at Ben Black Bear's drum, Ben used to give him a clout with the drumstick when he goofed. That would be an attention getter.

We used to hear a WW II song by Jo Stafford, titled "Long Ago and Far Away". When my dad heard me singing, he would say, "Hey son, can you sing long ago and far away?"

My buddy said to me once, "Can you sing solo, so low we can't hear ya'?"

TacO5000 09-12-2006 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhoMe
How do you tell someone with a strong, "awful" voice to... well,

sing more softly?

You know. Some people get carried away when their "feelin' it!"

Dang Whome what are you tryna say bout me???? :thinking: