Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Southern Singing How do you... How do you...

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 10:19 PM   #1
Taskahoi Atsuti

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
LSS has a reputation beyond repute
LSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 278.94
Savings: 1.00
How do you...

either get/keep kids interested in the things we do? Is it a matter of just being persistent...always being around...

If you got an idea...please let me know!

I'm in a situation where I'm working with adults of all ages and getting them involved is like pulling teeth!
To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!
LSS is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
Red Clover Women's Drum

Miakodastar is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Talking just keep trying

I imerse my children in my drums.....always playing music....practicing at home....going to weekly practice3 and make sure tey are involved...we build drums...we base everyting around our native community that way they are just loving it and learning so that our ways aare passed oj
Miakodastar is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
Zintkala Towa Win

Zintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond repute
Zintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,256.34
Persistence!!

Just curious are you starting a dance class or what?? I have loved being apart of the ways of my people since I was little. I know that with my daughter I introduced her into the circle when she was a baby and I have encouraged her to keep dancing. I will play pow wow music at home and she dances around the living room. When I make her regalia I let her help pick out fabrics and what not. That way it is something that she likes. I also think that giving someone there "Indian" name helps. Makes it feel like you are more connected to the ways of your people.
Zintkala Towa Win is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2010, 02:05 PM   #4
Pow Wow Visitor

dhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond repute
Last week I finally entered the cirlce (29 years old). My uncle kept asking me but I kept finding excuses. I was busy trying to be with my friends and looking for the "fun" stuff to do. I finally entered because the death of a friend. Now that I am part of the circle I haven't stopped thinking about it since I danced on Saturday. I danced horribly but it still woke something up in my spirit. I now find myself dancing or practicing to dance in my garage or around the house. I had no idea that the circle could bring this out in me. I figure the kids just don't know either. Find a way to show them what it has to offer. I don't know what you are trying to get them interested in but the concept should be the same.
dhaun113 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2010, 07:37 PM   #5
Taskahoi Atsuti

LSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaun113 View Post
Last week I finally entered the cirlce (29 years old). My uncle kept asking me but I kept finding excuses. I was busy trying to be with my friends and looking for the "fun" stuff to do. I finally entered because the death of a friend. Now that I am part of the circle I haven't stopped thinking about it since I danced on Saturday. I danced horribly but it still woke something up in my spirit. I now find myself dancing or practicing to dance in my garage or around the house. I had no idea that the circle could bring this out in me. I figure the kids just don't know either. Find a way to show them what it has to offer. I don't know what you are trying to get them interested in but the concept should be the same.
Just trying to get them interested in themselves really!
To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:11 PM   #6
Powwows.com Princess

Items Panda
ugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond repute
ugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,530.89
Be Persistent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSS View Post
either get/keep kids interested in the things we do? Is it a matter of just being persistent...always being around...

If you got an idea...please let me know!

I'm in a situation where I'm working with adults of all ages and getting them involved is like pulling teeth!
Get them involved in make their regalia, and practicing on their dances at home.
Just keep encouraging them.

"We Walk in Two Worlds"

ugidali is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2010, 01:03 PM   #7
Pow Wow Visitor

dhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond reputedhaun113 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Just trying to get them interested in themselves really!
Then you will have to just be persistent. Show them what they have to offer to our ways and what our ways have to offer them.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:33 PM   #8
Pow Wow Visitor

ohbuh has a reputation beyond reputeohbuh has a reputation beyond reputeohbuh has a reputation beyond reputeohbuh has a reputation beyond reputeohbuh has a reputation beyond reputeohbuh has a reputation beyond reputeohbuh has a reputation beyond reputeohbuh has a reputation beyond reputeohbuh has a reputation beyond reputeohbuh has a reputation beyond reputeohbuh has a reputation beyond reputeohbuh has a reputation beyond reputeohbuh has a reputation beyond reputeohbuh has a reputation beyond reputeohbuh has a reputation beyond reputeohbuh has a reputation beyond reputeohbuh has a reputation beyond reputeohbuh has a reputation beyond reputeohbuh has a reputation beyond reputeohbuh has a reputation beyond repute
oh thing you can do is always keeping them busy and when they get tired starts something else new.
ohbuh is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2010, 01:59 PM   #9
Holy Indian Taco Batman!

hobbs49 has a reputation beyond repute
hobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 49.99
Talk to the Wii folks and see if they would create a "Powwow Hero" That will get their attention.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:58 PM   #10
Pow Wow Visitor

We would all be stuck in the house playing powwow heroe then. I would get fired from my job!!!! I think I would have to buy Dance Dance Powwowvolution
Old 03-04-2010, 09:41 AM   #11
Taskahoi Atsuti

Post What do you think about this?

In a recent conversation with elders and peers...we found that the biggest problem is that we (those who are viewed as elders by someone) are not talking. A good deal of it has to do with modesty...while there is a small percentage of those who "just don't know".

How often do you witness evidence of either people just not talking (taking to the time to take their natural right to educate) or people just not listening (being wrapped up in the changing world)?

Old 03-04-2010, 11:16 AM   #12
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,589.70
Quote:
In a recent conversation with elders and peers...we found that the biggest problem is that we (those who are viewed as elders by someone)

Old 03-04-2010, 07:03 PM   #13
Holy Indian Taco Batman!

hobbs49 has a reputation beyond repute
hobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 49.99
LSS, you reference a person's "Natural right to educate." An interesting concept. But as an outsider, even tho I hang around the circle, do I really have a "natural right to educate" on this subject? I might even suggest, that you or likely most of the folks you sit with, aren't from Oklahoma people, so do you have a "natural right to educate" when it comes to songs from Oklahoma? You and I are good friends so you know I'll share my opinions. I'll also often share what I've heard from others. But I've never considered my conversations with you or anyone, to be education, but instead the passing of information and opinion to allow the recipient to decide. Maybe that is education, but it certainly isn't a "natural right" as I don't have the education nor background myself to be authoritative on many subjects. Further, I believe, it's frustrating to those with the education and/or background, to see the posers trying to be all that. As a result, I believe that really smart people are just careful about what they say and to whom they say it.

That's my worthless opinion at least :-)
Old 03-04-2010, 10:45 PM   #14
Tiny Tot Dancer

BigChef has a reputation beyond reputeBigChef has a reputation beyond repute
BigChef has a reputation beyond reputeBigChef has a reputation beyond reputeBigChef has a reputation beyond reputeBigChef has a reputation beyond reputeBigChef has a reputation beyond reputeBigChef has a reputation beyond reputeBigChef has a reputation beyond reputeBigChef has a reputation beyond reputeBigChef has a reputation beyond reputeBigChef has a reputation beyond reputeBigChef has a reputation beyond reputeBigChef has a reputation beyond reputeBigChef has a reputation beyond reputeBigChef has a reputation beyond reputeBigChef has a reputation beyond reputeBigChef has a reputation beyond reputeBigChef has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs49 View Post
LSS, you reference a person's "Natural right to educate." An interesting concept. But as an outsider, even tho I hang around the circle, do I really have a "natural right to educate" on this subject? I might even suggest, that you or likely most of the folks you sit with, aren't from Oklahoma people, so do you have a "natural right to educate" when it comes to songs from Oklahoma? You and I are good friends so you know I'll share my opinions. I'll also often share what I've heard from others. But I've never considered my conversations with you or anyone, to be education, but instead the passing of information and opinion to allow the recipient to decide. Maybe that is education, but it certainly isn't a "natural right" as I don't have the education nor background myself to be authoritative on many subjects. Further, I believe, it's frustrating to those with the education and/or background, to see the posers trying to be all that. As a result, I believe that really smart people are just careful about what they say and to whom they say it.

BigChef is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2010, 12:51 AM   #15
Taskahoi Atsuti

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs49 View Post

You hit my idea/concept on the side of the head...but for good reason!

When I made the comment about the "natural right"...I was referring to those you have that relationship with and the subject matter of which you as an individual would have a connection with. For example, because you and I are fathers, we have that "natural right" to educate...and we do. When I made that comment, I was thinking of my nieces and nephews...those by blood and those by adoption.

Also, you brought up another good point that warrants my explanation...When it comes to songs not from my "ancestry", no, it is not my place to educate on that matter. And I do not. Does that mean that I deny others the opportunity to be exposed to what I've been afforded to learn? No. I often preface what I've shared with the telling of a short story...how I learned it...how it come to me. For example, there is this one Pawnee song I learned several years ago that we do not even sing. A couple of guys may have heard me mention the song but no one else knows it. And thats just one in particular right off the top of my head. There are others. I think only a "special person" would try to take something that does not belong to them and make a self-proclamation that they are an authority on subject matter "X".

As far as an outsider sharing information...I think its important to understand that those "outsiders" have been GIVEN information for a certain reason...and they didn't get if off a CD to say, "I am God's Gift to the Kiowa Nation!" I think if that were me,...there would be a plenty of Kiowa ready to me my rear on a hubcap! I guess what I'm trying to say here is that some acquire that right and they never really use it...BUT...people always find a way to come to this individual. Their opinions, formulated by years of experience (whether by watching, listening or participating), are often coinciding with what someone with that "natural right" would in fact say.

Hmmmm....have I straightened out that nail?

Old 04-19-2010, 10:49 AM   #16
Pow Wow Visitor

maybe its not that the elders do not want to talk about it its just who they want to talk about it with and where. I recently started going to the tipi meetings and in there the elders will sit with you and talk about the old ways and why things are the way they are. at powwows though the information isn't as open as that. Maybe they are only talking to those that show they actually care to learn. I had dinner with the elders that brought me in as a straight dancer. They explained some things to me. Before I was dancing they would just tell me short snipet of something and then move on to a different subject. But when the saw that I wanted to be a straight dancer they took me aside and really explained things to me just as in the meetings. I can understand them not wanting to talk to those who only want to know for them moment. It seems it would be a waste but to spend your energy on those who really care would accomplishm much more.
Sponsored Links