Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Southern Singing How head singers handle money How head singers handle money

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2004, 11:02 AM   #1
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,562.70
Savings: 0.00
How head singers handle money

_____

How many of you have seen the center drum get money from a blanket dance, honor songs, giveaways and the head singer pockets it all?

How do you feel and what do you do?

Several head singers have gained a bad reputation for constantly doing this over and over.

I have been taught if you treat "the drum with respect, it will take care of you."

What are your thoughts?
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2004, 02:20 PM   #2
Teen Dancer

Tom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Good Point

I am not sure what some of the Large Drums and very well known Drums do. But I have heard many stories from many singers about bad and even worse ways of handling the monies and expenses.

I know a few small drums that split everything perfectly - money, gifts, expenses, etc. As far as a gift they either keep it for the drum or sell it or something to that effect.

I know that many of the rather Large Drums should have a regular manager/accounant like person to take care of the finacial problems.
Tom Iron Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2004, 04:33 PM   #3
Fat Singer

billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
Is he pocketing it for himself or to divy up later?

I have seen drums count the money and divy it up on the drum. I think that is wrong. Its like openning your wedding cards in front of the person that gave it to you and counting the money.

I usually pocket it and divy it up at the end of the dance.
billyjoejimbob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2004, 05:19 PM   #4
Teen Dancer

storm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond repute
Down here the discreet singers divy up after the dance at the drum. Used to the head singer didn't much mess with the money just for the reasons stated. My Uncle usually let a friend at the drum keep it till after the dance. But there also is a long tradition down here of a few scoundrels in it for themselves. keep it all and take offf. Usually they were visitors from other tribes. Back before "drum groups" were big everyone at an open drum was payed. I have seen big name singers in the past few years divy only to friends or members of the group and ignore others. Modern times.. now its a business... God, I miss the 60"s.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:33 PM   #5
a Peace of.........

Peacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond repute
Location: just where the southern plains end...and the hill country begin...
Singing in Oklahoma and Texas...I see head singers do the same...blanket dance and money given during the giveaways are usually divided amongst the singers as the head singer sees fit..as an AD on occasion...I have always counted out money off to the side..put the money in folds of $5.00 and hand it to the head singer..making it easier for him to distribute...when he gets his envelope at the end of the dance..I seen head singers even divide that with the strong singers that helped him...we all know...not everyone who sits at the drum ..in the southern dances are always singers..some tend to be drum beaters.... anyways, that is from my observations
Old 02-03-2004, 06:54 PM   #6
Fat Singer

billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
Is that why there is always about 30 or 40 singers at a southern drum? maybe 6 are actually singing?

been there.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:04 PM   #7
Teen Dancer

storm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond repute
It's better than Northern... where you have 10 drums around the edge and NOBODY is actually singing.:p
Old 02-03-2004, 10:42 PM   #8
Teen Dancer

travelingmocs has a reputation beyond repute
travelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond repute
I have been at a few drums where the head singer will only pass out blanket money to the singers even the help he may have brought in to help and then keep all the contrat money for himself.

I by no means are a great singer and I feel honerd to just get some blanket money. But when I hear of singers not even paying the people he asked to come and help him, that upsets me. If your asked to be a head singer, no one can do it by them selfs and if you have good singers to come and help you pay the help.

Now paying the people who just sit around and do not help, well a couple dollars is all they deserve.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:09 AM   #9
Arena Director

powwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond repute
powwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 210.00
Well...yes this does happen all to often with certain singers that will stay unnamed. The only thing I can say about that is those that do this seldom have many people traveling with them cause no one wants to be burned. but to be honest it is totally up to the head singer how he handles it, but as I said...hard to sing by yourself.

Most singers I know and singing with will divide the money from the blanket dances, honor songs, giveaways (day money is what I call it) at the end of a session between all the singers in attendance ... if possible anyway. When I have been head singer I have my right hand man handle all the day moneys. He collects it and distributes it. I, as head singer, deal with the honorarium moneys. I give to the men that travel with me to help me sing and those that help leading songs and the like that just show up.

When my local drum group is contracted, I handle the money pretty much the same way. I let my right hand man handle the day money and I pay out to the contract money to the guys in the group and any strong singers that came to help out. If we have group expenses they come out off the top first.

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.
powwowbum49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2004, 12:33 AM   #10
Lovin' life,

Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 260.00
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally posted by storm
It's better than Northern... where you have 10 drums around the edge and NOBODY is actually singing.:p
Say what?:Thinking :dontknow:

:rtf:
Old 02-04-2004, 04:25 AM   #11
Pow Wow Visitor

cheif buffallo meat is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: How head singers handle money

Quote:
Originally posted by WhoMe
_____

How many of you have seen the center drum get money from a blanket dance, honor songs, giveaways and the head singer pockets it all?

How do you feel and what do you do?

Several head singers have gained a bad reputation for constantly doing this over and over.

I have been taught if you treat "the drum with respect, it will take care of you."

What are your thoughts?
Old 02-04-2004, 04:50 AM   #12
Pow Wow Visitor

cheif buffallo meat is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: How head singers handle money

Quote:
Originally posted by sirdady
Bing a head singer myself i know its wrong some of us knot all but some of us are taught by elders that give us a right to be around the drum that bring us in that way, and they teach us how to carry are selfs at the drum and holding back money$ is wrong kola! i'm only 26 years old but singing around thouse reaspected elders and bing spirital threw God it has made me wise., but i know where you are coming from i see elder men do that too (hold backmoney) i wont say any names but i consiter them not a very good person because everyone that sings should git money when they site ate the drum rether if they sing or just drum. because if you dont that is wrong and that would be bing bitter or having bitterness at that person and we need all the (brotherhood) that we can get out ther singing that makes the singing that much better.,
Old 02-04-2004, 10:53 AM   #13
Fat Singer

Mato I think Storm is talking about any contest powwow out there. Like Schemitzun, 40+ drums, maybe you get one song. If there is a special you may not sing all day. Unless your name is Black Lodge or Young Bird (no offense to these great drums). But I think their new policy of invited drums is gonna take care of that.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:59 AM   #14
Tiny Tot Dancer

teweigen will become famous soon enough
we put a good chunk of our money into an account and use it for the next coming powwows. Then we distribute the rest amongst the group as seen fit with the lead.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:00 AM   #15
Teen Dancer

Thanks billyjoejimbob.
Yes, Lots of drums, not much happening at those big powwows.
I was also teasing. We tease hard around here.
( I am a bit prejudiced, most of the songs down here are about fighting northern tribes (I mean sioux) :D

Last edited by storm; 02-04-2004 at 02:52 PM..
storm is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2004, 05:30 PM   #16
Professional Pretzel

Dawg Stylez has a reputation beyond reputeDawg Stylez has a reputation beyond reputeDawg Stylez has a reputation beyond reputeDawg Stylez has a reputation beyond reputeDawg Stylez has a reputation beyond reputeDawg Stylez has a reputation beyond reputeDawg Stylez has a reputation beyond reputeDawg Stylez has a reputation beyond reputeDawg Stylez has a reputation beyond reputeDawg Stylez has a reputation beyond reputeDawg Stylez has a reputation beyond reputeDawg Stylez has a reputation beyond reputeDawg Stylez has a reputation beyond reputeDawg Stylez has a reputation beyond reputeDawg Stylez has a reputation beyond reputeDawg Stylez has a reputation beyond reputeDawg Stylez has a reputation beyond reputeDawg Stylez has a reputation beyond reputeDawg Stylez has a reputation beyond reputeDawg Stylez has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by powwowbum49
Well...yes this does happen all to often with certain singers that will stay unnamed. The only thing I can say about that is those that do this seldom have many people traveling with them cause no one wants to be burned. but to be honest it is totally up to the head singer how he handles it, but as I said...hard to sing by yourself.

Most singers I know and singing with will divide the money from the blanket dances, honor songs, giveaways (day money is what I call it) at the end of a session between all the singers in attendance ... if possible anyway. When I have been head singer I have my right hand man handle all the day moneys. He collects it and distributes it. I, as head singer, deal with the honorarium moneys. I give to the men that travel with me to help me sing and those that help leading songs and the like that just show up.

When my local drum group is contracted, I handle the money pretty much the same way. I let my right hand man handle the day money and I pay out to the contract money to the guys in the group and any strong singers that came to help out. If we have group expenses they come out off the top first.
Yep - thats how we handle it.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:05 AM   #17
Pow Wow Visitor

The Old One is an unknown quantity at this point
Lol in my experience it wasn't the head singer who handled the money, it was the head singers wife lol

:chief:
The Old One is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2004, 09:13 PM   #18
Junior Dancer

Mike Hawk is a jewel in the rough
Savings: 0.01
Ive seen where the lead singer juss feeds the rest of the singers the whole weekend and gives them a little spending money along the way.

Ive also seen where theres dancers that sing with them all weekend, and if they place in their contest, they dont get paid. I dont think thats right t do that cuz i takes a lot to sit at the drum and possibly miss a spot check during intertribals, which i also think are not right.
Mike Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links