Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Southern Singing How are songs made? How are songs made?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2004, 07:26 PM   #1
Taskahoi Atsuti

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
LSS has a reputation beyond repute
LSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 278.94
Savings: 1.00
Question How are songs made? (Newly Renovated)

Ok, when I originally posted my question in this thread, I thought it made sense. But, as I looked at my original post it sounded more like an attack and not a question that was looking for some smoothing. So, lemme take another crack at it and rephrase.

As we have all experienced, not everyone was meant to sing just as not everyone was meant to dance....And man, isn't that a bowl of laughs sometimes?

And, of those who sing, some people are only singers while others are gifted to compose songs. With this in mind, I've gotta ask how other singers view their song compostion. Is it something they do themselves? Is it something that comes to them from the Creator or Ancestors?

And how about what they are used for! Do you say "I need a womens' round dance" when in fact you see jingle dress dancers dancing to the tempo, melody and or words? Or do you label it for that category? For those of you who feel songs come from up above, what are your thoughts on singing songs as they come to you?

Young Inquiring Minds Wanna Know!

LSS
To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!

Last edited by LSS; 07-09-2004 at 07:04 AM.. Reason: lack of clarity...too confusing
LSS is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2004, 07:10 AM   #2
Taskahoi Atsuti

LSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond repute
"If I build it, she will come!" - Christian Troy from NipTuck!

"If I rephrase it, they will answer!" - LSS
To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Old 07-09-2004, 09:26 AM   #3
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,589.70
Savings: 0.00
This is an easy one. . .

1. A melody comes to me
2. I make a few changes until it becomes consistant
3. I record it
4. I send the recording to our lead singer
5. He "straightens it out"
6. He teaches it to other singers
7. It's sung at a powwow
Old 07-09-2004, 09:53 AM   #4
Tiny Tot Dancer

bqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
This one is easier!

1. I pick up a big fat burrito while out running around.
2. I eat the burrito.
3. I can't get in the front door fast enough.
4. I grab the mail and my tape recorder on my way to the O.
5. I make sure I got TP and ventilation.
6. I go into a deep trance (Kinda like having a vision).
7. I record the song.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:20 AM   #5
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,589.70
Quote:
Originally Posted by bqueton
This one is easier!

1. I pick up a big fat burrito while out running around.
2. I eat the burrito.
3. I can't get in the front door fast enough.
4. I grab the mail and my tape recorder on my way to the O.
5. I make sure I got TP and ventilation.
6. I go into a deep trance (Kinda like having a vision).
7. I record the song.
__

Yup, they're sure is more than one way to make a song! *L

How was Stroud last night?
Old 07-09-2004, 10:45 AM   #6
Teen Dancer

Buckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond reputeBuckskinrose has a reputation beyond repute
how was stroud last night? We are going only for Saturday...
Buckskinrose is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2004, 11:45 AM   #7
Tiny Tot Dancer

bqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond repute
It was good for a Thursday Night. Should be a lot better tonight. Everyone is invited to come and sing. My drum is always open.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:10 PM   #8
Taskahoi Atsuti

What did I tell ya!

Old 07-10-2004, 02:36 PM   #9
Junior Dancer

SeaHawk is just really nice
Cool

Hey,
Whether you call it "catching a song" or "making a song" depends on what you believe. In the end it is all good. If only it were as easy as saying: We need a Southern Trot song and poof there it is. I think some folks try to force a song. There are some songs that can be used for second or even third categories however the original purpose should stay with that song. Other than that,
1. wait to catch a song
2. listen to that song
3. since we live in a world of tone/pitch without repitition, work it out. If the songs sounds like a traditional song work with it. I like to bring a song to the drum that is complete ie. long leads, short leads, pick up beats, tails etc.
4. Once everyone has listened to the song changes can be instituted but it is up to me since the song was gifted to me.

This may be a little more than my two cents.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:22 AM   #10
Taskahoi Atsuti

Quote:
There are some songs that can be used for second or even third categories however the original purpose should stay with that song.
- SeaHawk.

I totally agree. If you listen to the Rose Hill recording live at Hinkley, there is a Womens' Southern Buckskin that is a straight song. And it sounds b-e-a-utiful w/ a slowed pace from the intertribal. However, it doesn't sound bad as an *********** either. As a matter of fact, I've heard Southern Thunder sing this same song on a recording as well but as the ***********.

Sometimes, we as singers get in a bind and can't think of another song...lol

Sponsored Links