Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Southern Singing I Want To Start A Singing Group I Want To Start A Singing Group

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2004, 04:38 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
calffries is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
I Want To Start A Singing Group

HEY EVERYONE I AM A LEADER IN THE BOY SCOUTS ORDER OF THE ARROW. I AM VERY INTERESTED IN STARTING A DRUM TEAM, I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO START THIS WITHOUT HAVING ANY BACKGROUND OF THE SUBJECT. WHERE DO I GET A DRUM, MUSIC, AND WORDS. I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE THE HELP.

THANKS,
CHRISPY
calffries is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2004, 11:53 PM   #2
Junior Dancer

keeb_k is on a distinguished road
Are you sure you don't want a lil land with that ,maybe a few hunting and fishing rights tossed in, I'm sure you have plenty of beads to trade aye. :(
Old 01-07-2004, 10:01 AM   #3
An URBAN NDN

Singing Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond repute
Singing Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 367.44
Savings: 1.00
Refer to my answer in Northern singing.
Singing Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2004, 11:46 AM   #4
Tiny Tot Dancer

UrbanNdn79 will become famous soon enough
Yea!!! Dude!! All you need is a typical bass drum and you will be on your way pal!! You and your TEAM:D
Old 01-11-2004, 06:31 PM   #5
Taskahoi Atsuti

LSS has a reputation beyond repute
LSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 278.94
Hey Crispy....check your PM's....
To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!
LSS is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-11-2004, 07:01 PM   #6
Pow Wow Visitor

Ponca Papa is an unknown quantity at this point
New drum TEAM?

Please tell me you didn't just say that! Seems to me like you're extra crispy dude. Listen, you want to know where you can find some guidance on traditional music for yourself and your "team"? Try going to a Knights of Columbus dance or catch some Oktoberfest somewhere or better yet, order that lastest hot c.d. from Time Life Records....Polka Madness! Geez!
Ponca Papa is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2004, 04:49 AM   #7
Holla!

Bob B Bob Firechief has a reputation beyond reputeBob B Bob Firechief has a reputation beyond reputeBob B Bob Firechief has a reputation beyond reputeBob B Bob Firechief has a reputation beyond reputeBob B Bob Firechief has a reputation beyond reputeBob B Bob Firechief has a reputation beyond reputeBob B Bob Firechief has a reputation beyond reputeBob B Bob Firechief has a reputation beyond reputeBob B Bob Firechief has a reputation beyond reputeBob B Bob Firechief has a reputation beyond reputeBob B Bob Firechief has a reputation beyond reputeBob B Bob Firechief has a reputation beyond reputeBob B Bob Firechief has a reputation beyond reputeBob B Bob Firechief has a reputation beyond reputeBob B Bob Firechief has a reputation beyond reputeBob B Bob Firechief has a reputation beyond repute
Location: Where the sun meets the mountains and the hawk and eagle fly free
Like I said in Northern

The dude makes two posts. Both of them say the same thing, only difference is, one is in northern and other in southern.

I think he just wanted some attention and to rile things up.
Bob B Bob Firechief is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2005, 03:57 PM   #8
Insert Image Here

SmokeEater has a reputation beyond repute
SmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 261.80
Quote:
Originally Posted by calffries
I AM VERY INTERESTED IN STARTING A DRUM TEAM, I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO START THIS WITHOUT HAVING ANY BACKGROUND OF THE SUBJECT. WHERE DO I GET A DRUM, MUSIC, AND WORDS. I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE THE HELP.

THANKS,
CHRISPY

A team? I would think any team would need several key elements. You need uniform jerseys, a coach (or manager), players, back up players (to cover for your first string), cheerleaders, equipment manager, towel boy, and you need a playbook.

I hope this helps
Old 02-04-2005, 04:27 PM   #9
Kili!

Wojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond repute
Most drum are comprised of guys who are already singers and get together to sing as a group. It's very, very rare for a group to start where everyone is a newbie. I couldn't see this working out. Also, who is going to guide them? You? You don't even know anything yourself. This is a terrible idea. Just forget it and move on.

I don't think I'm being negative, just honest. 95% or more of the Boy Scouts who pow wow don't give a rat's a$$ about doing things even remotely correctly. The world doesn't need another on-beat drum.

If you and your guys are serious about it...take it slow, learn from real people, and don't worry about being a group for at least 5-10 years. Just learn how to sing and why you sing. But, I know from experience in trying to help Scouts that most have no patience and want everything now, now, now. Have fun.
Old 02-05-2005, 03:42 AM   #10
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
Quote:
Originally Posted by calffries
HEY EVERYONE I AM A LEADER IN THE BOY SCOUTS ORDER OF THE ARROW. I AM VERY INTERESTED IN STARTING A DRUM TEAM, I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO START THIS WITHOUT HAVING ANY BACKGROUND OF THE SUBJECT. WHERE DO I GET A DRUM, MUSIC, AND WORDS. I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE THE HELP.

THANKS,
CHRISPY
This is as bad as the other person looking to buy eagle plumes at a store last week! What ever happened to respecting other people's cultures??? This is a very bad idea Chrispy...seriously!
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2005, 04:35 PM   #11
Muzzy Dancer

Native_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond reputeNative_Sooner has a reputation beyond repute
Drum Team!!

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man thats a good one. Turn back! And run.
Native_Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2005, 06:54 PM   #12
The Original OP CREW

AlmostThere is a name known to all
wait. EXCuse me, But I really dont mean to sound too rude. But Dude you aren't native. I thought this was a native guy wanting to start a group with his "club scouts". i dunno, I think I'm confuesd. I think this topic should be in jokes in humor!

Last edited by katezninen; 02-06-2005 at 06:57 PM..
AlmostThere is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2005, 03:37 PM   #13
Smell my cookin'

The Rock has a spectacular aura about
Credits: 40.00
Old Thread....

This is an old thread from January of last year....he posted the same thing in the Northern Singing section.

I say we shoot it and let it die (the thread...)

The Rock is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2005, 05:22 PM   #14
Fat Singer

billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
Hey...at least he asked.

Could have just got a drum, some pink and yellow feathers, and made up some ya-ya-heya-hey songs. LOTS of that going on in scouting.

Like singerdad said, you dont really just start a drum. it is usually a bunch of "already singers". Or maybe a few singers teaching some newbies.

I was the same way. I was a boy scout. we decided to start a drum. We found a few guys who knew what to do and helped us. We were really crappy for a few years. Now we are just a little crappy. Not in the BSA anymore tho.

It is hard to keep a group together if it isnt someting that is part of your culture. For most non-ndns, it becomes a fad. Yeah its cool for a few years but than you find Nascar or rock climbing. ;) There has been about 30 people thru our drum. The same 3 have been herethe whole time. It turns out that I am the most serious about it.

Now when we sing it is us 3, and about 4 guys from other drums in the area. Maybe someone will sit with us that knows the songs we sing. And vice-versa. Sometimes we sit with other drums.
billyjoejimbob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2005, 05:25 PM   #15
Fat Singer

billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
Wait A Minute!!!

2004??? I thought that this post was from last month!

shoot.

There goes all my white wisdom. Right into a dead thread!
billyjoejimbob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2005, 06:11 PM   #16
The Original OP CREW

AlmostThere is a name known to all
*jokes*
Old 02-23-2005, 11:18 AM   #17
Banned

cowpokee is an unknown quantity at this point
Drums

Is There Anything I Need To Know About Beating A Pow Wow Drum.
cowpokee is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2005, 12:01 PM   #18
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Take care not to beat the tomtom too hard.
Kiwehnzii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2005, 12:10 PM   #19
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
One more thing. Don't take your drum into a restroom. I read some words of wisdom one day at a restroom in Southampton, Ontario.
"This is a teepee for you to peepee, not a wigwam to beat your tomtom"
Kiwehnzii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2005, 02:00 PM   #20
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Panda
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,339.79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwehnzii
"This is a teepee for you to peepee, not a wigwam to beat your tomtom"

Sheesh Ki.... now I heard em all
Kakeeya is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links