PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Southern Singing (http://forums.powwows.com/f19/)
-   -   know this song?? (http://forums.powwows.com/f19/know-song-40679/)

kguerito 09-12-2007 04:50 PM

know this song??

lead: Hethuska mahole be, wakan o’be-o he..
2nd: Hethuska mahole be, wakan o’be-o he..
Hethuska mahole be, wakan o'be, wakan o’be-o he
Hethuska mahole be, wakan o’be-o he
(3 heart beats)
Wakan o’be, wakan o’be-o he.
Hethuska mahole be, wakan o’be-o he

i think grey horse sings it. my cosin made me this mix southern cd and this songis in it. i like it, it really sounds good. forgive me for the spelling but does anyone know this song? and what is it about?

billyjoejimbob 09-13-2007 12:18 AM

Sounds like 10 other southern songs I know!!! :smile:

WhoMe 09-13-2007 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kguerito (Post 965732)
lead: Hethuska mahole be, wakan obe-o he..
2nd: Hethuska mahole be, wakan obe-o he..
Hethuska mahole be, wakan o'be, wakan obe-o he
Hethuska mahole be, waken obe, wakan obe-o he
(3 heart beats)
Wakan obe, wakan obe-o he.
Hethuska mahole be, wakan o'be, wakan obe-o he

i think grey horse sings it. my cosin made me this mix southern cd and this songis in it. i like it, it really sounds good. forgive me for the spelling but does anyone know this song? and what is it about?

bjjb,

Don't these words mean.....

"Baby, baby I want you soooooooooo bad,

... and I don't care who's watchin. So LOOK OUT!!!

kguerito 09-13-2007 06:40 PM

this song is all words, from begining to end.

southern_xtreme2k5 09-14-2007 03:33 PM

post a short audio clip of it

Str8Dancer49 09-14-2007 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southern_xtreme2k5 (Post 966442)
post a short audio clip of it

ditto.....

If it's a Greyhorse song.... any idea what album it was off of? Check out SOAR's website to see if they got the track listings, liner notes, or sound clips for any of the Greyhorse CDs.....

travelingmocs 09-14-2007 09:17 PM

In looking at the words, its probaly a ponca song. Now I will add this, Greyhorse used ponca songs and made some tapes back in the late 70's or early 80's called the Contest os on. But a audio clip would help. This I am sure, it is probaly a ponca song, but not sure of the source.

TMS:smile:

Str8Dancer49 09-15-2007 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travelingmocs (Post 966570)
This I am sure, it is probaly a ponca song.

Ehhh.... don't get ahead of yourself here. Jack used to compose songs w/ Ponca words, and the transcription fits his style of composition pretty well... he'd take a 3 or 4 word Ponca sentence and sing it over and over, then add in something about "wakan" or "Wakonda" then sing the first sentence 3 or 4 more times.....

hmmmmm..... Jack was a knowledgeable guy, but sometimes he made people scratch their heads and say "HUH?"....

The CD's the Greyhorse put out on SOAR have many songs w/ Ponca words (whether they're Ponca songs is a bit different matter.....)

WhoMe 09-16-2007 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Str8Dancer49 (Post 966659)
Ehhh.... don't get ahead of yourself here. Jack used to compose songs w/ Ponca words, and the transcription fits his style of composition pretty well... he'd take a 3 or 4 word Ponca sentence and sing it over and over, ...... The CD's the Greyhorse put out on SOAR have many songs w/ Ponca words (whether they're Ponca songs is a bit different matter.....)

*L

Thank you st8!

Finally someone knowledgable!!!!!

kguerito 09-16-2007 05:21 PM

what does wakonda mean?

Joe's Dad 09-17-2007 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kguerito (Post 967350)
what does wakonda mean?

I'll use it in a sentence...

"You wakonda the bridge and turn left".

GoingSnake 09-20-2007 11:08 PM

Word up

Quote:

Originally Posted by kguerito (Post 967350)
what does wakonda mean?

"Wakonda" means "creator" or "great mystery" or "god."

But Joe's Dad made a funny that's pretty hard to beat.:lol:

Kiowa Boy 09-26-2007 02:32 PM

If i am correct you might b talking about a song that grey hose sings, and the song was composed by Louie Sheridan. the song is a veteran song talks about here come the warriors or the warriors are coming, its been a while hope that helps.

Kiowa Boy 09-26-2007 02:33 PM

If i am correct you might b talking about a song that grey hose sings, and the song was composed by Louie Sheridan. the song is a veteran song talks about here come the warriors or the warriors are coming, its been a while hope that helps. The world in the song are O maha words so be careful not to mix them up with another tribe.

LSS 09-26-2007 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiowa Boy (Post 971349)
If i am correct you might b talking about a song that grey hose sings, and the song was composed by Louie Sheridan. the song is a veteran song talks about here come the warriors or the warriors are coming, its been a while hope that helps. The world in the song are O maha words so be careful not to mix them up with another tribe.

What KB is talking about here when he references to "not mix them up with another tribe"...there are several Oklahoma tribes that are related...linguistically speaking, related. This means that not only are their language similar, but also their ways. Ponca and O maha....yeah....lets not get them confused, not even with Otoe, Kaw, Quapaw.....

Do I need to continue?

LSS

jwashee 10-20-2007 07:59 PM

too much!!!

:hysterica
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe's Dad (Post 967414)
I'll use it in a sentence...

"You wakonda the bridge and turn left".

Coyot_In_The_House 10-29-2007 05:12 PM

2 much....

Pretty comical....What puzzles me though is how can you ask a question like this online?

REZ_ROCKET 10-31-2007 06:35 PM

what about that one OOKEETAY song... dats goot one too. who knows what ookeetay means:thinking:

LSS 10-31-2007 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REZ_ROCKET (Post 984327)
what about that one OOKEETAY song... dats goot one too. who knows what ookeetay means:thinking:

What song might dat be?....You'd have to give me more on dat...Better yet...just ask any Ponca!

hobbs49 11-01-2007 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REZ_ROCKET (Post 984327)

Whenever I hear that word, it reminds me of Buckwheat on Lil' Rascals.

Alphalpha : Buckwheat, you go guard the door so the girls can't get into our clubhouse.
Buckwheat : (with thumb and index finger touching and other fingers extended) OOKEETAY!