Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Southern Singing New Drum Needs Advise...Drum Songs... New Drum Needs Advise...Drum Songs...

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2006, 05:26 PM   #1
Drummer and Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Brackett481 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
New Drum Needs Advise...Drum Songs...

Hi everybody. I am new to the site but not the drum. I have recently started a new drum, but have only a limited number of songs of my own. I want to ask what the proper etiquette is on getting songs. I have been on a drum for the past 6 years, but none of the songs were mine, they were given to the drum itself.

If a song(s) is on a cd sold to the public, do can anyone or drum sing it? Should I still ask for permission?

I know that many of on here are drummers and singers who know the right ways, so if there is any advise or help you guys can give me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time, and I will see ya'll later.

Last edited by Brackett481; 01-23-2006 at 05:40 PM..
Brackett481 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2006, 05:38 PM   #2
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,562.70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackett481
... I know that many of on here are drummers and know the right ways, so if there is any advise or help you guys can give me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Brackett,

I think there are also a few "singers" on here too! *L
Old 01-23-2006, 06:17 PM   #3
Taskahoi Atsuti

LSS has a reputation beyond repute
LSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 278.94
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Hi everybody. I am new to the site but not the drum. I have recently started a new drum, but have only a limited number of songs of my own. I want to ask what the proper etiquette is on getting songs. I have been on a drum for the past 6 years, but none of the songs were mine, they were given to the drum itself.

If a song(s) is on a cd sold to the public, do can anyone or drum sing it? Should I still ask for permission?

I know that many of on here are drummers and singers who know the right ways, so if there is any advise or help you guys can give me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time, and I will see ya'll later.

Check your yahoo messenger,....I am sending you a personal messenger.
To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!
LSS is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2006, 06:34 PM   #4
Taskahoi Atsuti

LSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond repute
ok....scratch that.....my laptop here does not have yahoo here......

Typically if a song is on a recording.....i.e. commercially sold....it is ok to sing. HOWEVER, if you're gonna sing it, make sure you sing it correctly. For some people....singing word songs correctly comes easier while singing straight songs (vocable song) are easier for others......the ones you really need to make sure you sing correctly are the word songs. My suggestion to you is if you have some experience singing word songs....continue using your resources to pick up on those songs.

Be careful! I'm not sure if I should post this or not (and if I should edit this, I hope some of my trusted friends will let me know) but I found out this past weekend that a lot of the Ponca families are reclaiming their songs that have been recorded on commercial recordings. So, if you're singing ANY word song, make sure you know what it is saying and/or the story behind it. If someone gave you permission to sing it, make sure you remember who gave you that permission.

As a young singer you are gonna be eager to learn. Just remember you will continue to learn as you venture through your life as a singer. This means you will be subject to a lot of criticism and humility. Just take in stride and keep pluggin' away.

Rome was not conquered in a day!
To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Old 01-23-2006, 09:29 PM   #5
Drummer and Dancer

Brackett481 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the help...

Thank you for your advise...

I was wondering, does anyone know the order of songs on the Scissortail cd "enuf said"

i have the cd but not the list that says what song number is what...

Also, any other input on my previous question would be appreciated...

thanks LSS
Brackett481 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2006, 09:26 AM   #6
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSS
ok.... if you're singing ANY word song, make sure you know what it is saying and/or the story behind it. If someone gave you permission to sing it, make sure you remember who gave you that permission.

As a young singer you are gonna be eager to learn. Just remember you will continue to learn as you venture through your life as a singer.

Good sound advice LSS!
Old 01-24-2006, 12:26 PM   #7
CROW BEAR

danbear is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 150.00
order of songs

hey john, i've still got the original case i'll get the order to you some time i'll type it up and email it to you. i has heard something about ben possibly startin a drum is that you and him? well we'll holla man
danbear is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2006, 12:30 PM   #8
CROW BEAR

danbear is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 150.00
cd

you might be able to go to canyon records search for the disc and they nomally list the order of the songs there
danbear is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2006, 12:33 PM   #9
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Quote:
Thank you for your advise...

I was wondering, does anyone know the order of songs on the Scissortail cd "enuf said"

i have the cd but not the list that says what song number is what...

Also, any other input on my previous question would be appreciated...

thanks LSS

Brackett,

It is alway courteous to let a drum know that you are singing their songs. This is especially true if you are a forming a drum group and working on songs that you are going to sing at every powwow you attend.

A couple of Scissortail singers check this website from time-to-time.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:41 PM   #10
nobody

suthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 394.00
The way I was taught, is that when you pay that money for that cd, then you are paying for those songs. They are yours to sing, but sing them at the right times and sing them right, whether it be a vocabale song or word song. And WhoMe is right it is very courteous to let a drum know when you sing their songs, BUT they can't penalize you for it. Just remember to be humble about it.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:00 PM   #11
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by suthernwaterbird
The way I was taught, is that when you pay that money for that cd, then you are paying for those songs. They are yours to sing,

suthern,

Just making sure I heard you right...

For the price of a CD, the songs are yours?
Old 01-30-2006, 07:20 PM   #12
Taskahoi Atsuti

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe
suthern,

Just making sure I heard you right...

For the price of a CD, the songs are yours?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Old 01-30-2006, 09:23 PM   #13
nobody

suthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 394.00
Good job! Did you figure that out, ALL by yourself? If you're going to mock me, at least do it intelligently, instead of sounding like an infomercial.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:38 AM   #14
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Quote:
Originally Posted by suthernwaterbird
Good job! Did you figure that out, ALL by yourself? If you're going to mock me, at least do it intelligently, instead of sounding like an infomercial.
*L

According,

to,

your,

teachings....

IF, YOU, BUY, A, CD...

THE, SONGS, ARE, AUTOMATICALLY, YOURS???

(If you just got yourself backed into a corner, it's okay to tell the truth or... plead the 5th Amendment)

S'aalll Good!

Last edited by WhoMe; 01-31-2006 at 12:03 PM..
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2006, 04:55 PM   #15
Tiny Tot Dancer

southernsky is a jewel in the rough
Here is the very best advise your going to get:

Make your own songs that way no one can say spit!

I've learned that from 25+ years of singing!

Last edited by LSS; 02-03-2006 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: language
southernsky is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2006, 08:48 PM   #16
Singer/ Dancer

RedShield has a reputation beyond repute
RedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 369.00
Way I was told way back when was that when a group records it, it can be sung... with these exceptions...

If you don't know the language of a word song, don't sing it, if it's a nation or family song, don't sing it unless you're that nation or family without their permission, if you're at a pow wow that the group is singing at, don't sing their songs, it's just respect.

There is a lot of sharing across NDN Country, a lot of people learn songs from other singers and groups that actually come from another group or singer all together. That's why when we set up our lead singer takes tobacco to the other drums and offers it, that way if we sing another drums songs, there won't be any hard feelings... I try to keep to our own songs but there are some other tunes out there that just jam, and we are there to make the people dance and feel good, and if we know how to sing that song and jam it hard to make em dance, I don't see a problem with it.

Make sure you are singing the songs right and in the right situation, if you have a question what a song you want to learn is used for, either contact that drum and find out, or don't sing it. If you sing another drum's songs and you run into them along the way, ask them if it's ok to sing some of their songs and which ones you'd like to sing, most singers are cool with that and will be more than happy to let you. And when you learn another group's songs, be able to tell someone where you learned it if asked, like yeah... that's a Rose Hill tune off of Movin' On or whatever. Just make sure you are doing things in a good way, and I think you'll be alright.

Just my two cents worth... take it or leave it
RedShield is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2006, 06:52 PM   #17
Taskahoi Atsuti

lol....

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsky
Here is the very best advise your going to get:

Make your own songs that way no one can say spit!

I've learned that from 25+ years of singing!
Southernsky,

You mentioning this made me think about something that happened to me on the trail about 10 years ago. I was singing an honor song I had composed in my own language and this guy approaches me tryin' to scold me for singing a Sun Dance Song.

I had to slow this guys role a bit. I'm like look, and I proceed to explain to him how my language is related to the Lakota language and how I had just composed that song!

I wasn't ugly. But, boy...that sure got my goat!

LSS

Old 03-26-2006, 09:04 PM   #18
Tiny Tot Dancer

SouthernDrumSinger is on a distinguished road
Credits: 187.20
My Advice

Here is my two cents...I have not been singing as long as other singers on this thread but I have learned a LOT. The reason for that is because I was taught humility and humbleness from older singers. About these songs, there is a "top 40" that we like to call it that pretty much everyone sings. I know a few are from southern thunder, southern boyz, youngbird, cozad, etc. These are just damn good songs. I know alex smith made one called "Meant to Be"...that song has caught on like wild fire. The main thing is exactly what others have said on this thread....know what you are singing and have permission to sing it. Here's a story to back up what I'm saying. We sung a song composed by Leonard Cozad, Sr. at a powwow one time. Great song....one of his daughter-in-laws or niece or someone of some kin to him asked to speak to me. She said it was good to hear the song all the way out on the east coast but she didn't get the feeling she got when she heard it at home. She told me how it was supposed to be sung and what the song was about. I guess she was commending us and spanking our hand at the same time. I was humble and took the advice to heart. But I learned you never know who is listening.

If you show that your drum is walking the right path and remain humble, the creator will make a way for you to get your songs....whether it is by getting permission from others to sing theirs or by composing your own. WhoMe has given our drum group permission to sing a very important song to his family. Most "older" singers love for younger singers to sit down and talk with them about singing and the meaning of theses songs....it allows them to reminiss. I love it. Hope this helped you some.