Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Southern Singing new groups? new groups?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-20-2001, 12:44 PM   #21
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
hoksila is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
If I'm mistaken someone correct me.

I've seen this group NDN Avenue at a powwow, but they looked like just a throw together. I seen some guys from The Tribe, and some from Whitetail, are they really a group?

Southern Exposure, maybe you shouldn't come on here telling people to watch out, because I've seen things like that started on here, and you're gonna get some flack no matter how good you sound. It's just the fact that you're on here basically telling people that you're the greatest group around. And also saying that you got shafted at Hinckley, man that takes a lot of guts to say something like that with all the quality groups that go there.

You should let the people be the judge of how you sound, and you'll eventually (maybe) get the props you deserve. If you want to keep on going on and on, do it up, but just remember things are sometimes better off left unsaid.

aho!
~
Old 09-20-2001, 03:41 PM   #22
Tiny Tot Dancer

BrownHornet is on a distinguished road
Credits: 160.00
[QUOTE]Originally posted by hoksila:

"Southern Exposure, maybe you shouldn't come on here telling people to watch out"

I really dont think them telling us to watch out was meant to show any arrogance on their part. I believe they are just saying that they are new and will be hitting the powwow trail pretty hard in the next few so look for them.

As far as the comments about being shafted, maybe that was a little tasteless but its probably the truth. I know these guys and they are not like most big headed drum groups. I wish them the best of luck.

Brown Hornet

[ September 20, 2001: Message edited by: BrownHornet ]
BrownHornet is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2001, 06:04 PM   #23
Tiny Tot Dancer

hoksila is an unknown quantity at this point
It is just the point of the guy coming on here saying that they're up and coming. That's weak man. Leave it up to others to give you compliments before you just jump on here telling people that you're "on tour". And also I quote "start of something big". This person may not mean what he says, but say it differently it just looks bad in writing.

aho!
~
Old 09-20-2001, 06:27 PM   #24
Pow Wow Visitor

powwow_playa is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool

The topic of this discussion is up and coming southern groups so that is why he said Southern Exposure is up and coming. Someone asked and he answered. As for saying they are the start of somethin big its just a personal opinion and he ain't tryin to brag.
powwow_playa is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2001, 12:48 PM   #25
Tiny Tot Dancer

singing_badass is just really nice
Okay i've been reading to replys now....and i'm lending my 2 cents... Southern Exposure... now as far as i know.. this drum group came about suddenly --(an Instant Drumgroup!)and thats okay..they were trying to win some money in a singing contest...! But as stated by Sweetndn49 this drumgroup was thrown together a little bit of anything that could make a noise...! but they made the cut...(dont know about get shafted..maybe/maybe not) but regardless they accomplished what they intended to...they got 2nd! a younger crew... and thats okay too....BUT i think i have to agree with hoksila --although a lil confidence is good sometimes....it can hurt the reputation and how you are recieved! Its like now, when and if i ever see this particular group together, i'm going to wonder who it was that was soo arrogant on powwows.com--? and lets be a lil realistic...chances of seeing the SAME group is highly unlikely...cause any other time their own drumgroup will be set up! Now if you dont care about your reputations or the drums...--yeah...i guess you can get on here and talk all the smack you want! Personally to answer the first question..."up and coming drum groups/ new groups?" i think my pick IS Southern Boys....(their real!) I mean they know who they are, where they come from, and proud of it! Dont try and act like something thier not! What cha see is what ya get...and they make good music! ---AND THATS WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT!!!
singing_badass is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2001, 12:59 PM   #26
Pow Wow Visitor

a_singing_fool is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

;) I agree. Southern Boys are off to a good start. Their friendly, and you can tell they have a good spirit that comes with their drum! Their music is good to dance to as well to sing too! Good Luck to Southern Boys!
a_singing_fool is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2001, 05:15 PM   #27
Pow Wow Visitor

DungHill is an unknown quantity at this point
I would agree that Southern Boyz are pretty good. What happened on that last tape? It dont sound nothing like those guys. I think they should have recalled it or something.
DungHill is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2001, 06:48 PM   #28
Pow Wow Visitor

powwower has a reputation beyond reputepowwower has a reputation beyond reputepowwower has a reputation beyond reputepowwower has a reputation beyond reputepowwower has a reputation beyond reputepowwower has a reputation beyond reputepowwower has a reputation beyond reputepowwower has a reputation beyond reputepowwower has a reputation beyond reputepowwower has a reputation beyond reputepowwower has a reputation beyond reputepowwower has a reputation beyond reputepowwower has a reputation beyond reputepowwower has a reputation beyond reputepowwower has a reputation beyond reputepowwower has a reputation beyond repute
There is a new group from Apache, Oklahoma called, "Cedardale." They crew up with 12 solid singers and put up a powerful sound. I saw them in Wichita and again in Texas. They are currently composing their own songs and should be up to challenging the big drums in the near future.

They are made up of Kiowa, Kiowa-Apache and Comanche singers. They tried their wings this year at the Gathering but were a little intimidated by the big drums. They had a good sound but got excited and sung too fast on their first outing. A little experience will go a long way. Look out baby!
Old 09-21-2001, 06:58 PM   #29
Head Singing Judge

Kiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 390.00
I know a couple of drums from Oklahoma one of them is Southern Boys. They got a pretty solid sound but they need all their singers for every drum contest. Umm are the Ka To Noh Jrs southern?

Last edited by Kiiwedinong; 11-21-2006 at 03:23 PM..
Kiiwedinong is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2001, 09:47 PM   #30
Pow Wow Visitor

Ndn Softball Girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

i think that the southern boys are good
i go to school with one of the southern boys he is really cool and i think they have a good group going for them. :D

Ndn softball girl
Ndn Softball Girl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2001, 02:22 PM   #31
loves southern singn'

Sorry. Kau-Ta-Noh Jrs are not southern. They are northern (and if I'm not mistaken, they are more of a traditional northern group; but hey, I could be wrong on the traditional part).

Jason
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2001, 06:08 PM   #32
Pow Wow Visitor

yishdioh is an unknown quantity at this point
There's a group out of Colorado called Southern Mountain. They sometimes go by Southern Rockies. They're really nice guys and sound really great.
yishdioh is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2001, 10:52 AM   #33
BACK UP SINGER

sweetndn49 is on a distinguished road
how about sauk nation.. heard they were at tama..
Old 09-26-2001, 02:29 AM   #34
Pow Wow Visitor

asmsbz is an unknown quantity at this point
southern boyz r going to kinder next weekend to have some fun if u no what i mean.hope to see some of the new groups that everyone has been talking aboutdown theirlots of comp but o well who cares about singing contests its all about having fun were i come from
asmsbz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2001, 12:50 PM   #35
Pow Wow Visitor

powwow john is an unknown quantity at this point
southern boys are really good.whens the next tape comin out?i havent heard of any other drums on here execpt the poor boys they can sing too.and theres also some drums that still havent taken off like rockin horse i think could really be good someday.somtimes they set up and sound good and other times there not so good.but those three have potential to go a long ways
Old 10-02-2001, 03:04 PM   #36
BACK UP SINGER

Talking

HEY PICKLES!!!!!!!!how about your way are there any new groups around your way in kiowa country.... i also heard that southern exposure is making a tape... let me know when it comes out.... hey how about OUTLAWS.. they sounded good at morongo. ;)
Old 10-02-2001, 11:11 PM   #37
Pow Wow Visitor

T_to_the_oppah is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey yall in the powwow world. This is Cheevers and all im going to say is that those guys talking for us are just kidding.
The main thing we wanted to do at Hinkley is to have fun and check out women. We only set up cause all the boyz were going to be there. Thats the last thing we want is to sound cocky. Sure were going to try somethings but its nothing like yellowhammer or anything like that. We just want to sing. We sing for the feeling and the spirit. Thats what its all about. As said to me by my big brother larry cozad. But yall already have the wrong impression about us. If you really knew us then you would know how we are. We just kick it and have fun. As for me ,I sing with anybody who ask me to sing with them. So i dont really belong to a group. But if i had to pick out of all the groups it would be Southern Thunder. Cause those guys know what there doing. Ive been singing since i was about 4 yrs old with elders in Carnegie Oklahoma,so you cant say i dont know what im doing. I was taught by some of the best. Like Jimmy Kimble,Frank Adson, Larry Cozad,Old man Cozad, and many more. They were the ones who taught me what singing was all about. Hopefully that'll clear some of the Gossip. Aho!
T_to_the_oppah is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2001, 01:32 AM   #38
Pow Wow Visitor

NATIVE_WATER_GIRL is an unknown quantity at this point
HEY SOUTHERN BOYS ARE A GOOD DRUM GROUP. SOUTHERN EXPOSURE ARE AN UPCOMING GROUP, THAT WILL BE TRAVELING THIS SUMMER. I HEARD THAT THEY ARE TALKING AOBUT MAKING A TAPE PRETTY SOON. SO, GOOD LUCK BOYS (BROTHERS)!! :D
NATIVE_WATER_GIRL is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2001, 12:35 PM   #39
BACK UP SINGER

atta kid... that's the spirit to have... are you going to kinder...are you plan on making a tape any time soon???? :)
Old 10-03-2001, 05:13 PM   #40
Pow Wow Visitor

a_singing_fool is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

:p CHEEVERS!!Boy dat guy...he's a goot one! *lol* Thats the way to be....bold and all out there...WAY TO CLEAR UP ANY SMOKE!!! :D
a_singing_fool is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links