Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Southern Singing Northern Powwows in Fla. Northern Powwows in Fla.

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2007, 12:47 PM   #1
singer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Kiowawolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Northern Powwows in Fla.

Well it has been a sickening trend as of late...Grand entry and things normally seen at a Northern Powwow and being from the Dakotas gives you more credibility dang I guess I better act northern...
Kiowawolf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2007, 01:53 PM   #2
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Well.... ah.... lemme see. Florida is about as south as you can go in the U.S.

But........... is this traditional powwow area? Are there any Seminole style host drums? No? Maybe that's why they invite drums from different areas. Anyhoo, just a thought.

Kiowaolf, maybe you should write a proposal to the Seminole tribe and ask them to sanction the idea that Southern style singers and dancers be the main focus of the powwow since it is the south.

Good luck. Let us know how you make out.
Kiwehnzii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2007, 02:31 PM   #3
nobody

suthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 394.00
that might be a good suggestion...if they were seminole...but the powwows he is referring to...are "cherokee's of florida"
Old 02-23-2007, 02:53 PM   #4
Fat Singer

billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
So are Cherokee northern or southern or both since they are in a few states?

I go to powwows in the Northeast that are run southern style and in the south that are run northern.

The poles are reversing.

i think it is all a part of global warming!!!!
Really smart people who think they are smart.
billyjoejimbob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2007, 09:26 PM   #5
Taskahoi Atsuti

LSS has a reputation beyond repute
LSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 278.94
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjoejimbob View Post
So are Cherokee northern or southern or both since they are in a few states?

I go to powwows in the Northeast that are run southern style and in the south that are run northern.

The poles are reversing.

i think it is all a part of global warming!!!!
ha ha ha...good one....poles reversing....lol
To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!
LSS is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2007, 09:32 PM   #6
Taskahoi Atsuti

LSS has a reputation beyond repute
LSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 278.94
This is typically what happens when you get people out of their "traditional" comfort zones. Now...before I go any further, lets make it clear that we are not taking those who are properly brought into a "way" of doing things not their own. I've seen plenty of non-Kiowa who were brought into the Gourd Dance and have "done right" by their "sponsor". These people have good teachings.

But, for example...in the case of those who just take up ways and try to make it their own, they have a tendency not to know their head from their rear end. Cherokee were not "pow wow people"...and I say this because much of the "Woodland Natives" had their own War Dances and other ceremonies. I've seen plenty of times where people who just picked up things ended up doing them in a "bass-ackward" way and are totally opposed to anything different than what they know or are accustomed to.

LSS
To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!
LSS is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2007, 10:16 AM   #7
nobody

suthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 394.00
I've seen these Cherokee war dances, ofocurse a lot of people have now, they've premiered all over the U.S. "WHOOOOOOOOOAAAAAA" John John...Funny guy lol..
But yea it's rather humorous to watch these people fabricate traditions and dances, especially the meanings of these dances...Ofcourse I can't say anything. Who(me) an I to tell a "Cherokee" they can't stand at the 4 entrances and guard, while the women dance..
Old 02-24-2007, 01:07 PM   #8
Fat Singer

billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
I have noticed that alot of the lesser know tribes and NEW tribes in the northeast tend to have a mix of both n ans s culturers. its like they pick up something they like in each and make it their own. Unfortunately they pick up TOO much ceremonial stuff.

The larger tribes like Pequot, Mohegan and Shinnecock have the big competition powwows that mirror all the other big comp powwows, I know they both have their own smaller dances throughout the year but dont know what traditionas they follow. Anyone? Are they N, S, both or unique?

I went to one in MD a few years back and they did a give away for a new baby that entered the circle. They called up each and every family member they could think of and gave them something. I do remember the MOM was pretty clueless on how to hold a baby. The kid was too young to hold her head up and mom is out there dancing and the kids head was flopping around like a jack in the box. Maybe that is how they all get the way they end up.

I also go to some 'non-NDN' powwows and they are mostly run southern style. My northern friends still dance counter clockwise tho. Is it right for them to do that? Do northern dancers in OKLA do that? (probably not)
Really smart people who think they are smart.
billyjoejimbob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2007, 06:01 PM   #9
Grass Dancer

anishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond repute
anishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,258.05
I don't know if acting northern gives you more credibility. The seminole tribal fair seemed to stick to their seminole roots pretty well, I thought. There were northern dancers and drums there. I think they must keep those ones around for people like me " Northern NDN's that don't like to shovel".

Last edited by anishinabealltheway; 02-24-2007 at 06:05 PM..
anishinabealltheway is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2007, 06:23 PM   #10
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjoejimbob View Post
I have noticed that alot of the lesser know tribes and NEW tribes in the northeast tend to have a mix of both n ans s culturers. its like they pick up something they like in each and make it their own. Unfortunately they pick up TOO much ceremonial stuff.

The larger tribes like Pequot, Mohegan and Shinnecock have the big competition powwows that mirror all the other big comp powwows, I know they both have their own smaller dances throughout the year but dont know what traditionas they follow. Anyone? Are they N, S, both or unique?

I went to one in MD a few years back and they did a give away for a new baby that entered the circle. They called up each and every family member they could think of and gave them something. I do remember the MOM was pretty clueless on how to hold a baby. The kid was too young to hold her head up and mom is out there dancing and the kids head was flopping around like a jack in the box. Maybe that is how they all get the way they end up.

I also go to some 'non-NDN' powwows and they are mostly run southern style. My northern friends still dance counter clockwise tho. Is it right for them to do that? Do northern dancers in OKLA do that? (probably not)
Where I'm from in the Northwest, we dance counter clockwise, with the exception of the round-dance, that is always clockwise. Up here in Alaska, most people just dance clockwise. What gets me is some of thse yahoos from the Eastern US, even insisting on passing the damned matches clockwise around the drum, or paperwork clockwise around the room during a simple powwow org. meeting! WW
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2007, 06:48 PM   #11
Grass Dancer

anishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond repute
anishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,258.05
Quote:
Originally Posted by WocusWoman View Post
Where I'm from in the Northwest, we dance counter clockwise, with the exception of the round-dance, that is always clockwise. Up here in Alaska, most people just dance clockwise. What gets me is some of thse yahoos from the Eastern US, even insisting on passing the damned matches clockwise around the drum, or paperwork clockwise around the room during a simple powwow org. meeting! WW
I've never been to this kind of powwow before I almost want to go after hearing so much about it. If anything I could get a good laugh out of it. One of the eastern ones I mean. I'd like to check one of these non NDN ones out too I cant say I've ever seen such a spectacle.