Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Southern Singing Old Glory Old Glory

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2003, 11:29 AM   #21
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
tradish 4 you is on a distinguished road
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
the groups name red bird

they do alright i suppose
tradish 4 you is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2003, 11:03 AM   #22
Pow Wow Visitor

singingboy is an unknown quantity at this point
I guess they use to have a really good group. Now they seen to have a shortage of guys. Once they had about 10 guys and they were not to shabby. They were singing some pretty old southern songs. I have no clue where they learned them, but I know that they were old.
singingboy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2004, 01:09 PM   #23
*JiNgLe DaNcEr*

Jingling_In_Stars has a reputation beyond reputeJingling_In_Stars has a reputation beyond repute
Jingling_In_Stars has a reputation beyond reputeJingling_In_Stars has a reputation beyond reputeJingling_In_Stars has a reputation beyond reputeJingling_In_Stars has a reputation beyond reputeJingling_In_Stars has a reputation beyond reputeJingling_In_Stars has a reputation beyond reputeJingling_In_Stars has a reputation beyond reputeJingling_In_Stars has a reputation beyond reputeJingling_In_Stars has a reputation beyond reputeJingling_In_Stars has a reputation beyond reputeJingling_In_Stars has a reputation beyond reputeJingling_In_Stars has a reputation beyond reputeJingling_In_Stars has a reputation beyond reputeJingling_In_Stars has a reputation beyond reputeJingling_In_Stars has a reputation beyond reputeJingling_In_Stars has a reputation beyond reputeJingling_In_Stars has a reputation beyond reputeJingling_In_Stars has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,161.10
Thumbs up

Hey, I know the song that you are talking about. Red Bird is the drum that sing that song. I have known them for awhile and everytime I go to a dance around here Im always looking forward to hearing them sing that song. :Thumbs

~By the way what powwow did you see them at??
At some point, you have to make a decision. Boundaries don't keep other people out. They fence you in. Life is messy. That's how we're made. So, you can waste your lives drawing lines. Or you can live your life crossing them. . .
Jingling_In_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2004, 02:04 PM   #24
Hoop Dancer

hoopster girl is infamous around these parts
DeUnDaGa, its in Custaloga Town in Pennslyvania ..spitting distance from ohio. .they are were invited to play again this year

Hoopster
Old 01-06-2004, 04:33 PM   #25
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Nobody thought to ask - Are these guys Indian? Is hoopster Indian? What about singing boy?

Akron? Pennsylvania?

Invited to play?

It all adds up to ....................

Doesn't it?
Kiwehnzii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2004, 04:50 PM   #26
Hoop Dancer

Yes, I said invited to play. .you know Asking a drum to come out to sing. ..I mean You can't just have a pow wow and expect to have drums. .Western Pennslyvania isn't the exact center of the native world. ..so if you wanna pow wow and have a good time, I would expect some one to ask drums to come. ..
Old 01-06-2004, 06:13 PM   #27
Tiny Tot Dancer

i think what he is getting at is that the correct terminology is asked to come sing

its not band know what i mean?
Old 01-07-2004, 12:41 PM   #28
*JiNgLe DaNcEr*

Jingling_In_Stars has a reputation beyond reputeJingling_In_Stars has a reputation beyond repute
Jingling_In_Stars has a reputation beyond reputeJingling_In_Stars has a reputation beyond reputeJingling_In_Stars has a reputation beyond reputeJingling_In_Stars has a reputation beyond reputeJingling_In_Stars has a reputation beyond reputeJingling_In_Stars has a reputation beyond reputeJingling_In_Stars has a reputation beyond reputeJingling_In_Stars has a reputation beyond reputeJingling_In_Stars has a reputation beyond reputeJingling_In_Stars has a reputation beyond reputeJingling_In_Stars has a reputation beyond reputeJingling_In_Stars has a reputation beyond reputeJingling_In_Stars has a reputation beyond reputeJingling_In_Stars has a reputation beyond reputeJingling_In_Stars has a reputation beyond reputeJingling_In_Stars has a reputation beyond reputeJingling_In_Stars has a reputation beyond reputeJingling_In_Stars has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,161.10
Do you go to De Un Da Ga every year?? I do, its my favorite dance(b-day weekend) anyways I wonder if I have ever seen you before. Well I'm pretty(positive) sure that Red Bird will be there again this year. I think that the guy who wrote the song is named Sid Dingman(sp*) but I'm not sure.
At some point, you have to make a decision. Boundaries don't keep other people out. They fence you in. Life is messy. That's how we're made. So, you can waste your lives drawing lines. Or you can live your life crossing them. . .
Jingling_In_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2004, 02:06 PM   #29
Hoop Dancer

I've been going there for I guess 6 years now with the exclusion of 1 year. ..

Hoopster
Old 01-08-2004, 03:10 PM   #30
Junior Dancer

Fancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 250.00
The Redbird Singers sing it and have been for a couple of years. The song says ''Oh the stars and stripes are waving over usa, Old glory flys today.''(but thats only part of the song) Yeah and Jingling is right, the song was wrote by Sid Dingman the former head singer of the Redbird Drum of Ohio. My dad (Curt Baltzer)is now the head singer, and Sid is the head singer for the Redbird Sr. in Florida.

and yes we were asked to come and sing again so if youre goin see you may.

Lindsay

Last edited by Fancy Maiden; 01-08-2004 at 03:14 PM..
Fancy Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2004, 10:36 AM   #31
Pow Wow Visitor

Yep, ShookShooken is correct. GrandPa Sid sings in the south and Curt Rocks in the north. The Red Birds sure have some cookin songs,most fo them are pretty old. Seeing as how I sing with them. I been workin alot latley but hope to rock with them again soon. Curt sing some good songs.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:28 AM   #32
Tiny Tot Dancer

FAT AL is an unknown quantity at this point
ShookShookin918, where is the tribe "Southern Drum" from?
FAT AL is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2004, 10:35 PM   #33
Justa Dreamer

Vision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute
Savings: 1.00
Ok...i read through this and tell you what i am really pissed. I am a Red Bird Singer. I sing this song. What right do you all have telling us how to sing our own song. who cares if we have engilish so do 49 songs and god knows we all sing them there. you guys insulting the flag song is slapping all the poeple that died or lost someone on 9/11 in the face and slapping the man who made it ( which happens to be highly respected in Ohio and Florida). I say shame on you all...lol and i know that sounds "corny and Cheesy" but it is true. by the way singerdad or whatever what lango's do you speak cause i am curous. Really i don't understand you people, right now i am ashamed to be an indian. If you heard this song, you would not be saying these things. this song is sang from our hearts and is almost and honoring song for those poeple who did pass on, on that tradic day. that's all i have to say right now...by the way my girlfriend(shookshookin) is not retarted and she sings with us. Thank you!!!!

Last edited by Vision_Dreamer; 01-09-2004 at 10:56 PM..
Vision_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2004, 12:19 AM   #34
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, VD!! You really told us. I'm speechless.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:17 AM   #35
Tiny Tot Dancer

that was interesting

well as far as i go myself i am not to warm and fuzzy about songs with english words in them at all even if it was just an intertribal

but as far as flag songs they deserve a lil better i think

anyhow there is a huge diffrence between flag songs and 49 songs so comparing the two is like water and oil

if your gonna joke around and be like i went to see my baby across the river and drowned(placed to an indian tune and beat) sure why not its fun and funny

perhaps likewise the same would be thought of as a flag song with english words?

just trying to help you see all sides

later
Old 01-10-2004, 12:07 PM   #36
Pow Wow Visitor

Well said vision dreamer,
I sing with the red birds then I can and am close to all of them. I know the story behind that flag song and truly believe that it came thru to Grandpa Sid for a good reason from "THE GREAT MYSTERY". I also believe that as my head singer Curt, is a veteran, I think that he is the one who has the final say so in whether or not we should sing a veterans song with english lyrics. People that are or have been in the service fought for the right to let us sing the songs that we choose. And besides that there is a big difference in a 49 song and a flag song. They should not be put in the same boat. English or not both songs are sung with different intentions and feelings. There is no joking with a flag song or a veterans song and any singer should know that. They are very serious and a great honor for a drum to be picked to sing them. They should be sung seriously.

Last edited by singingboy; 01-10-2004 at 12:12 PM..
Old 01-10-2004, 06:18 PM   #37
Tiny Tot Dancer

Unhappy

sorry just not buying it
Old 01-11-2004, 10:15 PM   #38
Pow Wow Visitor

powwowjudge is infamous around these parts
Singing boy you started out rocky, but came through with dignity for this Grandpa Sid and Veteran Curt. Kiwehnzii, you should be ashamed of yourself for questioning blood quatum--our medicine wheel has ALL colors on it. Tradish4you, I have heard and seen this Drum sing at many Eastern and southern powwows. When this song is sang the colorguard cries, and so do many other veterans. I haven't seen this from the drum you sing on yet.
Maybe you will someday get warm and fuzzy.
By the way if it is needed I will write my card number for you.
powwowjudge is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-11-2004, 10:49 PM   #39
Justa Dreamer

Vision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute
Savings: 1.00
Dave...why don't you just tell us we suck....lol...jeese
Vision_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-11-2004, 11:11 PM   #40
Oldfart

No, I am not ashamed. I often question the people from Pennsylvania and Ohio on whether they are Indian or not. Most that I run into are not.
Sponsored Links