Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Southern Singing OLD SCHOOL-Drum Groups! Northern & Southern OLD SCHOOL-Drum Groups! Northern & Southern

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-29-2005, 12:02 PM   #21
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,582.70
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by suthernwaterbird
.... Dosen't being around for at least 20 years earn enough respect to be called old school, because it is a totally different style of singing then todays contemp. singing. Plus I know a drum group out of oklahoma that was around a LITTLE bit longer THE ORIGINAL singers, basically all the grandpas. WHOME i have a feeling you know what I'm talking about, if you have ever watched tombstone.

There are so many singers who have been singing more than 20 years who also sing with organized drums. These same individuals also compose some of the most popular songs today.

"Old School" is a NON INDIAN term adopted by "some" Indian people. It is also a contemporary term to describe ANYTHING that is not current or a popular trend.

Sure. Pickup drum groups in Oklahoma have been on the road longer than 20 years. They were organized by ONE head singer who was hired by a powwow committee. But Organized Drum groups (with the same name and singers), in Oklahoma have not.

I have not seen Tombstone. Therefore, I have not seen the Original Singers that you are referring to. Did they travel and set up from powwow to powwow as an organized drum group?

Last edited by WhoMe; 12-29-2005 at 12:09 PM..
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-31-2005, 10:39 PM   #22
nobody

suthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 394.00
As a matter of fact Eagle Claw has been around since the 70s. And I'd say they were quite organized. And technically anything we say in english is a "NON-INDIAN" term. But I'm sure there is a Kiowa term that you would like to share. Meanwhile, I'm sticking to english. But there is a group that originated them all. Think back, a LITTLE longer then the 70s or 60s. If you don't know ask someone older. They'll be able to inform you of this group of singers. Organized too.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:27 PM   #23
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
As a matter of fact Eagle Claw has been around since the 70s. And I'd say they were quite organized. And technically anything we say in english is a "NON-INDIAN" term. But I'm sure there is a Kiowa term that you would like to share. Meanwhile, I'm sticking to english. But there is a group that originated them all. Think back, a LITTLE longer then the 70s or 60s. If you don't know ask someone older. They'll be able to inform you of this group of singers. Organized too.

swbird,

'siyo!

I don't think (Comanche) Eagle Claw Singers began in the 70's. I believe they formed in the 80's.

Why ask someone older? They may not even know or care. I'll ask some of the original members (Jr. Hendrix, Tduheen, Darryl Cable) for clarification. *I've known them since they used to sing 49 at the tombstone *L

Technically, not all English is NonIndian. Many Indian words have been adopted into the (American) English language that we use today as a part of geography, foods, weather, tribes and individuals.

There is also an group called the Eagle Claw Singers from Kakacatoose Reserve in Saskatchewan.

Last edited by WhoMe; 01-04-2006 at 04:28 PM..
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2006, 10:00 PM   #24
nobody

suthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 394.00
I know for a fact eagle claw was around in the 70's but I'm not going to go there with you. Let's just say go ahead and ask them. See the answer you get, because maybe you'll learn somthing.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:05 PM   #25
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Quote:
I know for a fact eagle claw was around in the 70's but I'm not going to go there with you. Let's just say go ahead and ask them. See the answer you get, because maybe you'll learn somthing.

*L Nada Problemo!
Old 01-09-2006, 05:00 PM   #26
Fat Singer

billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Going thru my old tapes Id agree with SINGERDAD with Porcupine, Mandaree and Badlands.

Id add Fort Kipp, Old Agency, Oglala, Red Leaf, (pretty much name any town or area in Pine Ridge or Rosebud and you have an old drum name).

As for Porcupine and Redleaf, they are still kicking around or at least a version of them. Severt from Porcupine is on the eastcoast now and every now and them throws together a drum. Melvin is still out west and I hear is also Porcupine (correct me if Im wrong) so its like Porcupine East and Porcupine West. Either way, Severt and Melvins voices both ID a drum as porcupine.

Red Leaf, Howard is in NM and sings as HEARTBEAT, Pat is in Rosebud and sings with some old timers and new kids as Red Leaf still. Again, you know both of their voices as Red Leaf.
billyjoejimbob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links