Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Southern Singing Old Style Flag Song Old Style Flag Song

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2007, 04:48 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Elli is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 1.00
Old Style Flag Song

Looking for The Flag Song which starts a pow-wow,gathering,give-away,Honor Dance, Gourd Dance. I remember hearing it in Ok. I think mostly a Kiowa song. just wanted to know if anybody knows where I might hear it or get a copy of it (cd). I don't know if it is a Cozad song I think all drums have their version of it. Let me know Elli
Elli is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-08-2007, 04:54 PM   #2
Holy Indian Taco Batman!

hobbs49 has a reputation beyond repute
hobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 49.99
There are many flag songs out there. If you're interested specifically in the Kiowa flag song (you referenced that one), then I'd suggest you can do a Google search on "Kiowa Flag Song" You'll get hits from both CD's and even YouTube. If you're interested in another flag song, just type it in and there might be hits for that as well.

Good luck!

BTW, Elli, it is possible that there is even more than one flag song for a tribe. So what I call the Kiowa Flag Song above may or may not be totally true, I probably should have said, "a Kiowa flag song" not "the Kiowa flag song.

Last edited by hobbs49; 08-08-2007 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: Clarifying.
hobbs49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-08-2007, 05:59 PM   #3
Taskahoi Atsuti

LSS has a reputation beyond repute
LSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 278.94
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs49 View Post
There are many flag songs out there. If you're interested specifically in the Kiowa flag song (you referenced that one), then I'd suggest you can do a Google search on "Kiowa Flag Song" You'll get hits from both CD's and even YouTube. If you're interested in another flag song, just type it in and there might be hits for that as well.

Good luck!

BTW, Elli, it is possible that there is even more than one flag song for a tribe. So what I call the Kiowa Flag Song above may or may not be totally true, I probably should have said, "a Kiowa flag song" not "the Kiowa flag song.
I think you have given a very good answer here HOBBS!
To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!
LSS is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2007, 01:25 PM   #4
Pow Wow Visitor

Thanks

Thank you for the response on The Flag Song..its great to know some people do read and answer. Elli
Old 08-09-2007, 04:36 PM   #5
Pow Wow Visitor

rs8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Savings: 0.00
the orginal Flag song is a Ponca heduska song.
rs8 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2007, 05:07 PM   #6
Pow Wow Visitor

Rs8

Howdy thanks for the info....do you know if that version of the Flag Song is recorded? What is Heduska? Elli
Old 08-09-2007, 06:40 PM   #7
Pow Wow Visitor

Heduska is the Ponca Warrior society, that song is recorded on a bunch of cds, and tapes. i think if you go to any of the stores that have tribal music. Also I am pretty sure Yellowhammer has a couple of cds that have the song on it also.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:36 PM   #8
Pow Wow Visitor

Rs8

I'll give that a try thanks...Its kinda hard to find cd around here
Old 08-10-2007, 01:57 AM   #9
Pow Wow Visitor

Try googleing "canyon records" in phoenix, or "drumbeat indian crafts" also phoenix, AZ.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:58 PM   #10
Blacksmith

Gledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond repute
Gledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,702.79
Confusing. The first song sung at a Ponca hethuska is one that nobody dances to. The dancers sit it out. The words say to "behold the white flag". However, the song is so ancient, I've not met anybody who knows exactly what that white flag is. It is thought that a white flag was erected at the area where the dance was to be held or in front of the Nudahonga's lodge, so that the villagers knew a hethuska was coming up. In a sense, this could be called a flag song. But I believe Charlie Waters made the Ponca flag song that is sung at powwows.

Many Plains tribes have flag songs, mostly made in the 20th century. The Lakota/Dakota have a southern and northern flag song. There is a Kiowa flag song that is quite popular at powwows; we hear it often in New Mexico. I suspect that many of the flag songs were made during major 20th century wars as a sort of homecoming for the troops.
Gledanh Zhinga is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links