Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Southern Singing a question for those who may know more a question for those who may know more

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2006, 12:53 AM   #1
Illinois Cherokee

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
DARYL P has a reputation beyond reputeDARYL P has a reputation beyond reputeDARYL P has a reputation beyond reputeDARYL P has a reputation beyond reputeDARYL P has a reputation beyond reputeDARYL P has a reputation beyond reputeDARYL P has a reputation beyond reputeDARYL P has a reputation beyond reputeDARYL P has a reputation beyond reputeDARYL P has a reputation beyond reputeDARYL P has a reputation beyond reputeDARYL P has a reputation beyond reputeDARYL P has a reputation beyond reputeDARYL P has a reputation beyond reputeDARYL P has a reputation beyond reputeDARYL P has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
a question for those who may know more

I am a singer in a small but growing southern drum. I like to know what's right. At a recent small powwow the host drum, which seemed very good and to know what it was doing, used as a flag song something that troubled me. I am sure everyone knows Jack Anques (I'm not sure how his name is spelled) prayer song, the one which says god gave us pity even tho he didn't have to, you know, Dawk E dade o ti do ( I won't write out the rest).
Well, the drum used the vocables but took out the words and used it as a flag song!
Am I missing something here?
DARYL P is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2006, 08:53 PM   #2
Taskahoi Atsuti

LSS has a reputation beyond repute
LSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 278.94
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARYL P
I am a singer in a small but growing southern drum. I like to know what's right. At a recent small powwow the host drum, which seemed very good and to know what it was doing, used as a flag song something that troubled me. I am sure everyone knows Jack Anques (I'm not sure how his name is spelled) prayer song, the one which says god gave us pity even tho he didn't have to, you know, Dawk E dade o ti do ( I won't write out the rest).
Well, the drum used the vocables but took out the words and used it as a flag song!
Hmmmmm!

I've gotta couple of questions for you. First of all...it would be interesting to know where this pow wow was/is and who the drum was. I'm wondering if any of those on that drum were Kiowa (and of the Anquoe family). Either way, I am not a liberty to say what the deal is on that situation.

I would dare say the best people from here on the discussion board to speak with are kiowaboy and or kiowacaptive. They could probably offer you some specific help.

Shoot these guys a PM and let them know that I directed you to them. Hopefully they'll respond fairly quick.

LSS
To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!
LSS is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2006, 02:49 PM   #3
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,582.70
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARYL P

Uh, no Kiowa other than the late Anquoe you speak of, uses the word Daw'kee (God), in powwow songs.

There are two Kiowa flag songs. One that is well known and one that belongs to the Kiowa war mothers.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:40 PM   #4
Junior Dancer

park has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,308.63
Listen to WhoMe on both points

That prayer song you refer to is highly controversial for a number of reasons that I'm not going to go into. Singing it without the words doesn't make it a flag song, or any other kind of song for that matter.

Even though the War Mothers' Flag Song is available on at least one commercial recording (by the Anquoe family), it should only be sung, in my experience and opinion, at the appropriate time and place. Any ol' powwow doesn't count.
park is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2006, 10:55 PM   #5
Taskahoi Atsuti

LSS has a reputation beyond repute
LSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 278.94
Savings: 1.00
Here is something else to kick around as well....

Now, I don't know all the "ins & outs" on that song...I know of it. But, perhaps the individuals who sang that song may have been a member of, or related to, the Anquoe Family. Another thought is that the song was used for during a time the drum chose to, for the lack of a better term/phrase "memorialize", the late Anquoe.

Who know! (And I don't mean WhoMe knows...lol...)

My only suggestion if you really wanted to know...is to ask those gentlemen who sang that song...in the right way!

But, as a word of caution,...listen to the above statements...just because you hear it on a recording or someone else singing it does not mean that it is ok for you to sing it. Make sure you have somewhat of an understanding of the song first and foremost.

I hope this helps.
To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!
LSS is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links