Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Southern Singing Recommendations for drumsticks Recommendations for drumsticks

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-26-2009, 08:17 PM   #21
LBGOOD2U

Items DevilPresentPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
lbgood has a reputation beyond repute
lbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,007.25
Savings: 0.00
Wink

Last edited by lbgood; 07-30-2009 at 03:22 AM..
lbgood is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2009, 04:07 PM   #22
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSS View Post
Yep...thick rings of tape around the rod. Looks "cork-like".

I've actually got some sticks I'm in the process of making now. I'll see what I can do to take some pictures and post them here (if I can figure out the posting part).
COOL! Thanks. I think I know what you're talking about now. I tend to make mine cattail shaped, but should be able to get a cork shape under there.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:03 PM   #23
Taskahoi Atsuti

LSS has a reputation beyond repute
LSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 278.94
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo_rose View Post
COOL! Thanks. I think I know what you're talking about now. I tend to make mine cattail shaped, but should be able to get a cork shape under there.
Yeah...its not too hard. If you can make it "cattail" in shape, you can do the "cork" thingy too. Just have to remember, your first "button" is the largest and at the top of your stick. The remainder of the buttons get smaller and smaller.
To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!
LSS is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2009, 01:16 PM   #24
Taskahoi Atsuti

LSS has a reputation beyond repute
LSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 278.94
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSS View Post
Yeah...its not too hard. If you can make it "cattail" in shape, you can do the "cork" thingy too. Just have to remember, your first "button" is the largest and at the top of your stick. The remainder of the buttons get smaller and smaller.
Hey...I had a moment so I "cursored around" until I was able to create a visual.

Hope it helps.

LSS
Attached Files
File Type: doc drum sticks.doc (24.0 KB, 80 views)
To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!
LSS is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2009, 02:58 PM   #25
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
Thanks for the pic! It does help cuz I was not envisioning such a large button.

Looks great though and I can't wait to try it.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:03 PM   #26
Tiny Tot Dancer

cconn9c has much to be proud ofcconn9c has much to be proud ofcconn9c has much to be proud ofcconn9c has much to be proud ofcconn9c has much to be proud ofcconn9c has much to be proud ofcconn9c has much to be proud ofcconn9c has much to be proud of
Credits: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo_rose View Post
Thanks for the pic! It does help cuz I was not envisioning such a large button.

Looks great though and I can't wait to try it.

just curious but i never tried it, but how do you put a spiral on the handle?
cconn9c is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-30-2009, 08:36 AM   #27
Insert Image Here

SmokeEater has a reputation beyond repute
SmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 261.80
Quote:
Originally Posted by cconn9c View Post
just curious but i never tried it, but how do you put a spiral on the handle?
After you get your handle right, wrap it with heavy gauge wire, then cover it with leather. Personally I don't like this, but I've covered axe handles this way.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:07 PM   #28
Singer/ Dancer

RedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond repute
RedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 369.00
Ok, I'll bite...

Here's how I make my drumsticks, and they work pretty well.

I first get either the fiberglass reflector rods from Lowes or the bicycle flags from wally world if I want the shaft more flexible.

I also get about 1/2 inch green foam from Jo-Ann Fabrics... I cut a strip straight across about 6 1/2 inches, and trim off a piece 8 inches that I use to make the handle, and use the rest for the head. I get one of those 4 packs of super glue from wally world and superglue the foam securely to the rod and wrap it supergluing every so often as I go. When it comes to the head, I start at 6 1/2 inches and taper down to about 5 inches this gives it a pretty descent taper from the rod back. Then I use 2 inch by inch squares on the ends to make sure the rod won't poke through, then use electrical tape to compress the foam. Then I cover the head and handle in leather and presto... a drum stick. I like using a shaft that's 23 inches long, it works well for what we need. you can get 2 sticks out of a reflector rod and 3 out of a bicycle flag that way.

Just my 49 cents worth! We all have our own ways of making sticks, this is just what I've found works for me.

Paselo~