Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Southern Singing Rushed Honor Beats Rushed Honor Beats

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-17-2006, 04:17 PM   #21
Fat Singer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Iron Eagle
If you do alot of traveling and attend events with all kinds of drums then make sure you get aquainted with the various styles of singing and drumming.
The dancers have to 'get acquainted with' the different northern and southern styles?

Wouldnt that just INFORCE the drums that are doing it wrong and the drums that are doing it "not right"?

If everyone has to learn how to dance to a drum that is doing things wrong, that drum is gonna see everyone dancing to them and no oneis complaining and they will think they are not doing anything wrong.

I mentioned in another thread that at a powwow on a rez this past summer I witnessed an NDN drum sing a song for the junior fancy girls and boys that was way to slow and monotonous. The MC cut them off and reprimanded them. This was after calling for second songs for 5 or 6 other drums that didnt cut it. He would be nice about it and say that the judges wanted one more song, but everyone knew what was meant.

EVERYONE wants to sing nowadays. The problem is that they think they know a few songs so they can get a group of friends and scream a little and VOILA, they are a powwow drum.
Really smart people who think they are smart.

Last edited by billyjoejimbob; 09-17-2006 at 04:22 PM..
billyjoejimbob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2006, 03:57 PM   #22
Dtwosnakes

Dtwosnakes has a reputation beyond reputeDtwosnakes has a reputation beyond reputeDtwosnakes has a reputation beyond reputeDtwosnakes has a reputation beyond reputeDtwosnakes has a reputation beyond reputeDtwosnakes has a reputation beyond reputeDtwosnakes has a reputation beyond reputeDtwosnakes has a reputation beyond reputeDtwosnakes has a reputation beyond reputeDtwosnakes has a reputation beyond reputeDtwosnakes has a reputation beyond reputeDtwosnakes has a reputation beyond reputeDtwosnakes has a reputation beyond reputeDtwosnakes has a reputation beyond reputeDtwosnakes has a reputation beyond reputeDtwosnakes has a reputation beyond reputeDtwosnakes has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Having been both a dancer and a singer, I have found that I try to listen to everything told to me, and to what people say when they dance to the drum I sit on.
Parctice does help, but if you practice the songs in the wrong way, you will still be doing it wrong. If you have someone tell you or lead you in what might be the right direction, then you practice that way, you will make a better drum, and people will enjoy dancing to your drum. I know I have listened to someone tell us about a song we did, that it didn't flow right, just watch the dancers, and the way they are moving, but no one else listened and they did the song the way they wanted and have to this day.Sorry about that, just adding my input on the matter, don't mean to be long winded.
Dtwosnakes is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-06-2007, 03:41 PM   #23
Blacksmith

Gledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond repute
Gledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,702.79
I heard this saying about practice. "Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect."
Gledanh Zhinga is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links