PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Southern Singing (http://forums.powwows.com/f19/)
-   -   Singer of non native origin (http://forums.powwows.com/f19/singer-non-native-origin-31801/)

TacO5000 02-14-2006 12:51 AM

Singer of non native origin
 
What do you think you you see non native singers?

I have seen some and they didn't have the feel of an NDN singer lack the soul... what do ya think bout that? is it cool if they can jam? Have you seen some good ones?

Brackett481 02-14-2006 10:06 AM

Non-Native Singers
 
I have heard a few really good white guys. The ones I have heard really do understand and sing from the heart. I have also heard those groups out-there who just sing to sing. I guess it just depends on who it is.

Kiwehnzii 02-14-2006 10:12 AM

It's good to toot your own horn, isn't it Brack.

btcsinger 02-14-2006 10:37 AM

lol

WhoMe 02-14-2006 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TacO5000
What do you think you you see non native singers?

I have seen some and they didn't have the feel of an NDN singer lack the soul... what do ya think bout that? is it cool if they can jam? Have you seen some good ones?

Taco,

We have one guy from the midwest who we pick-up when we head east. This guy is not Indian. He has blonde hair but can pack a whollup! He's my bro.

He has sung with our drum group and represented well at the powwow in LeRoy, Illinois, that you and I were at. He has also sung with us at the Mohegan Sun Powwow CT, Hinkley MN, Winnipeg MAN, U of Michigan powwow and Memphis TN and a bunch of smaller dances.

My bro is good and doesn't mess up, when its time to produce.

Kiwehnzii 02-14-2006 12:08 PM

This guy name of Joe Liles who used to live in Minnesota was pretty good.

I think he lives in N. or S. Carolina now.

Paul G 02-14-2006 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwehnzii
This guy name of Joe Liles who used to live in Minnesota was pretty good.

I think he lives in N. or S. Carolina now.

He is singing with Southern Sun now.

Joe's Dad 02-14-2006 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwehnzii
This guy name of Joe Liles who used to live in Minnesota was pretty good.

I think he lives in N. or S. Carolina now.

He helps put on the North Carolina School of science and Math powwow in Feb. Met Joe about 18 yrs. ago. good guy

Brackett481 02-14-2006 05:58 PM

not cool
 
You know, I was not talking about myself this time guys. Just because I am white does not mean every comment about white people pertains to me. There other white guys around here.

Kiwehnzii 02-14-2006 06:04 PM

Sorry guy, I forgot.

you're from the Cherokee tribe of Northeast Alabama.

Brackett481 02-14-2006 06:42 PM

What do you have against me? I mean come on guys, IS it because I am White?

billyjoejimbob 02-14-2006 06:50 PM

no...its cause your from Alabama! :thumbsup:

Brackett481 02-14-2006 06:54 PM

Oh, OK, Why didnt you say so to begin with.

Not that I don't like Alabama, but hey, I guess there has to be something to hate me for...at least you only chose my home state...lol

danbear 02-14-2006 07:10 PM

abalama
 
ahee yuk im frum abbalama 2 zat meen yall hate me 2 a hee yuk yuk lol :star: :star: :star: :star:

nativesweetie77 02-15-2006 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danbear
ahee yuk im frum abbalama 2 zat meen yall hate me 2 a hee yuk yuk lol :star: :star: :star: :star:

Ok, Dan You've been hanging around us 2 long. Lol. i think You've finally lost it.
Seriously though. I've met a lot of non- natives out on the circuit who are really great singers and drummers. It's not about % it's about what is in your heart. I don't care if you're full blood. If your heart is not in what you're doing then you are not going to sound as good.Hopefully we are all there for the same reasons no matter how much native blood we do or don't have.

Wojapi4Me 02-15-2006 10:20 AM

I've gone to two pow wows in Alabama, and they were the worst bunch of crap I've ever seen LOL :hysterica I'll never go back...I'm not just talking about their pow wows...I mean the whole state...couldn't pay me...too redneck...too backward...too confederate flaggy LOL Yeah, Alabama sucks! :gun_band: :us-alabam

Brackett481 02-15-2006 11:07 AM

Well, At least there is not any prejudice here at powwows.com. A place where natives and like-minded white people can get together and talk about dancing, singing and just have a gret time living and learning.

suthernwaterbird 02-15-2006 11:17 AM

Quote:

I've gone to two pow wows in Alabama, and they were the worst bunch of crap I've ever seen LOL I'll never go back...I'm not just talking about their pow wows...I mean the whole state...couldn't pay me...too redneck...too backward...too confederate flaggy LOL Yeah, Alabama sucks!
:lol:
:hysterica
dam guy you're cold blooded. lol. That's how you feel though. But see I know these alabama guyz and there ok. but I can't stand how the boyscouts have all those rules. It's ridiculous. Everytime they leave the drum you have to SIGN IN AND OUT? What kinda bs is that? I mean you guyz can't expect to get any respect with that. Just get used to it, because as long as your with that boyscout stuff, yall are gonna get ragged. That's just the way it is. And maybe a couple in the group got a voice, but yall still got a long way to go, before people will start calling you ndn. And it's not gonna happen while you have a dam badge on your shirt...I'm just sayin, I'm not that dark myself, but I have been NdN for the last 17 years. And it's takin me this long to earn what I got and that ain't much. So I think yall need to grow up with this boyscout bs. I think it's rather immature myself. But this aint an attack, so don't come back with a defense.

Wojapi4Me 02-15-2006 11:19 AM

I'm not prejudice...I just hate Alabama LOL Missouri's no picnic either...I try to be an equal opportunity offender :hysterica

Actually, I think there's a pretty good flow of conversation and information here. Just don't be too thin-skinned. :thumbsup:

suthernwaterbird 02-15-2006 11:49 AM

Hell my mom left the powwow and drove all the way to atlanta for labor so she wouldn't have my lil bro in alabama.

Paul G 02-15-2006 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suthernwaterbird
Hell my mom left the powwow and drove all the way to atlanta for labor so she wouldn't have my lil bro in alabama.

Now that's funny!!

WhoMe 02-15-2006 12:54 PM

Hey,

Where does Drew and Darsh fit into this thread?

Has anybody ever been.... Darshed? *L

danbear 02-15-2006 02:22 PM

Lol Too Funny Too Funny
 
SINGERDAD..."I'm not prejudice...I just hate Alabama LOL Missouri's no picnic either...I try to be an equal opportunity offender

Actually, I think there's a pretty good flow of conversation and information here. Just don't be too thin-skinned."

AMEN!

SUTHERNWATERBIRD..."Hell my mom left the powwow and drove all the way to atlanta for labor so she wouldn't have my lil bro in alabama."

I DONT BLAME HER I'M READY TO GO BACK TO MISSISSIPPI(which is not much better but, its home)

billyjoejimbob 02-15-2006 04:34 PM

Damn SINGERDAD, tell us how you REALLY feel.

I tend to hate everyone for one reason or another. Everyone I know has done something that caused me to dislike them, but I deal with it. Some more than others. They probably think the same of me, so I dont care.

As for Alabama, if you have 2 teeth by choice and never made it thru high school and YEE HAW is in your vocabulary... Im gonna hate ya. :thumbsup:

TacO5000 02-15-2006 07:34 PM

You are right I have to give it to that Taw-Koy he blended in with ya and sung purdy well. How did he start singing with ya?

Nother question what happend to yall website?

firestarjosh 02-16-2006 12:18 AM

so where deos it matter where we are from??
 
hey just because we are from alabama deos not mean we can not sing !! i do not know why we have such a bad wrap but some of us are better than you guys think

WhoMe 02-16-2006 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TacO5000
You are right I have to give it to that Taw-Koy he blended in with ya and sung purdy well. How did he start singing with ya?

Nother question what happend to yall website?


Taco,

That Taw-Koy is a pbahbee of my cousin. The three of us used to sing 49 together at Stroud. That's where I discovered he had a voice. I help him out with songs so he sings them correctly.

Now he has his own drum group and host drums at powwows in his area.

I just checked our website. Thanks for notifying me it is down. I will contact our webmaster.

Wojapi4Me 02-16-2006 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firestarjosh
hey just because we are from alabama deos not mean we can not sing !! i do not know why we have such a bad wrap but some of us are better than you guys think

You guys get a bad rap probably because the pow wows in your state are so abysmal that most people assume that there isn't any talent there. I know I didn't see any when I was there. The drums I heard were HORRIBLE!! If you guys are good, then you should travel and get out of the state and make the rest of us aware of it. I'm not saying there isn't anyone in the state who can sing. I'm just saying I haven't heard anyone in the state who can sing.

danbear 02-16-2006 01:50 PM

which ones
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Singerdad
You guys get a bad rap probably because the pow wows in your state are so abysmal that most people assume that there isn't any talent there. I know I didn't see any when I was there. The drums I heard were HORRIBLE!! If you guys are good, then you should travel and get out of the state and make the rest of us aware of it. I'm not saying there isn't anyone in the state who can sing. I'm just saying I haven't heard anyone in the state who can sing.


what drums have you heard from our area... just curious

Wojapi4Me 02-16-2006 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danbear
what drums have you heard from our area... just curious

I don't like publically trashing guys who really haven't done anything wrong other than being horrible singers so I'll PM you this information...that goes for anyone else interested. LOL

Kiwehnzii 02-16-2006 02:51 PM

I'll just take your word for it.

WhoMe 02-16-2006 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Singerdad
If you guys are good, then you should travel and get out of the state and make the rest of us aware of it.


Singerdad,

I can see you're just calling it, as you see it.

I whole heartedly agree.

If you Alabama guys keep tootin' your own horns....


PROVE IT!!!


:devil2:

LSS 02-16-2006 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Singerdad
You guys get a bad rap probably because the pow wows in your state are so abysmal that most people assume that there isn't any talent there. I know I didn't see any when I was there. The drums I heard were HORRIBLE!! If you guys are good, then you should travel and get out of the state and make the rest of us aware of it. I'm not saying there isn't anyone in the state who can sing. I'm just saying I haven't heard anyone in the state who can sing.

I'm glad you said this....it's very true. A lot of this happened with NC and the singers it has produced; Native & Non-Native.

Even if you can't get out of the state, or areas you are in, look for opportunities that come close. For me, singing in DC this past year was an excellent opportunity for me.

trapstar99 02-16-2006 07:58 PM

hey
the boyscouts ain't bad. and some of the people who sits with them arent boyscouts. like me ive been powwowing since i was a little kid, well young not little, lol. I just help them out bc there are a few who are cool guys. then others i cant stand. Yeah i agree with suthernwaterbird, its hard for them to get any respect, but you should get to know them first. they have fun. there are the hard headed ones in the group who never listens to anything you tell them. But in this case people think less of everybody. and yes alabama sucks. peace up Atown down. it's just how we do in the A. We stay toooooo hot.

firestarjosh 02-16-2006 11:26 PM

we are not ootin our horns just tired of people downing alabama

Kiwehnzii 02-16-2006 11:58 PM

Does any of you Alabamians ever have a banjo on your knee?

danbear 02-17-2006 02:20 PM

sometimes
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwehnzii
Does any of you Alabamians ever have a banjo on your knee?

well sometimes when i get lonely i bust out the banjo and play the them from deliverance and me and my hounddog sing the night away.

nativesweetie77 02-17-2006 06:59 PM

Gee Dan, I didn't know you had a hound dog or a banjo. you should really bring them to pow wow sometime. That might really liven up our crappy Alabama pow wows.

Oh yeah Mom says delieverence didn't take place in Alabama so you'll have to play something else. She suggests something by Skynard. Lol. Ask Josh he'll help ya sing Free Bird.

debbieyd 02-17-2006 07:42 PM

? ? ?
 
Some non-Indians can really shake it just as good as a full-blood, but as for singing, that remains to be heard yet I guess.

BrownHornet 02-21-2006 10:24 PM

Havent posted here in a few years. Surprised my name is still tossed around! Dont worry, ive all but quit singing.

Brown Hornet


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright 2006, PowWows.com, LLC