• 1 Post By running_with_buffs
  • 2 Post By Zeke
  • 1 Post By xTekno
  • 1 Post By xTekno
  • 2 Post By wardancer
  • 1 Post By Zeke

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Southern Singing song making song making

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #1
Junior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
running_with_buffs has a reputation beyond repute
running_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,080.18
Savings: 0.00
song making

just somthing i have been thinking about, thought new thread would be nice. What do you southern singers think of all these new songs out? what about composing songs for everybody? are these new songs just made to take up space on a cd? do all these people who are getting songs nowadays desrving of them? just some questions that go threw my mind. I think back to long ago when them old guys used to make songs for people these people that got songs did great things like for instance was war heros. or did somthing really great for there own tribal community like giving without thinking of themselves first. but seems today everybody getting songs. another thing is composing them long ago it was just old men that composed songs nowadays i see where teenagers make songs and give them away. How can you give something away when you havnt even lived life yet or even know what kinda person you gonna be because you havent lived life yet. i dont know just things i wonder about.and these new songs man if you just got a center drum for a three or four day powwow you cant sing them new songs all weekend long you will be finished day one or two. i think them old guys was smart the way they used to compose songs they songs they composed you could sing those for a three or four day dance and be just dine not even horse on sunday. i dont no just thinking..lol interested in other peoples thoughts
wardancer and Spiritflight like this.
running_with_buffs is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 10,565.67
Lightbulb

Times have changed. A long time ago a man earned his way to the big drum. For the most part respected elders held a spot at the drum and were respected for their drum knowledge.

Not so anymore. Drums today are dominated by singers under 40. Young people have become the rockstars of the powwow world complete with groupies! *L They now set new standards for our next generation to conform to. This changes the whole dynamics of powwow culture.

Is this a good thing?

It all depends on who is doing the answering.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
Junior Dancer

running_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond repute
thats exactly what i was referring to whome, when did it become a rock star status for a singer? when did it change from humble sevant of the people to rockstar? dont get me wrong these new young drum groups can sing! but yeah its more for glory i think now than just singing for the people
windanncer likes this.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
Self-Righteous Injun

Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 17,915.80
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post
Times have changed. A long time ago a man earned his way to the big drum. For the most part respected elders held a spot at the drum and were respected for their drum knowledge.

Not so anymore. Drums today are dominated by singers under 40. Young people have become the rockstars of the powwow world complete with groupies! *L They now set new standards for our next generation to conform to. This changes the whole dynamics of powwow culture.

Is this a good thing?

It all depends on who is doing the answering.
I am not a singer but when I was a child I often thought "when will I be old enough to sit at the big drum?"

By the time I was invited out, it wasn't the drum I dreamed of as a child and I did not care for it.

1. Folks who knew me wondered where I'd been for twenty years.
2. Folks who didn't wondered who the old guy was.

I didn't bail at break but remained the whole session -- and didn't wander around -- because that is the etiquette I knew wearing long pants in the hot sun.

They thought I was an idiot as they wore Adidas shorts and gangsta' angled baseball caps.

I did learn a lesson, though. As inherently progressive as I am, there is a strain of Oklahoma roots that I'll never grow out of as I wouldn't even think of going to the drum in shorts.

Ratty jeans and a t-shirt wearing Keen sandals or sunglasses while fancy dancing? SURE.

But nylon shorts?

Eff that.

Jesus, I guess I am a traditionalist...
windanncer and Spiritflight like this.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
Junior Dancer

@ zeke

you know how indians are they watch everything and everybody, that trip to the drum you talking about, staying out there not getting up wearing jeans, somebody noticed and thought that guys got it or maybe you even put a smile on somebodies face for not getting up for the entire day and nite. and they will always remeber you and how you acted that day, you might even here about years from now. but this just not for you its for everybody somebodies always watching you, not judging so to say just watching to see how everybody conducts themselves.
windanncer likes this.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
Standing Rock

Items PresentDevilElephant
Credits: 83,998.92
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
As Sheldon Sundown puts it: An elder once told me! “there is no such thing called a new song only a reborn one, as our songs come from mother earth, and were and still are in the winds. Sometimes a singer will catch the song flying by and finish it, by singing it.”
windanncer likes this.
xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #7
Junior Dancer

at techno what tribe is this gentleman?
windanncer likes this.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:34 PM   #8
Standing Rock

Items PresentDevilElephant
Credits: 83,998.92
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by running_with_buffs View Post
at techno what tribe is this gentleman?
Seneca Nation
windanncer likes this.
xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #9
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 47,126.25
Quote:
Originally Posted by running_with_buffs View Post
they will always remember you and how you acted that day, you might even here about years from now. but this just not for you its for everybody somebodies always watching you, not judging so to say just watching to see how everybody conducts themselves.
Years ago I went to see my Uncle Alfritch and he says"Hey,I heard you danced over at such and such .......said you did real good....."
That was some dance I'd went to 3-4 years before ! I was thinkin' , man I haven't seen him in 7-8 years and he always seems to know where I'm at and what I'm doin' !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #10
Self-Righteous Injun

Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 17,915.80
Some years back, I was in what could loosely be called a Native leadership position. Overall, I accomplished my goals but couldn't change a culture rooted in the 1960s. I try not to think about it much anymore but, nearly universally, the input I receive during a blue moon is that "you were ten years too early."

So, yes, folks do pay attention and will let you know what they felt -- even if it wasn't said then -- when they perceive the time to be right.

I'm glad I sweated in jeans in the hot sun, even if I never carry a chair out to the drum again: it's the way I was taught.
windanncer likes this.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links