PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Southern Singing (http://forums.powwows.com/f19/)
-   -   Southern Style Dance/Song Forms (http://forums.powwows.com/f19/southern-style-dance-song-forms-28069/)

Niwiwan2005 07-19-2005 11:06 AM

Southern Style Dance/Song Forms

To clarify for the youth on our drum, what are the types of songs/dances that a southern style drum will normally be asked to sing for? The following is what we've seen so far on our travels:

Inter-tribals, War Dances, Memorial Songs, War Mother Songs, Veteran Songs, Sneak-ups, Ruffle Songs, Stop 'n' Go Trick songs, Men's straight songs, Trot Songs, Horse Stealing Songs, Grass Dance-both straight/Chicken Dance, Men's Fancy Feather, Women's Buckskin, Women's Cloth, Round Dances, Jingle Dress-both Straight song & Side-steps, Fancy Shawl--both straight/ Crow-hop songs, Honor Songs, Flag/Victory Songs, Traveling Songs, and of course Grand Entry songs....Did we miss any major types?

Please add any we need to know about!!! Thank-you!

WhoMe 07-19-2005 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niwiwan2005
To clarify for the youth on our drum, what are the types of songs/dances that a southern style drum will normally be asked to sing for? The following is what we've seen so far on our travels:

Inter-tribals, War Dances, Memorial Songs, War Mother Songs, Veteran Songs, Sneak-ups, Ruffle Songs, Stop 'n' Go Trick songs, Men's straight songs, Trot Songs, Horse Stealing Songs, Grass Dance-both straight/Chicken Dance, Men's Fancy Feather, Women's Buckskin, Women's Cloth, Round Dances, Jingle Dress-both Straight song & Side-steps, Fancy Shawl--both straight/ Crow-hop songs, Honor Songs, Flag/Victory Songs, Traveling Songs, and of course Grand Entry songs....Did we miss any major types?

Please add any we need to know about!!! Thank-you!

Niwiwan,

If you go south to sing, you will be asked to sing songs that are predominately southern.

If you travel to northern states and Canadian powwows, you will be asked to sing whatever you are in line to sing next - in drum rotation.

I think you have a good list.

If you call yourself a southern drum you will be asked to have some good fancy dance songs. Consider making some of your own compositions to fit this category. The drum I mainly sing with has 7 fancy dance songs that are their own compositions.
We have used all 7 at some 3-day powwows.

Niwiwan2005 07-20-2005 11:07 AM

Thanks for the Help/comments..

WhoMe:

My young singers wanted me to say thanks for the comments and the sage advice. I too echo their sentiments--thanks!

Since I've starting posting and reading posts on pow-wows. com, I come to welcome certain people's opinions and advice.

WhoMe, your views are ones I welcome most. Thank-you for the information. Incidently, my young singers enjoy reading your posts as well..keep up the good work!!!

Peace....Niwiwan.

suthernwaterbird 07-20-2005 09:30 PM

For the guy in the other thread addressing the boy scout negativley learn from this. THIS is how your supposed react to this type of question. Furthermore, you left out a few special songs such as, Duck n dive (which the traditional dancers reinact themselves in battle dodging the cannons and gunfire at 2 significant beats.)
and double beat (which is an old style crow hop also originating from the crows) Anyone with greater knowledge please correct me where I'm wrong..

TacO5000 07-21-2005 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suthernwaterbird
For the guy in the other thread addressing the boy scout negativley learn from this. THIS is how your supposed react to this type of question. Furthermore, you left out a few special songs such as, Duck n dive (which the traditional dancers reinact themselves in battle dodging the cannons and gunfire at 2 significant beats.)
and double beat (which is an old style crow hop also originating from the crows) Anyone with greater knowledge please correct me where I'm wrong..

suthernwaterbird I think this guy was asking about southern style songs..... the ones you just named are northen.....

suthernwaterbird 07-21-2005 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NDNTacO49
suthernwaterbird I think this guy was asking about southern style songs..... the ones you just named are northen.....

o yea... SHUT UP! lol. I think its important for him to know..........LOL

LSS 07-21-2005 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhoMe
Niwiwan,

If you go south to sing, you will be asked to sing songs that are predominately southern.

If you travel to northern states and Canadian powwows, you will be asked to sing whatever you are in line to sing next - in drum rotation.

I think you have a good list.

If you call yourself a southern drum you will be asked to have some good fancy dance songs. Consider making some of your own compositions to fit this category. The drum I mainly sing with has 7 fancy dance songs that are their own compositions.
We have used all 7 at some 3-day powwows.

Although I've never traveled further north than Queens, NY, I've never really had to experience singing a northern style song like the Jingle, Chicken, Duck & Dive, etc. However, if WhoMe is correct in his statement about some of the Canadian Pow Wows, then yes, it would be helpful to be familiar with them. What you do with it when you're called up for one like that is up to you and the Pow Wow Committee.

Niwiwan2005 07-21-2005 04:53 PM

I Agree with cha..

Hey...I thank-you all for your insights. To be frank, I was only asking about southern song/dance forms, but Southernwaterbird has a point about being familiar with northern styles. I saw this first hand in Milwaukee, WI, when the MC called for a Duck 'N'Dive from a Southern drum. The drum looked at each other with a "now what do we do?!" look..

WhoMe 07-21-2005 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niwiwan2005
I saw this first hand in Milwaukee, WI, when the MC called for a Duck 'N'Dive from a Southern drum. The drum looked at each other with a "now what do we do?!" look..

This is a perfect example of what I am talking about.

More and more, southern drums are being invited to the Northern US and Canadian Powwows.

I sang with a couple of southern drums that were pioneers in introducing southern powwow music to the Central Canadian Plains. We were called upon in drum rotation to sing for every style of dance category. In response, I have composed songs for our drum to sing for every northern category.

Niwiwan, if you want, I can send you a tape of some of our songs to use when your drums sing. It would honor me! PM me with your address. I hope to meet you and your young singers someday!

This is the good thing about powwows.com.......

"We are all here to share and learn."