Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Southern Singing For those of you who compose songs... For those of you who compose songs...

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-25-2007, 09:39 AM   #1
Taskahoi Atsuti

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
LSS has a reputation beyond repute
LSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 278.94
Savings: 1.00
For those of you who compose songs...

A very good friend and I recently had a conversation about song composition. While I believe that songs "come to me" and others, he looked it as an approach that people are/think they are an authority figure...especially when it comes to word songs.

I respect his position very much and I have wondered how many others have/share the same views of my friend. I understand that word songs have been (for the lack of a better description) categorized for the most part as men's dance songs. Most of these songs talk about war expeditions, journeys throughout life, etc. So, my question(s) to you are:

1. Are any of those songs you compose word songs?
  2. Do you tend to compose more word songs or more straight songs?
  3. Is it acceptable for you to compose songs? Word songs?
  4. What makes it acceptable for you to compose either straight songs or word songs? Do you have to be a veteran/seasoned singer?

LSS
To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!

Last edited by LSS; 02-26-2007 at 06:09 PM.. Reason: clarity
LSS is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2007, 07:06 PM   #2
Tiny Tot Dancer

Charlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
I have been singing for over 40yrs. I never would compose a song. I was taught there were singers then there were song makers. Just because you sing does not make you a song maker.

This is how I was taught. Others do not go by this. My father was a song maker. I and brothers except for one are not. This I believe made for powerful songs. Not just good songs.

Take it or leave it as you may. Just one old man's opinion.
Charlie TwoShirts is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2007, 07:39 PM   #3
Taskahoi Atsuti

LSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie TwoShirts View Post
I have been singing for over 40yrs. I never would compose a song. I was taught there were singers then there were song makers. Just because you sing does not make you a song maker.

This is how I was taught. Others do not go by this. My father was a song maker. I and brothers except for one are not. This I believe made for powerful songs. Not just good songs.

Take it or leave it as you may. Just one old man's opinion.
Charlie,

I too believe this as well. Those who are "song makers"...does that make them an authority? Because being an authority does not make one a "song composer".

Just a bit of rawhide to chew on.

LSS
To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:30 AM   #4
nobody

suthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 394.00
No singer should have any authority over another, other then head singer. Just because you are given the gift of making songs, dosen't mean you can boast about it. You were given a gift, that should make you humble, not an authority.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:09 PM   #5
Taskahoi Atsuti

Quote:
Originally Posted by suthernwaterbird View Post
No singer should have any authority over another, other then head singer. Just because you are given the gift of making songs, dosen't mean you can boast about it. You were given a gift, that should make you humble, not an authority.
No no my man...I'm not saying people having authority over another individual per say...just in the terms of it being acceptable to compose songs...especially when they come to you. Is it ok for you to sing them (your own song)? Is it ok for others to sing your songs? Does this make a difference on if its a word song or not?

Old 02-26-2007, 06:34 PM   #6
Taskahoi Atsuti

Here is my position...

Lets say for instance that someone is given the gift of song composition from the Creator. This person proceeds with his gift and begins composing and molding the songs to fit what is needed by the people. The result is a beautiful product by the individual (as he sees it) that is granted by the Creator.

Now...my question to you is if this individual has the right to gift these songs (that come from the Creator) to other individuals? Does this mean that this individual is/can be considered "an authority" on songs? Or even language if the words come to him?

LSS

Old 02-27-2007, 01:53 AM   #7
Tiny Tot Dancer

Charlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie TwoShirts has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Charlie,

I too believe this as well. Those who are "song makers"...does that make them an authority? Because being an authority does not make one a "song composer".

Just a bit of rawhide to chew on.
I think you are just playing with words. What I have to say is they have authority BECAUSE they are songmakers. Now your definition of authority may be different than mine. When you say "composer" I have to laugh. It makes it sound like mozart or something.

Quote:
Here is my position...

Lets say for instance that someone is given the gift of song composition from the Creator. This person proceeds with his gift and begins composing and molding the songs to fit what is needed by the people. The result is a beautiful product by the individual (as he sees it) that is granted by the Creator.

Now...my question to you is if this individual has the right to gift these songs (that come from the Creator) to other individuals? Does this mean that this individual is/can be considered "an authority" on songs? Or even language if the words come to him?
I would have to say that this person be very careful what they think is from the creator. I've seen it too many times. A person has a song "gifted" to them and says it is from the creator and it doesn't have some of the elements that it should or they try to fit too much in. Things like that. If that be the case then how could it be from the creator. Not mine to judge just a question. If he gives a song then it would be the right one wouldn't it?

Quote:
This person proceeds with his gift and begins composing and molding the songs to fit what is needed by the people. The result is a beautiful product by the individual (as he sees it) that is granted by the Creator.
Composing and molding? To fit what is needed? If it is from the creator wouldn't he give the song the people needed instead of having to have it molded? It sounds like that individual is on an ego trip. Just my opinon. I would be leery.
Charlie TwoShirts is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2007, 09:10 PM   #8
catfish: food of the gods

StereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 875.03
please excuse my ignorance, but what is a straight song?
StereoTypicalHarley is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2007, 01:22 AM   #9
Taskahoi Atsuti

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeproud View Post
please excuse my ignorance, but what is a straight song?
A song w/o any words in it.

Old 02-28-2007, 03:48 PM   #10
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,582.70
LSS,

I've composed several songs.

I make a first copy of the song and turn it into our lead singer. He then "straightens" the song to make it flow better so that it will be more singable. Same goes for the rest of our group. If someone makes a song, they turn in the rough copy to the lead singer and he has an ear for improving it.

If I feel my song needs some words, I ask him to add some and tell him what the song will be used for.

Then we take the finished version to drum practice and everyone learns it. Then we take it to a powwow and we sing it.

To answer your question, we don't really address the "authority" question at all, because all this is done internally within our group. The only authority for our group is our lead singer. He speaks on our behalf but not for anyone else.

Sometimes songs just come to me at the oddest times as I am doing something totally unrelated. I sing them over and over until I can get to a recorder and put down the rough copy so I won't forget. Then I decide what I want to use this song for.

It's really not that complicated.

Last edited by WhoMe; 02-28-2007 at 03:55 PM..
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2007, 04:27 PM   #11
BOULDERDASH!

Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 396.55
Come on Who Me....

We know you fasted 40 days and 40 nights and captured hundreds of horses and and and and....GAWD! LOL!

See Dorothy had to travel all the way to the land of OZ to realize there is no place like home....The answers we seek are usually right on the tip of our noses....K.I.S.S.
"She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."
Coyot_In_The_House is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2007, 04:42 PM   #12
Fat Singer

billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
After 15 years of singin I finally came up with a round dance song.

The tune just popped into my head so I am wondering if it is just another one of the hundreds I have heard before. It fit with the words I wrote perfectly tho.

When I first met you,
You shot me down, you broke my heart.
But we got married,
And now you're stuck with me,
Till death do us part.

I have heard a few TILL DEATH DO US PART songs, maybe it is one of them.

Any of you seasoned singers recognize the words?
Really smart people who think they are smart.
billyjoejimbob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2007, 04:54 PM   #13
BOULDERDASH!

Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 396.55
U U U Stole My Song!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjoejimbob View Post

The tune just popped into my head so I am wondering if it is just another one of the hundreds I have heard before. It fit with the words I wrote perfectly tho.

When I first met you,
But we got married,
Till death do us part.

U Thieving Wasicu U! Wongeh!

Yeah I'm bored 2day!
"She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."
Coyot_In_The_House is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2007, 08:00 PM   #14
Holy Indian Taco Batman!

hobbs49 has a reputation beyond repute
hobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 49.99
I make new songs everyday! I sing them too!

Unfortunately, I'm normally trying to sing an 'established' song when this happens. I never do anything with them, wouldn't want to be accused of sampling :-)
hobbs49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2007, 08:10 PM   #15
Taskahoi Atsuti

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs49 View Post
I make new songs everyday! I sing them too!

Unfortunately, I'm normally trying to sing an 'established' song when this happens. I never do anything with them, wouldn't want to be accused of sampling :-)
he he he....lmao

Old 02-28-2007, 08:25 PM   #16
nobody

suthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond repute
If you come up with a song, sing it. I don't believe WE create these songs. I was taught that these songs that come to us, are centuries old, and they pick who they want to sing. So, the real question is, do we put our names on songs that don't belong to us?
Old 03-01-2007, 11:05 AM   #17
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,582.70
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjoejimbob View Post

When I first met you,
But we got married,
Till death do us part.

bjjb,

As far as southern round dance songs, I have never heard a song with your words in them.

However, the melody may be familiar.

Would you mind typing a few bars so that I can see if it seems familiar?

*L
Old 03-01-2007, 12:59 PM   #18
nobody

heya hey ya eh ha.. heyaa eh ya eh haa..

there goes mine n beer woman's song. just in case you just COULDN'T, get that lead..
Old 03-01-2007, 05:11 PM   #19
Fat Singer

billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
Well since you asked.

Hopefully the pic came up. I tried my best to transcribe it. The musical notes are to the beat of the vocables, the words are just matched up to the notes.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Really smart people who think they are smart.
billyjoejimbob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2007, 05:44 PM   #20
Lovin' life,

Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 260.00
Ya know.........that's lookin like your singing on the beat there. I thought you were supposed to sing off the beat.