PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Southern Singing (http://forums.powwows.com/f19/)
-   -   Traditional vs. Contemporary Southern (http://forums.powwows.com/f19/traditional-vs-contemporary-southern-67467/)

WhoMe 04-18-2013 10:46 AM

Traditional vs. Contemporary Southern
 
Southern singing has certainly evolved in my lifetime. I've seen major changes in traditional tribal powwow singing. Some of these changes include:

1. Tone. The range of singing has now reached so high that you could shake hands with a jet pilot! Sing it. Don't scream it!
2. Speed. Slow down, we're in no hurry. You're about to give the chorus girls a heart attack!
3. The Beat. No, not Thabeet of the Oklahoma Thunders basketball team. Why abuse a drum when it didn't do anything to you?
4. The Songs. Monkey see, monkey do. So many new songs are spinoffs of other songs.
5. Multiple leads. What? The lead singer can't sing four starts like their grandpas and uncles did?
6. Staying at the drum. Where are you going? You're too young to have prostrate problems!
7. Contests. Don't only sing for the money and glory. Help out in your community for free at the local dances once in awhile!
8. Dress. Pull ur darn pants up for heavens sakes or someones going to swipe their credit card on your line!


Since there is no turning back now, what do you think about splitting southern contest singing into separate Traditional and Contemporary categories?

Joe's Dad 04-18-2013 11:31 AM

WhoMe,

Will you put an example of a good Southern song, maybe from Yellowhammer or equivalent? LOL j/k

I need to go to more powwows. I haven't heard Opie Day sing Southern yet.

running_with_buffs 04-18-2013 12:12 PM

yeah its getting bad screamfest for sure,also need to come and actually sing in oklahoma(not everybody)but if your gonna say your from oklahoma sing there everyonce and a while!....

Zeke 04-18-2013 12:45 PM

It's all occurred due to the infectuous nature of contest powwows and big $$$ to be freak shows.

Higher, faster, image, etc.

Bah.

running_with_buffs 04-18-2013 01:23 PM

sho nuff zeke! also how many of these singers northern and southern got kids all over the place?that they do not take care of... drink and party around as soon as powwows over? lots of kids look at these guys as idols too...and i know its not all of them maybe just a few but those few still get looked up too. And when these young guys see what there doing they think its all right cuase themguys are good singers. Its time to break the cycle fellas

YBHMETALHEAD 04-19-2013 12:45 PM

I do see truth in this. I grew up around all tha old guys like Evans Ray Satepauhoodle, Harry Buffalohead & Leonard Cozad Sr. Them guys, especially my Pujv or Kohn, Evans Ray, he taught me that tha old way was tha right way. Dressing your best at the drum, singing loud and hard but no need to scream, be reverent while you sit there, and carry yourself in a good way cuz I you're gonna be someone who brings those songs from The Creator to heal the people, people are gonna be watching eery move you make, cuz these people think highly of you. No disrespect to many of these modern southern drums, cuz I've known some of their singers personally for a long time, and i think a tiny little contemp isnt to bad, but at some point, enough is enough.

running_with_buffs 04-19-2013 06:41 PM

@ybh
 
good points you made but how old are you? im over 40 and barley remember harry buffalohead, so how old was you when you was around him?

YBHMETALHEAD 04-20-2013 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by running_with_buffs (Post 1576906)
good points you made but how old are you? im over 40 and barley remember harry buffalohead, so how old was you when you was around him?

Well, forgive me, but I never got to know Garry personally, but tha first few pws I were brought to when I was a few months old back in 95 he was head singer a few of those times. I never remember any other songs I heard at that age, but tha ones he sang somehow stayed in my mind from my infancy til tha present day where I'm 18 now. He wasn't a direct mentor to me, but he was one of those old guys I remembered hearing way back there when.

Gledanh Zhinga 04-20-2013 11:12 AM

They are all good points. An added point would be the rushed "Goshga" beats, those three accents that come between the main chorus and into the repeat chorus. For a dancer, rushed beats suck canal water. And those three beats were not always in the southern songs, especially in Western Oklahoma. There was just a single accent which coincided with the repeat chorus beginning (like Northern singing). I suggest listening to tapes and recordings of the old style singers.

To hear the control of the old Ponca drum as on Indian House Recordings, is like being in dreamy dreamland. Some of those early singers that I remember were Lamont Brown, Joe Rush, Russell Rush, Bill Collins Sr., Sylvester Warrior, Francis Eagle, Harry Buffalohead, Albert Waters, Louis Fawfaw (Otoe), and Bill Kuality (Kiowa).

"How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice; practice; practice."

"Don't get too far from the tree."

wanjica_the_one 04-21-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 1576293)
It's all occurred due to the infectuous nature of contest powwows and big $$$ to be freak shows.

Higher, faster, image, etc.

Bah.

I find it strange that you would be in agreement to keeping the old ways. I thought you were progressive and relished moving forward, especially for women in gourd dancing.

Zeke 04-21-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanjica_the_one (Post 1577174)
I find it strange that you would be in agreement to keeping the old ways. I thought you were progressive and relished moving forward, especially for women in gourd dancing.

1. You're a troll.
2. There's a difference between evolution and mutation for $$$.

wanjica_the_one 04-27-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 1577177)
1. You're a troll.

Which is what all the Arkansas Razorback forums say about you.

Back to the topic. As long they sound good singing and as long as everyone is dancing, I don't see any problem.

Zeke 04-28-2013 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanjica_the_one (Post 1579389)
Which is what all the Arkansas Razorback forums say about you.

Back to the topic. As long they sound good singing and as long as everyone is dancing, I don't see any problem.

You're so lame.

If you desire to discuss organizational leadership where I was right, bring it. (You'll lose.)

If you desire to bring up other ad hominem red herrings, you'll still lose.

Truth is defined by what IS.

What "is," is that your views are a joke.

WhoMe 05-02-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe's Dad (Post 1576281)
WhoMe,

Will you put an example of a good Southern song, maybe from Yellowhammer or equivalent? LOL j/k

I need to go to more powwows. I haven't heard Opie Day sing Southern yet.

Joe's,

I'm almost positive Opie can sing southern *L Top northern drums have been throwing in a southern song or two for over a decade now. Some actually sound pretty good. Others, Hmmmm?

I too like Da' Hammer and have sat in with them a time or two. They keep it real!

Zeke 05-02-2013 12:49 PM

If I remember correctly, the Red Land singers would occassionally do something somewhat out of hardcore Northern character.

I recall liking it.

wanjica_the_one 05-05-2013 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 1579405)
You're so lame.

If you desire to discuss organizational leadership where I was right, bring it. (You'll lose.)

If you desire to bring up other ad hominem red herrings, you'll still lose.

Truth is defined by what IS.

What "is," is that your views are a joke.

Your words just repeat over and over, from retarded kittens to ad hominems or was that hominy soup?

Zeke 05-05-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanjica_the_one (Post 1579992)
Your words just repeat over and over, from retarded kittens to ad hominems or was that hominy soup?

Doesn't matter: you fail to grasp even the most simple of metaphor or superficial of thought.

I'm embarrassed for you.

wanjica_the_one 05-06-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 1580011)
Doesn't matter: you fail to grasp even the most simple of metaphor or superficial of thought.

I'm embarrassed for you.

You forgot to roll your eyes.

Zeke 05-06-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanjica_the_one (Post 1580134)
You forgot to roll your eyes.

No.

You're just not worth the effort.

Joe's Dad 05-06-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhoMe (Post 1579776)
Joe's,

I'm almost positive Opie can sing southern *L Top northern drums have been throwing in a southern song or two for over a decade now. Some actually sound pretty good. Others, Hmmmm?

I too like Da' Hammer and have sat in with them a time or two. They keep it real!

Rumor has it Buckwild and Iron Boy have made a CD together. Hope it's a for realz rumor. They were set up next to each other this past weekend.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright 2006, PowWows.com, LLC