Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Southern Singing Un-written rules of the drum Un-written rules of the drum

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2003, 11:39 AM   #21
Ms. Indian Universe 2005

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
rezdoll has a reputation beyond reputerezdoll has a reputation beyond reputerezdoll has a reputation beyond reputerezdoll has a reputation beyond reputerezdoll has a reputation beyond reputerezdoll has a reputation beyond reputerezdoll has a reputation beyond reputerezdoll has a reputation beyond reputerezdoll has a reputation beyond reputerezdoll has a reputation beyond reputerezdoll has a reputation beyond reputerezdoll has a reputation beyond reputerezdoll has a reputation beyond reputerezdoll has a reputation beyond reputerezdoll has a reputation beyond reputerezdoll has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
All I know is that as a Woman I enjoy seeing those singers northern or southern that show respect and dress appropriately around the drum. It's what makes them look so dang good. It's not attractive to see someone's unz hanging out or bandana's around the head....what's attractive is hearing that proper beat at the right time. I admit I hate waiting on the jamz to start but I am appreciative of all singers who respect themselves by respecting their drums.

Last edited by rezdoll; 04-18-2003 at 11:54 AM..
rezdoll is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2007, 08:31 PM   #22
Taskahoi Atsuti

LSS has a reputation beyond repute
LSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 278.94
Savings: 1.00
Expectations around the drum....

I am pulling this out of the archives. I felt like there was some good information that could be shared...and possibly added upon.

LSS
To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!
LSS is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2007, 11:26 PM   #23
Singer/ Dancer

RedShield has a reputation beyond repute
RedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 369.00
Good thread LSS... I like most of what was listed so far, would be interested to see what else is added...

For me... I'll add one...

Know what your songs are, what they are for and where they come from, if there is any language, know what the words are and what they mean... if you are unclear on any of the above... don't sing them...

Just my 49 cents worth!
Old 02-26-2007, 10:25 AM   #24
nobody

suthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 394.00
I stilll wanna know why everything has to be so complicated...Again, singing is so simple.. There aren't really rules, they're more like guidlines. More like taking a little time to prepare yourself, before you go out there. Kinda have an idea of maybe some songs you plan on bustin out, so that you're prepared when it comes around to you. Really, standing, or sitting there is going to be different beliefs across the country, that's the way it is, so don't argue about it, kinda like making a muslim go to church. You can't change anyone's mind from their own faith. Eating, I was taught is ok, because your sharing life with that drum, good times. That's what makes the atmosphere. Maybe, put a little food out for that drum while you eat. Just how I was raised, not saying it's right. As far as clothes go, as long as I keep my belt on, my hat forward and sing, then I guess I'm ok. Cussing well, it's pretty disrespectful, I mean you know for the drum and the women, and anyone older sitting there. This is why we have our NDN EBONICS..like
AAAYYYYEE or SHIIIII...
Like I said I don't think they should be considered rules, more really like guidlines...
jus me..and I'm nobody but myself...just another singer.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:28 PM   #25
Pow Wow Visitor

youngster is an unknown quantity at this point
rules

everybodys got some good ones on here brown hornet ive been head singer when you have messed up and you laughed about and didnt pay anything so practice what cha preach please,me ive bronken all the "unwritten rules"at one time or another so i cant say anything to anybody about how they act
youngster is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2007, 08:32 PM   #26
Taskahoi Atsuti

LSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by suthernwaterbird View Post
I stilll wanna know why everything has to be so complicated...Again, singing is so simple.. There aren't really rules, they're more like guidlines. More like taking a little time to prepare yourself, before you go out there. Kinda have an idea of maybe some songs you plan on bustin out, so that you're prepared when it comes around to you. Really, standing, or sitting there is going to be different beliefs across the country, that's the way it is, so don't argue about it, kinda like making a muslim go to church. You can't change anyone's mind from their own faith. Eating, I was taught is ok, because your sharing life with that drum, good times. That's what makes the atmosphere. Maybe, put a little food out for that drum while you eat. Just how I was raised, not saying it's right. As far as clothes go, as long as I keep my belt on, my hat forward and sing, then I guess I'm ok. Cussing well, it's pretty disrespectful, I mean you know for the drum and the women, and anyone older sitting there. This is why we have our NDN EBONICS..like
AAAYYYYEE or SHIIIII...
Like I said I don't think they should be considered rules, more really like guidlines...
jus me..and I'm nobody but myself...just another singer.

SWB,

Even as a young singer...like myself...you make some very valid points. I mentioned to a friend of mine today that all these "rules" (which are really more like life lessons) should be characterized as general life behaviors...just another reminder of how to behave one's self. Like you said...different areas/regions...folks do it differently. Soooooooooo...when in Rome, do as in Rome & BE HUMBLE about it!

LSS
To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:47 PM   #27
Taskahoi Atsuti

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngster View Post
everybodys got some good ones on here brown hornet ive been head singer when you have messed up and you laughed about and didnt pay anything so practice what cha preach please,me ive bronken all the "unwritten rules"at one time or another so i cant say anything to anybody about how they act
Coming out and admiting that you too are human and make mistakes is great! Not everyone is man enough (or woman enough) to admit to such reality.

I think the purpose in starting the thread....and even me bringing it back from the depths of the sea....was to get some dialogue going, as I stated, with regards to "expectations" around the drum. What things that are the most common. For example, I'm sure many of you would find this obsurd...but, it is nothing uncommon for me share a dirty joke with my parents and grandparents...and vice versa. For you all, this may not be acceptable in your household. You're not gonna come into my parents house and tell them how to run their house. My father would say "Don't let the door hit you where the sun don't shine!" Just because you are there at a drum and do not like how things are done...you either do as you know, respectfully in that environment, or you leave. Simple as that!

So...now that we have that established...how do you conduct your house , I mean drum.

LSS

Old 02-27-2007, 09:51 AM   #28
Singer/ Dancer

RedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond repute
I think the point of... "when in rome..." is an important one. A lot of times I will go over and talk to the AD and ask questions about how they want things to run and ask if some things we normally do are ok with them. All it takes is a quick conversation and you won't ruffle too many feathers.

As for the "rules," no they aren't engraved in stone... Moses didn't come down with another tablet inscribed with... the 10 commandments of singing or anything... it is just that some things need to be done and some things shouldn't be done.

Unfortunately there are drums out there without a clue, and no semblence of etiquette. It's like going to a fancy dinner... there are things you do and things you don't (like possibly eating the plants by the table... boy did I learn that one the hard way! LOL) I think discussion like this can just make people think... most of this that has been posted so far I agree with... some things made me stop and think for a second. It's just a good idea to think of this stuff and how well your group follows them... you never want to develop a rep as a rude, disrespectful drum... you don't get many gigs that way!

Just my 49 cents worth!

Paselo~
Old 02-27-2007, 11:44 AM   #29
nobody

suthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShield View Post
Moses didn't come down with another tablet inscribed with... the 10 commandments of singing or anything...
If someone had come down..don't you think it would have been WHOME???lol

Quote:
SWB,

Even as a young singer...like myself...you make some very valid points. I mentioned to a friend of mine today that all these "rules" (which are really more like life lessons) should be characterized as general life behaviors...just another reminder of how to behave one's self. Like you said...different areas/regions...folks do it differently. Soooooooooo...when in Rome, do as in Rome & BE HUMBLE about it!

LSS
That's another thing I was taught that, being around that drum, how you act, the protocol of events, how things go on, why these things happen, what are the effects of these songs, they don't just stop at the dance. The way you carry on at that drum, is how you should live your life. NOT saying that you can't do what you want, more that theres a time and a place. You should use your behavior at the drum, as a guidline to how you want to live outside of powwows. Always have fun, but also take care of business. There's a time and place for everything. Nobody's perfect. Not one person on this earth is. But that shouldn't be an excuse. It never hurts to be humble. ESPECIALLY, when someone is trying to argue with you..off subject.
Another thing I've noticed with singers nowadayz(not that I'm even old still a teen HA) is that nobody has any faith. Everybody wants to take 15 people to sing, then whyne about being broke. I think it's kinda insecure. I have seen groups with 5 people make the most beautiful music and afford to go to the powwow next weekend.. Faith though, what most singers fail to realize is, that your not gonna just come out and make money. That's all wrong. You wont make any money period with that attitude..Go with just enough money to support yourself for the weekend. Just take that grandpa and have faith..EVERYTHING is always alright. Will ALWAYS be allright. As long as you take care of him.well you know the rest. All I'm saying is, you have to sacrifice a little bit in order to do what you want. Bottom line..
OK now class dismissed.. now that ima teenage college professor

lol
jus kiddin
Old 02-27-2007, 12:24 PM   #30
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Two rules.

1. Just sing.

2. Don't be stupid.
Kiwehnzii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2007, 08:40 PM   #31
Taskahoi Atsuti

As Scizzor Tail titled it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwehnzii View Post
Two rules.

1. Just sing.

2. Don't be stupid.
"Enough Said"

Old 03-07-2007, 04:30 PM   #32
Southern Singer

slysouthernguy will become famous soon enough
Define stupid.

Doesn't this last post mean that we need to define stupid? Wouldn't this just lead us to the original post? Hmmmmmmm.....
Old 03-07-2007, 11:33 PM   #33
Taskahoi Atsuti

Quote:
Originally Posted by slysouthernguy View Post
Doesn't this last post mean that we need to define stupid? Wouldn't this just lead us to the original post? Hmmmmmmm.....
LOL....how quickly we come full circle...and really realize that we have not accomplished that we had set out to do...

Stupid is as stupid does.....but, what does stupid?

lol

Old 03-08-2007, 10:11 AM   #34
nobody

well...I had fun..wit ma stupid self...that's all that counts right?
Old 03-08-2007, 04:18 PM   #35
Singer/ Dancer

wow... three pages of talking in one big circle... just to get back to where it started... I wonder about this type of stuff sometimes... LOL
Old 03-11-2007, 09:33 PM   #36
Taskahoi Atsuti

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShield View Post
wow... three pages of talking in one big circle... just to get back to where it started... I wonder about this type of stuff sometimes... LOL
I guess the real question now is if anyone got anything from it or not....lol...

Old 03-19-2007, 01:22 AM   #37
CakeWalk Champion

cakewalk has a reputation beyond reputecakewalk has a reputation beyond reputecakewalk has a reputation beyond reputecakewalk has a reputation beyond reputecakewalk has a reputation beyond reputecakewalk has a reputation beyond reputecakewalk has a reputation beyond reputecakewalk has a reputation beyond reputecakewalk has a reputation beyond reputecakewalk has a reputation beyond reputecakewalk has a reputation beyond reputecakewalk has a reputation beyond reputecakewalk has a reputation beyond reputecakewalk has a reputation beyond reputecakewalk has a reputation beyond reputecakewalk has a reputation beyond repute
i dont recall seeing this one, help everyone sing no matter who starts it. no matter what song it is. your there to sing!