Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Southern Singing Up and Coming Southern Groups Up and Coming Southern Groups

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-22-2006, 02:27 AM   #1
Singer/ Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
RedShield has a reputation beyond repute
RedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 369.00
Savings: 1.00
Up and Coming Southern Groups

I was reading over on the Northern thread and this idea caught my attention...

Who are the up and coming Southern Groups in your area? Who has the potential to be the next Cozad, Southern Boys, Sizzortail or Youngbird?

As for me... the best Southern Drum we see up here in Ohio is Sterling and his crew White Hawk out of Chicago. They ain't new but not one of the big names yet.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:13 PM   #2
nobody

suthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 394.00
Savings: 0.00
Wyld Band of Comanches...Black Bear Creek

then theres always Waterbird...from ATL, recently relocating to Lawton OK...
Old 08-02-2006, 03:29 PM   #3
Tiny Tot Dancer

old bull is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 0.00
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by suthernwaterbird
Wyld Band of Comanches...Black Bear Creek

then theres always Waterbird...from ATL, recently relocating to Lawton OK...
GOOD ONE JAKE BUT WATCH THE HEAD SWELLING
Old 08-03-2006, 02:58 PM   #4
Teen Dancer

travelingmocs has a reputation beyond repute
travelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond repute
To be honest I am sick of everyone trying to get a drum group together and then make a few "original" songs and then put out a CD in a few months. When I was last in Oklahoma it was a blast, there was the two head singers, and then evryone who came to help them out. It was great, I loved it.

Cozads. Southern Thunder, and so will all have there places in the powwow world. But some times I think groups are put together for the wrongs reasons, and those reasons are green ones.

Sorry but thats just my view point....................
Old 08-03-2006, 04:12 PM   #5
Junior Dancer

Ivanasnagu is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingmocs
To be honest I am sick of everyone trying to get a drum group together and then make a few "original" songs and then put out a CD in a few months. When I was last in Oklahoma it was a blast, there was the two head singers, and then evryone who came to help them out. It was great, I loved it.

Cozads. Southern Thunder, and so will all have there places in the powwow world. But some times I think groups are put together for the wrongs reasons, and those reasons are green ones.

Sorry but thats just my view point....................
Are you implying that Cozads & Southern Thunder put their groups together for the WRONG reasons, and those reasons are green ones? That is insulting! I think that most drums that put their music out for the public want to share their songs and encourage young singers to learn. That's my opinion. When you were last in Oklahoma and there was two head singers and everyone who came out to help them, blah blah blah, the head singers were probably one of the Cozad, Southern Thunder, Rose Hill, or Yellow Hammer singers. The idea of drum groups is to take music for the people and to share with the people. Unfortunately, only commercial recorders are available for distribution hence the charge. They can't be making that much on CD sales to quit their day jobs. Give me a break.

Sorry but thats just my view point.
Ivanasnagu is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2006, 08:12 PM   #6
Taskahoi Atsuti

LSS has a reputation beyond repute
LSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 278.94
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingmocs
I.,

I didn't get that impression when I first read his post. I got that he was saying how over time the younger groups, who are doing it for the right reasons, will have "their time" like Cozads, Southern Thunder, etc. It's often a family affair and it took years of hard work. I can honestly say from experience, I have seen young men come around the drum thinking its all glamour, women & recreational activities. From my personal experiences, these are some of the "green reasons" I assume he references.

Not enough people these days put in the time and energy...you often hear of the gossip that goes along w/ people coming in and moving on from one drum. As a testimony to the truth of putting in your time, I'm just now starting to see how things work out for the better after putting in ~10 years. And I have a long road ahead of me!

LSS
To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!
LSS is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-04-2006, 05:14 AM   #7
Tiny Tot Dancer

old bull is a jewel in the rough
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSS
I.,

I didn't get that impression when I first read his post. I got that he was saying how over time the younger groups, who are doing it for the right reasons, will have "their time" like Cozads, Southern Thunder, etc. It's often a family affair and it took years of hard work. I can honestly say from experience, I have seen young men come around the drum thinking its all glamour, women & recreational activities. From my personal experiences, these are some of the "green reasons" I assume he references.

Not enough people these days put in the time and energy...you often hear of the gossip that goes along w/ people coming in and moving on from one drum. As a testimony to the truth of putting in your time, I'm just now starting to see how things work out for the better after putting in ~10 years. And I have a long road ahead of me!

LSS
my point exactly well said
Old 08-04-2006, 11:03 AM   #8
Junior Dancer

Ivanasnagu is a glorious beacon of light
Unhappy

Okay guys, I misunderstood, I'm sorry. I was thinking about Mandaree, Cozads, Battle River, Southern Thunder, Yellow Hammer, Rose Hill, Stoney Park, the Tyners, all my favorite musicians. I have so much respect fot these older singers that I got a little defensive about the green backs. With all said, they all bring a good spirit to any arena, whether singing all together at the big drum or as drum groups.
Ivanasnagu is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-04-2006, 11:24 AM   #9
powwow professional

mnx_str8_up is a jewel in the rough
i dunno too much about the groups "lives".........dont really wanna know either..............but i do know i love music..........especially good music.............so i enjoy listenein' to yellowhammer,cozads,southern thunder,whitetail,sbz,yb................as for up-n-coming groups............i like thunderhill(boys be jammin'!!)............and a group of shorties called blackbear creek............ya'll keep puttin' out the music,and i'll continue to listen...........to the music,not the drama
mnx_str8_up is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-04-2006, 11:36 AM   #10
Taskahoi Atsuti

LSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnx_str8_up
ya'll keep puttin' out the music,and i'll continue to listen...........to the music,not the drama
Thats exactly what you have to do....not listen to the drama.
To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Old 08-04-2006, 05:12 PM   #11
Senior Dancer

wa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,939.03
WYLD BUNCH OF COMMANCHES set up at Stroud this year and they were jammin'.
These singers will make you want to dance!
They bring out the best, natural moves a dancer has. They're music was fun to dance too.

They start their songs out high and they continue to climb every time through.

AWESOME SINGING GROUP!!!!
Old 08-07-2006, 03:37 PM   #12
Tiny Tot Dancer

SPINNA will become famous soon enough
Most of the singers I know that started a drum, did so because of the love of it...not any glamour or money. I mean it aint that much money or glamour in it. Ive been around guys that have started groups at very young ages, and it was because of pure love of singing! I guess there may be some guys out there looking for glamour and money...well...good luck, because unlike popular music industry, you aint gonna get rich off our music!
SPINNA is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2006, 12:27 AM   #13
REZIN RIDE

Items Elephant
stillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond repute
stillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond repute
Location: 3rd tipi on the left just past the broken down car and the pack of rez dogs chasing horse's
Credits: 200.00
THUNDERHILL

enuff said.

juss cuzz some r my budz.

and they can kick out some jammin' tunes.
stillrezin is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2006, 11:54 AM   #14
Taskahoi Atsuti

I've gotta throw out Southern Sun from NC. They've done very well at the larger pow wows they're starting to get out at.

Good job boys (and girls)! Keep up the good work!

Old 08-11-2006, 03:49 PM   #15
Fukkin Hoka

Nas-D-Native will become famous soon enough
Credits: 310.00
Thunder Hill B****es

All I Have To Say Is Thunder Hill B****es I Represent It Well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Old 08-14-2006, 05:56 PM   #16
Taskahoi Atsuti

hmmmm.....

no other up and coming drums?.....dang....looks like we've gotta shot to go all the way.

Old 08-15-2006, 12:10 PM   #17
~*Southernz Elite*~

SBZ4life has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSS
hmmmm.....

no other up and coming drums?.....dang....looks like we've gotta shot to go all the way.

Bring it!!!

" say what I feel, I say what I think, I say what you do not like, Yet for some reason what I say is somewhat correct" Chief Big Beef 1999
SBZ4life is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-15-2006, 12:45 PM   #18
Junior Dancer

records_all_drumz has a reputation beyond reputerecords_all_drumz has a reputation beyond reputerecords_all_drumz has a reputation beyond reputerecords_all_drumz has a reputation beyond reputerecords_all_drumz has a reputation beyond reputerecords_all_drumz has a reputation beyond reputerecords_all_drumz has a reputation beyond reputerecords_all_drumz has a reputation beyond reputerecords_all_drumz has a reputation beyond reputerecords_all_drumz has a reputation beyond reputerecords_all_drumz has a reputation beyond reputerecords_all_drumz has a reputation beyond reputerecords_all_drumz has a reputation beyond reputerecords_all_drumz has a reputation beyond reputerecords_all_drumz has a reputation beyond reputerecords_all_drumz has a reputation beyond repute
The one I am familiar with is Black Bear Creek or BBC is a younger group from Pawnee and would be consider "up and coming".

Wyld Band of Comanches are they not the younger Monoessy crew Anthony, Ronald, Larry and several other Comanches who started their own group? And SBZ is headed up by Kelly Cable, at least that is what I had heard.

Either way they have some good tunes...
records_all_drumz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-15-2006, 01:36 PM   #19
Kili!

Wojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBZ4life
Bring it!!!
I LOVE IT! Nothing wrong with attitude
Old 08-15-2006, 01:46 PM   #20
REZIN RIDE

Items Elephant
stillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond repute
stillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond repute
Location: 3rd tipi on the left just past the broken down car and the pack of rez dogs chasing horse's
Credits: 200.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBZ4life
Bring it!!!

right on!
stillrezin is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links