Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Southern Singing Veterans Songs Veterans Songs

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-15-2005, 10:38 AM   #1
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,562.70
Savings: 0.00
Veterans Songs

Several tribes have both warrior songs and modern veterans songs.

Songs are composed today, to fit the times. Thus, there are new veterans songs for the Iraqi Conflict(s), Vietnam and Women Veterans.

The Ho Chunk have songs for different branches of service. (ie. Army, Navy, etc.) Do any other tribes have this?

What songs are sung in the area you reside in?

Are they warrior songs, modern veteran's songs or both?

Are these songs used in the grand entry or to post the flags?

Who are the composers of these songs?

What do some of the words mean?
Old 12-15-2005, 10:55 AM   #2
Kili!

Wojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Good thread idea!

Disclaimer: I'm not speaking for anyone other than myself and my singing experiences.

Historically there were no such thing as a veteran's songs, only warrior songs (i.e. war party songs), and these are numerous and some are still sung occasionally in South Dakota...mainly ones like the Battle of the Little Big Horn Song.

There are new veteran's songs being composed by people and groups all the time. I've never heard of anyone having to have the "right" to compose these songs, but just anyone with a knowledge and a desire to honor veterans. Lots and lots and lots of songs were produced out of WWII era. They spoke of the Germans (eya sica - "bad mouths") and the Japanese (kisunla kin - "long braids"). There is a well known Korea song that is still sung at gatherings.

Many of these songs speak of it being a hard time - (otehikelo) and of warriors (akicita).

In today's pow wows I've seen these songs sung after flag songs, and also occasionally as honor songs for veterans being honored or having a special. Some of the older war party songs are very appropriate for men's traditional songs as well as they refer to that warrior tradition.

Just a few thoughts.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:07 AM   #3
Taskahoi Atsuti

LSS has a reputation beyond repute
LSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 278.94
Savings: 1.00
Where I sing (meaning who I sing with) dictates what songs are used and how they are used.

When songs like the old war dance songs are used, they are typically used for the Veterans Dance. Occassionally they may be pulled out for a Grand Entry. Mostly they are used for the mens dance or a kickin' intertribal. This is primarily done to "keep the songs alive".

LOL...to be honest with you...I think they're easier to remember than some of the newer songs these days.
To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!
LSS is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2006, 05:15 PM   #4
Gimpy Old Dancer

Hazben has a brilliant futureHazben has a brilliant futureHazben has a brilliant futureHazben has a brilliant futureHazben has a brilliant futureHazben has a brilliant futureHazben has a brilliant futureHazben has a brilliant futureHazben has a brilliant futureHazben has a brilliant future
Credits: 100.00
Savings: 461.90
At many of the powows around here (Ohio), there is a Veteran's honoring song following the Grand Entry and Flag Song. Lots of good ones out there. My favorite is the POW/MIA Song by the Medicine River Singers from Tenessee.
Hazben is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2006, 11:22 PM   #5
Drummer and Dancer

Brackett481 is an unknown quantity at this point
I am from Alabama. Most of the drums around this area sing a veterans song after the flag song, and at the end of the powwow. Many drums also have victory songs.

Many of the songs sung:
POW/MIA
Soldier Boy
WWI/WWII

There are also some modern songs to commerate Vietnam and the conflicts in the middle east.

I know I am a young guy, but I enjoy many of these new songs. I enjoy these songs and their meaning.
Brackett481 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-03-2006, 10:36 PM   #6
Southern Chummie

Niwiwan2005 is on a distinguished road
Veteran songs in the Great Lakes Region

WhoMe:

I'll send you some songs, words, meanings, and uses of Menominee Veteran songs.

Respectfully,

Niwiwan.
Niwiwan2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2006, 12:54 PM   #7
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,562.70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niwiwan2005
WhoMe:

I'll send you some songs, words, meanings, and uses of Menominee Veteran songs.

Respectfully,

Niwiwan.

Thank you Niwiwan,

I will look forward to receiving your gift.

Are you going to Denver March or The Gathering?

When are your dances in the Woodland Bowl?
Old 02-06-2006, 04:47 PM   #8
Southern Chummie

Niwiwan2005 is on a distinguished road
Menominee Pow-wows

WhoMe:

We have two pow-wows at woodland bowl. The first happens during the 3rd weekend in May. It is our annual Veteran's pow-wow. This year the pow-wow is honoring Women Veterans. The Host drum is our buds--the Five Clan Singers.

The second pow-wow is during the first weekend in August. This is our contest pow-wow. We won't be able to make Denver. Many of my singers work jobs which are hard to get time off on weekends. Consequently, we have to pick and choose our pow-wows.

Take care.

Niwiwan.
Niwiwan2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2006, 09:55 PM   #9
Taskahoi Atsuti

LSS has a reputation beyond repute
LSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 278.94
Savings: 1.00
I composed one in Tutelo about 9 months ago but we've never really sang it. Its a real good song that talks about all the warriors coming home from the War and thanking the Creator for bringing them home safely.

I guess it could be used as a Grand Entry....but definitely a Southern Straight song.
To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!
LSS is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links