Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Southern Singing Wanna Be's or could be's? Wanna Be's or could be's?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2003, 08:15 PM   #1
~*Southernz Elite*~

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
SBZ4life has a spectacular aura about
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Wanna Be's or could be's?

What is with these "hobbiest" powwow singers? Ive been powwowing around this area...no comment...but what do YALL think? should color matter? What if these "non-natives" can really jam....I know of a few non native who can flat out jam...but what if they just cant sing...What do yall think?

" say what I feel, I say what I think, I say what you do not like, Yet for some reason what I say is somewhat correct" Chief Big Beef 1999
SBZ4life is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2003, 08:50 PM   #2
Tiny Tot Dancer

paraivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond repute
Wouldn't that decision be handled by the head singer? If some wanabe singer shows up at the drum and it is discovered that he doesn't know what he is doing or can't sing, the head singer should have his chair removed and tell him that the drum is closed. Most non-indian singers that can "jam" are already known to the singing community. It shouldn't be too hard to screen out the ones that don't belong there. Just my 2 cents worth.
paraivo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2003, 10:53 PM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

BaloneySkin is an unknown quantity at this point
What about the ndn guy who comes out to the drum and doesn't know any songs ??

BaloneySkin is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2003, 12:56 AM   #4
Tiny Tot Dancer

paraivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond repute
That is still the head singer's call. Hopefully, he can distinquish between the one with the calling and the gift and needing to learn, from the one who is out there for himself or for personal gain.
Old 02-19-2003, 05:42 PM   #5
~*Southernz Elite*~

I know that were suppose to be at the center drum and what not, but sometimes theres someone who just dont have that talent..I believe if you dont have talent or the gift to sing you never will...somethings can not be taught and singing is one of them, Especially when they can not stay in beat..arrrr...OK~
BUT~What about these drum groups that are all white boys...I was at a powwow and these guys were whiter than milk and they were tyring to sing gourd dance...I just shook my head....What about those guys?

" say what I feel, I say what I think, I say what you do not like, Yet for some reason what I say is somewhat correct" Chief Big Beef 1999
Old 02-20-2003, 08:24 PM   #6
Tiny Tot Dancer

ndn_ave is an unknown quantity at this point
go help them out .................................AYE!
Old 02-21-2003, 05:31 PM   #7
~*Southernz Elite*~

I know that your not suppose to make fun of people at the drum,but Ive seen some horrific singing....maybe its just me,,,but I know its not. Any other comments..questions?

Old 02-22-2003, 12:27 AM   #8
Tiny Tot Dancer

You know if these guys are that bad, they will quit. Folks will not ask them to sing for their function, and if they are a bunch of young guys, Life will catch up with them and they will scatter. Time will take care of the issue one way or another. Let these white guys sing for the white guys. Like what was said before, help em out. Maybe they will get better or even good and your help caused it.
Old 02-25-2003, 04:41 PM   #9
Pow Wow Visitor

Dirty South is an unknown quantity at this point
I think, in my own opinion that if a non-native who knows the ways of the natives and knows all the songs and sings them right, should have a chance to sing and maybe earn some respect. Theres this one guy by the name of DREW, in Oklahoma that sings with various drum groups and sings out in the middle a lot. Hes a good singer. He earned his way to sit down with various people. If someone can do that than I guess its all good.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:33 PM   #10
Beth

Beth has a reputation beyond repute
Beth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond repute
Drew

He has studied for a long time. He has learned who, what, when, etc. I'm sure he is enjoying it out there.
Beth is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2003, 01:36 PM   #11
Junior Dancer

records_all_drumz has a reputation beyond reputerecords_all_drumz has a reputation beyond reputerecords_all_drumz has a reputation beyond reputerecords_all_drumz has a reputation beyond reputerecords_all_drumz has a reputation beyond reputerecords_all_drumz has a reputation beyond reputerecords_all_drumz has a reputation beyond reputerecords_all_drumz has a reputation beyond reputerecords_all_drumz has a reputation beyond reputerecords_all_drumz has a reputation beyond reputerecords_all_drumz has a reputation beyond reputerecords_all_drumz has a reputation beyond reputerecords_all_drumz has a reputation beyond reputerecords_all_drumz has a reputation beyond reputerecords_all_drumz has a reputation beyond reputerecords_all_drumz has a reputation beyond repute
Drew is that his name and I think I know who ya'll mean, anyway he might be the exception. But I am against non-natives singing. I won't go to no hobby fest either. Too many good NDN places to seek out.
records_all_drumz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2003, 02:50 PM   #12
=============

Kool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 580.34
Tigger... you said Drew is a really good singer FOR A NON NATIVE??? Drew Armstrong is a really good singer PERIOD. If I had to name a Native singer with skills comparable to Drew's, I would have to say Jimmy Kimble. Most guys don't even hold a candle to this guy.
Old 02-26-2003, 06:55 PM   #13
Pow Wow Visitor

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by Kool Breeze
Tigger... you said Drew is a really good singer FOR A NON NATIVE??? Drew Armstrong is a really good singer PERIOD. If I had to name a Native singer with skills comparable to Drew's, I would have to say Jimmy Kimble. Most guys don't even hold a candle to this guy.
Y'all goin TOO d**n far now !!!!!!

Besides....Drew needs a haircut !
Old 02-26-2003, 07:07 PM   #14
Junior Dancer

park has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond reputepark has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,308.63
LMAOROTF . . .

then got up only to fall down again!!!
park is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2003, 07:17 PM   #15
Pow Wow Visitor

Old 02-26-2003, 07:29 PM   #16
Tiny Tot Dancer

BrownHornet is on a distinguished road
Credits: 160.00
I agree, you all have gone too far. This whole singing area has become an area that uplifts certain singers and says nothing of the others. The only purpose it serves it to give some individuals and groups BIG HEADS.

Why don't we talk about all the ones that have gone before us to make this singing possible.

Sitting at the drum is not about how good your voice is, or who has the best lead, or who can sky.....yada yada yada. It's about being a servant. A servant of the dancers. Yeah I sing, I've been singing a pretty significant portion of my life. Does that make me any better than anybody...NO You know why? Because there is always somebody out there knows more than I do. There are new songs being made everyday and old ones that are being lost. I once heard someone say that if you think sitting at the drum puts you in a position of prominence, look again and you'll see a fool.

I have seen the name Jimmy Kemble on here several times. Do you think you"ll find him posting who's best on here? I'm not for sure but I bet you wont. Go talk to him, if he's not at the drum I bet you'll find him in the top of the bleachers sitting by himself. Talk about humble. While you're there ask him about all the un-written rules of the drum that are being lost. Ya know, the rules that you learn through experience of sitting with older knowledgeable singers. Ask him about getting up from the drum every 5 seconds, or throwing things over it, or acting up, or starting sings out of order, or starting too high, or hitting the drum when you're not singing, or eating, or not dressing neatly, or not singing, or any of the countless other things that seem to be commonplace at the drum these days.
Anyway, my point is, there is a lot to learn at the drum. It doesn't come overnight. I think one of the most valuable lessons is humility. I know this post wasn't about the topic but I've been wanting to say something for a while. I hope it helps.

Brown Hornet

Last edited by BrownHornet; 02-26-2003 at 07:42 PM..
BrownHornet is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2003, 09:09 PM   #17
=============

Kool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 580.34
I haven't seen Drew in a while so I don't know anything about him needing a trim. Get that fro trimmed up! LOL!

Last edited by Paul G; 02-26-2003 at 10:44 PM..
Kool Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2003, 10:38 PM   #18
~*Southernz Elite*~

Drew is an awsome singer,no doubt. I was wanting to know about these HOBBIEST singers,what yall thought about them...and that is right...There are so many things that younger singers do(including myself) that are not right around the drum. Why were these ways lost or why are we losing them? is it the younger guys fault? is it the older guys fault for not enforcing the rules? When is a good time for a "young" person to go out to the drum and learn these ways? Brown Hornet made some really great points...

Old 02-26-2003, 10:50 PM   #19
Pow Wow Visitor

DungHill is an unknown quantity at this point
Hmmm,

Lets see, the last time i saw Drew, which was last week, he had very short hair.

You all think he can sing, you ouoghta see him dance!
DungHill is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2003, 01:03 AM   #20
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Let's see, the last time i saw Drew, which was last week, he had very short hair.
DUH !!!!! It was a joke, son.....I say, A JOKE !!!

Quote:
You all think he can sing, you ouoghta see him dance!
His legs are too short !!!