Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Southern Singing Whatcha' think? Whatcha' think?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2007, 05:19 PM   #1
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,582.70
Savings: 0.00
Whatcha' think?

What do you think about a southern drum passing each lead to another person?

Good or bad?
Old 09-04-2007, 08:26 PM   #2
Pow Wow Visitor

doubledown is on a distinguished road
Credits: 90.00
If a Southern Drum passes each lead then it becomes a contemporary thing.

So does a LOUD and FAST drumming...

Now if you were to ask if a different person starts a new song each time asked..well thats different.

Please don't ask if this is so and so....
doubledown is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2007, 10:59 PM   #3
Taskahoi Atsuti

LSS has a reputation beyond repute
LSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 278.94
Savings: 1.00
Have you thought about this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post

Good or bad?
This really depends on what your looking for. If you are judging a group on correctness/protocal,...then I would have to say passing each individual lead should be discouraged. It was mentioned by doubledown about contemporary...in the more modern world...where "drum groups" are a more common thing, especially singing in contest where the judges may not be very familiar with southern ways....only structure and sound quality...then they may be compelled to "do what you gotta do" to get by. It was like an Elder told me once about learning another tribe/nations language...the more familiar you are with others ways (i.e. language) the more important you become.

If you're gonna critique a drum on protocal/southern ways, then put them in a scenario that is conducive to those ways and see what they give you! Only this would be a true test.

LSS
To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!
LSS is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2007, 12:53 AM   #4
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
When I judge a southern singing contest, I look for the lead, second, voice quality, sycronization and adherance to southern ways.

There are good southern drums that have adopted contemporary ways by passing the lead each verse. This is fine .... for a contemporary singing contest.

But to me, that would be an equal infraction as trying to sing high pitched northern style, in a southern singing contest.

If you're in a southern singing contest, shouldn't you be judged on southern protocol?

Anyone?
Old 09-05-2007, 02:52 AM   #5
Pow Wow Committee

Items DollElephantDolphin
LISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond repute
LISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 30,701.42
Savings: 2.03
Talking

well, I think it is time for me to go to bed, right brotha, ??? sorry, jus had 2 throw that in derr........sorry brotha........
Old 09-05-2007, 08:54 AM   #6
Holy Indian Taco Batman!

hobbs49 has a reputation beyond repute
hobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 49.99
I think, in a powwow setting, that 99% of the time, southern drums should not pass the lead around push-up to push-up. I think that during practice, it's good to do some passing of the lead just to get everyone comfortable with leading songs. For some of us, we're ok with singing in a group, but it is a bit of a hurdle for us to step out and sing on our own. There can be many reasons for this.

In a powwow situation, I would expect that the 1% of the time when a lead may be passed are...

1) If the person leading the song is having problems, such as late in the powwow and the voice is giving way for some reason.
2) A person who didn't start the song is really getting into it and requests to take the lead. (This should be rare and only occur when someone is really overcome with the song.)
3) I think that there may be special songs or special occassions where there is a desire to "share" the good feelings coming from the song/drum and by passing the lead it can pull *everyone* deeper into the moment.

These three reasons are the only time that I have really seen leads passed at a southern drum. Is it valid even in those situations? I don't know, I'm only Hobbs49, but it seems reasonable as long as it's a rare occurance and in the later two reasons, it normally has the desired effect of a very emotionally good time.

Just my thoughts on that.
hobbs49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2007, 09:19 AM   #7
Pow Wow Visitor

LITTLE DOG is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 0.00
Talking

WHEN WE CONTEST WE USE ONLY ONE LEAD SINGER BUT IF WE HAVE LEAD SINGERS FROM OTHER GROUPS COME OVER FOR A KICKING SONG WE MAY LET EACH ONE LEAD AS THEY ARE HONORING THE SONG AND US BY COMING TO HELP WITH THIS SONG THATS MOVED THEM BUT LIKE I SAID NOT IN CONTEST
LITTLE DOG is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2007, 09:32 AM   #8
Holy Indian Taco Batman!

hobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post

Good or bad?
I remember someone once said...

"Indians no longer live like their ancestors, therefore new approaches, combined with ancient traditions, are developed to fit the times."

So maybe this is just one of those new approaches...
Old 09-07-2007, 12:14 PM   #9
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs49 View Post
I remember someone once said...

"Indians no longer live like their ancestors, therefore new approaches, combined with ancient traditions, are developed to fit the times."

So maybe this is just one of those new approaches...

Alright.

You're right.

But this quote is more in line with wearing underwear when you dance.

It's good to know somebody actually reads my signature.

Last edited by WhoMe; 09-07-2007 at 12:17 PM..
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2007, 03:27 PM   #10
Insert Image Here

SmokeEater has a reputation beyond repute
SmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 261.80
I like passed leads, as much as I like passed northern style honor beats on a southern drum. (I don't)
Old 09-10-2007, 03:41 PM   #11
Holy Indian Taco Batman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
I like passed leads, as much as I like passed northern style honor beats on a southern drum. (I don't)
Hey SmokeEater! Hope things are going well for you over in Iraq! You keeping your troops healthy?
Old 09-11-2007, 12:01 AM   #12
Tiny Tot Dancer

Mazola is a name known to all
Credits: 0.00
I was raised around some old time singers back in the old country "OKLAHOMA" and I was always advised by these elders that if you are going to be a head singer of a drum that you never pass the lead the reason being because that family or organization asked YOU to be their host drum, head singer. I feel its a good thing if you have another singer or singers that can lead but when you sing southern it's all on you if you can't hold up leading for an entire weekend than perhaps you shouldn't be leading songs just my opinion and like they say what opinions are like and we all have one.