PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Southern Singing (http://forums.powwows.com/f19/)
-   -   Word song annunciation (http://forums.powwows.com/f19/word-song-annunciation-31810/)

Ron S 02-14-2006 01:04 PM

Word song annunciation

When singing those old songs, do you prefer to sing them the way they sound on old recordings or do you prefer to annunciate the words? What sounds best in your opinion?

Wojapi4Me 02-14-2006 01:09 PM

Older word songs are slurred a lot more than today's word songs. The newer words songs gained popularity in Canada back in the 1980s and are much more enunciated. I like both equally, but when singing old songs I sing them the old way. Sing the songs the way they were composed.

Ron S 02-14-2006 02:08 PM

Agreed Singerdad. I much prefer the sound of the old songs when somewhat slurred.

Having said that, even the old songs have changed some over time. Case in point: When Earl Fenner recorded his interviews with Harry Buffalohead back in the 80's, Harry stated on several occassions that some songs are now being sung differently from the way the old people sang them. In one case he stated that a word being used made no sense and in a couple others the language had changed since the time of his grandfather. So even if we sing in the original style, in some cases we may still not be singing the songs as originally composed. Sorry, I think I just drifted into a whole new thread.

tsuj510 02-14-2006 02:29 PM

Old way. Period.

I try to get ahold of a recording and then search for lyrics amoung other singers, then translate it, so I know what I am singing. I should state that I never sing a song without permission and that I was raised to stick to the old ways, only..

Wojapi4Me 02-14-2006 02:53 PM

First off...let me apologize for even posting to this thread...I didn't even realize it was in the southern singing thread...something I know very little about. My reply was based on northern singing. With those songs, the languages are still intact so they haven't changed.

suthernwaterbird 02-14-2006 04:33 PM

Quote:

Old way. Period. I try to get ahold of a recording and then search for lyrics amoung other singers, then translate it, so I know what I am singing. I should state that I never sing a song without permission and that I was raised to stick to the old ways, only..
I agree. Songs were made a certain way, to mean certain things, and as we all know any given language has enough dialects in itself to create an entirley diferent language. So one word could mean good, and then be mispronounced as a word that means somthing bad. But not as much that as, when the composers made those songs, them old ones put a certain feeling into that song, and if we lose that, we lose the song in whole. There were events that happened that caused them old ones to make these songs. And when they hear their songs sung right, they feel it. Them songs bring them old ones back to life.

LSS 02-14-2006 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Singerdad
First off...let me apologize for even posting to this thread...I didn't even realize it was in the southern singing thread...something I know very little about. My reply was based on northern singing. With those songs, the languages are still intact so they haven't changed.

Dad,

No apologies needed. Your experiences say enough...

Having said that, I think Ron S made a valid point when referring to the recordings of Harry Buffalohead. What I have found around the drum is the attempt to keep the old ways. Now, this is not to say that some people (I'm not calling any names) do not try to become particular with the words. Those Ponca, Pawnee and Comanche boys I sing with from time to time always tell me "Thats it! Just make sure you keep that slur like the old guys!"

Personally, I find more guys pullin' up a chair when I start up a good "soulfull" song.