Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Southern Singing Your First Drum Experience Your First Drum Experience

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2007, 01:36 AM   #1
Singer/ Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
RedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond repute
RedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 369.00
Savings: 1.00
Your First Drum Experience

I liked cakewalks idea for a new thread about what was your first experience singing like...

For me... I started out as a northern singer (yes... I'll admit it... LOL) I showed up at the local center, and was just there to hang out while the drum practiced... I was kind of hanging back on the side of the room and the drum keeper just looked at me as I was there to watch... I wasn't gonna intrude I just wanted to hear some singing...

I stood there for about five minutes, and Tim (who I had known for years) grabbed a stick and waved me over with it... I had never sang before but knew how to keep a beat and had been singing with my pow wow tapes for years... I sat down, started singing and was invited out to sing with them that weekend... the rest was history...

As for my first southern singing experience, it kinda went the same way... I was sitting with my drum and was asked to come over and set at a drum with a pretty respected southern singer in the area, I went over, sang a song and reached in my pocket when we were done and put five bucks on the drum and shook everyone's hand when I was done, later I was at a pow wow and my wife was head dancer, I was doing some beading just hanging out for a change, and Sterling called my wife over... she then beelined for me and said... you've been summoned... I was like what? she said... Sterling just asked me to ask you... is he gonna sit over there all day and sew or is he gonna help me out!... I dropped what I was doing... grabbed a stick and set next to him the rest of the weekend... I learned more in one day from that man than I had the several years I had been singing combined... every time I was around him from then on, I'd stop what I was doing and help him out, when I ended up forming my own drum later on, I carried a lot of those teachings over to the new drum... he is one guy I will probably miss the rest of my life... good times man... good times!

Paselo~
Old 03-19-2007, 05:10 PM   #2
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,582.70
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShield View Post
....what was your first experience singing like...

My first experience singing?

I think I was a baby with a rubber twosided minnetonka drum.

.... well you asked? *L
Old 03-19-2007, 11:44 PM   #3
CakeWalk Champion

cakewalk has a reputation beyond reputecakewalk has a reputation beyond reputecakewalk has a reputation beyond reputecakewalk has a reputation beyond reputecakewalk has a reputation beyond reputecakewalk has a reputation beyond reputecakewalk has a reputation beyond reputecakewalk has a reputation beyond reputecakewalk has a reputation beyond reputecakewalk has a reputation beyond reputecakewalk has a reputation beyond reputecakewalk has a reputation beyond reputecakewalk has a reputation beyond reputecakewalk has a reputation beyond reputecakewalk has a reputation beyond reputecakewalk has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post
My first experience singing?

I think I was a baby with a rubber twosided minnetonka drum.

.... well you asked? *L
lol....
Old 03-27-2007, 06:48 PM   #4
Teen Dancer

travelingmocs has a reputation beyond repute
travelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond repute
Boy, music has always been in my life, and when I first heard powwow music I fell in love. Northern, Southern had to hear it all. Some people I had met who sang northern invited me to sit in with them and I was blown away. Then I started singing with a southern group that was located in my home town, and 13 years later I have had a wonderful opertunity to sing with some of the best singers, and I have been very honerd to have those memories in my head.

TMS
Old 03-29-2007, 04:21 PM   #5
Pow Wow Visitor

youngster is an unknown quantity at this point
travelingmocs are u singing yet or are you still watchin everybody else sing?
youngster is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2007, 02:54 PM   #6
nobody

suthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 394.00
ma first...drum was ma dads boat...
Old 03-31-2007, 10:47 PM   #7
Powwow Sound 4 U

TKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond repute
TKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 603.09
Wow Red! How thoughtful of you to make me start thinking. You know my brain has more rust then my car. I can't remember the first drum I ever sat at but I can tell you about the day I got my butt kicked so to speak.

I was at a powwow where Bird Chopper was the host drum. The next think I knew Logan ( we all know Logan and his pranks) took me under the drum arbor and planted me at the drum. Rick Bird then took a stick out of his bag and handed it to me. I knew enough to just use the rim to work out the patterns and honor beats. After that song Rick Bird yelled at me telling me if I was going to sit at his family drum then I better hit the drum and not the rim. He told me that this was powwow and not practice. The next song I sung my heart out and hit every (well almost every, well half maybe) beat. By the time the drum was finished with me, I was frozen in my seat with no voice left. These guys kicked my butt at the drum and never touched me. LOL I was then told to learn at least one Bird Chopper song before I was allowed to sit at the drum again. The next powwow Rick and I crossed paths at, I was pulled to the drum and had to sing the entire song I learned before they would allow me to sit down. Talk about putting someone on the spot. I did the song with some mistakes. The next think I knew, the drum did that song and the lead was passed to me. I blew it BIGTIME!!!!!! LOL!!!

It's better to fly with the eagles then drive with the turkeys.

Duct tape has a light side and dark side that binds our universe together.

Bad attatude lessons available here. To inquire, Check the box to the right. []

Last edited by TKMJ Productions; 03-31-2007 at 10:48 PM.. Reason: spelling
TKMJ Productions is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2007, 02:18 PM   #8
pimpin out n.tradish

thurmand is an unknown quantity at this point
my rirst drum/danceing experence was with aracoma lightning
i just showed up one day and it looked fun so iv ben doing it sinse that was about a year ago and iv ben traveling with them evry chance i get im part of the team
thurmand is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2007, 07:03 PM   #9
Some Kinda Monster

Str8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 919.64
Quote:
Originally Posted by suthernwaterbird View Post
ma first...drum was ma dads boat...

GAAAAWT DANG that wuz funny!
Old 04-09-2007, 10:51 PM   #10
Fat Singer

billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
I was introduced by a friend to the only drum in the area that sang Lakota songs. The same songs that I had been singing on my own for the previous few years from tapes. I learned a lot from those guys and still sing with a few of them 10+ years later. Been many places and met many people.

My powwow and singing friends are pretty much the only ones Ive got. Its nice to know that wherever I go in the country there is someone I know.
Really smart people who think they are smart.
billyjoejimbob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2007, 01:22 AM   #11
Junior Dancer

SeaHawk is just really nice
I started out singing Northern with a Lakota drum in the Seattle area. That was really scary. It took a while to actually learn the language or at least those vocables and words to the songs. I was always afraid that someone was going to come and question me... Hey you, what were you singing?? Where did you learn that?? The Lead singer and the Drum Keeper were relatives, so I knew they had my back. Anyway, I sang with them every weekend for about 2 to 3 years. Years later, I moved back home and got with some guys that sang Southern. Realizing that the high notes were no where to be found, I took to Southern. Last year, a buddy and I made our drum, got some guys and now we are keeping busy.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:32 PM   #12
nobody

suthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 394.00
Who do u sing with now?
Old 04-12-2007, 10:41 PM   #13
Junior Dancer

SeaHawk is just really nice
I sing with Fox Tail.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:29 PM   #14
Tiny Tot Dancer

kguerito is a glorious beacon of light
i also started out too as a northern singer. i was invited by a good friend from sweatlodge. so i went and i was hooked. then one evening the guy who pours for the sweat invited me to sing with a southern drum in oakland. i went and made good friends with them. then, a year later i met ricky learoy and that's where my real teaching began. sing with rick, i got the honor to sing with Miller Clark and Thunder Hill.
i love to sing gourd!

Last edited by kguerito; 04-14-2007 at 07:36 PM..
kguerito is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2007, 10:05 AM   #15
I don't do this for fun!

TacO5000 has a reputation beyond repute
TacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 232.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguerito View Post
i also started out too as a northern singer. i was invited by a good friend from sweatlodge. so i went and i was hooked. then one evening the guy who pours for the sweat invited me to sing with a southern drum in oakland. i went and made good friends with them. then, a year later i met ricky learoy and that's where my real teaching began. sing with rick, i got the honor to sing with Miller Clark and Thunder Hill.
i love to sing gourd!
NOT THEE RICKY LEROY!!:eek:
Old 04-16-2007, 01:02 PM   #16
Tiny Tot Dancer

kguerito is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacO5000 View Post
NOT THEE RICKY LEROY!!:eek:
yeap, the one and only
kguerito is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2007, 02:27 PM   #17
SNAGNOMETRY 101

1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute
first time

my first time was a bit awkward for me...emotions were high, it was getting messy, and before I knew it, it was over! oh oops....i guess i shouldve read the thread a little closer lol jks jks
Old 04-17-2007, 07:52 PM   #18
Taskahoi Atsuti

LSS has a reputation beyond repute
LSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 278.94
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badazzndn View Post
my first time was a bit awkward for me...emotions were high, it was getting messy, and before I knew it, it was over! oh oops....i guess i shouldve read the thread a little closer lol jks jks
Well dude...your story is better than mine....I didn't even make it to the ol' circle!....lol....

Wait...that was a movie I saw! AP!

LSS
To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!
LSS is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links