PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Tipis (http://forums.powwows.com/f20/)
-   -   Bison Hide Tipis (http://forums.powwows.com/f20/bison-hide-tipis-31443/)

WhoMe 01-23-2006 05:20 PM

Bison Hide Tipis
 
Antiquated bison hide tipis are extremely rare, mainly because most have deteriorated or because canvas and cow hide replaced bison hide tipis during the reservation era.

I have heard there are only approximately 23 old bison hide tipis known to exist. I don't know how true that statement is, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Where are some of these tipis located?

tipis 01-23-2006 08:39 PM

:shades_sm there are more than 23 from what i am hearing now. Ken Woody and Mike Terry will be having a book out this year or so on Buffalo hide tipis. There are about 6 hide tipi makers that I know of making lodges at this time. They are rare today because of the cost and the wieght of setting them up.

Oh! forgot. Cloth tipis were replacing hide tipis as early as the late 1840s. They were more portable, translusent and easy to set up.

WhoMe 01-24-2006 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tipis
:shades_sm there are more than 23 from what i am hearing now. Ken Woody and Mike Terry will be having a book out this year or so on Buffalo hide tipis. There are about 6 hide tipi makers that I know of making lodges at this time. They are rare today because of the cost and the wieght of setting them up.

Oh! forgot. Cloth tipis were replacing hide tipis as early as the late 1840s. They were more portable, translusent and easy to set up.


tipis,

I will be looking forward to the Woody/Terry book that is coming out. Any idea on it's release date?

The 23 tipis I am referring to are "Antiquated (Antiques)" tipis before ca. 1880's reservation period.

Is there any truth that there are only approximately 23 that are known to exist from before this time period?

Where are some of these tipis located?

What is the value for a 17 ft. Lakota tipi (with pictorials) that is in good shape?

__


Also why is the spelling different? ie. Tipi, teepee, Tee Pee? Why do you prefer tipi?

tipis 01-24-2006 12:09 PM

I am talking before 1880.....the new ones are poping up in Europe. Now that the "wall" is down, new collections are starting to show up in small museums and privately owned ones. Will not give specifics because of the their new book.

The new book will probably be out the end of this year or early next....along with mine.....we all hope.

As for the tipi you describe, price depends on how old, who made it, what comes with it, condition, and the cover design? :thumbsup:

WhoMe 01-24-2006 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tipis
I am talking before 1880.....the new ones are poping up in Europe. Now that the "wall" is down, new collections are starting to show up in small museums and privately owned ones. Will not give specifics because of the their new book.

The new book will probably be out the end of this year or early next....along with mine.....we all hope.

As for the tipi you describe, price depends on how old, who made it, what comes with it, condition, and the cover design? :thumbsup:


tipis,

I look forward to the book of the two authors and your book. What are they going to be called?

Where I work, we have a beautiful pre1860 Lakota tipi. It has over 100 pictographs on it. In relaying information to the public, I will stick to my orientation of 23 known pre-reservation bison hide tipis in existance.....

"until I get more updated information from your books" *L

tipis 01-24-2006 04:42 PM

Which museum it this.......I may know allready. Is it in the Dakotas??? or Washington DC?

My book will be called:

Tipis-Tepees-Teepees: A study in the history, construction and evolution of the cloth tipi.

As for the the other....I think it will be

Buffalo Hide Tipis

WhoMe 01-24-2006 04:56 PM

Tipis, Tepees, Teepees,

Thanks for the info. I am not much of a book reader, but I will look for these two books when they come out!

Let me know when the release date is so I can inform our bookstore to purchase copies.

tipis 01-24-2006 07:21 PM

Hey definitely.....my book will make many changes in the Laubin book of tipis that is the standard for the last 60 years.

whirlwind 01-26-2006 08:32 AM

Is that the one in Oklahoma State Historical Museum in OK City?

That one is pretty darned nice, even though it's displayed in really poor light.

Ken Weidner

PS I agree with Tipis that there are more than 23 examples still around, but I am not sure of the actual number. But regardless there are NOT very many left out of the tens of thousands of them that were made in the old days.

WhoMe 01-26-2006 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whirlwind
Is that the one in Oklahoma State Historical Museum in OK City?

That one is pretty darned nice, even though it's displayed in really poor light.

Ken Weidner

PS I agree with Tipis that there are more than 23 examples still around, but I am not sure of the actual number. But regardless there are NOT very many left out of the tens of thousands of them that were made in the old days.

Ken,

Will your book list where some of these pre-1800 Bison hide tipis are located?

Will there be some new locations of previously undocumented tipis in the eastern block collections, be listed in your book?

whirlwind 01-26-2006 02:12 PM

Sure I'll have it all listed out.

Only trouble is that I'm Ken Weidner, and Ken Woody is the one working on the hide tipi book. You'd have to ask him.

Take care.

Ken Weidner

PS Are you refering to the tipi in OK City in your earlier post?

WhoMe 01-26-2006 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whirlwind
Sure I'll have it all listed out.

Only trouble is that I'm Ken Weidner, and Ken Woody is the one working on the hide tipi book. You'd have to ask him.

Take care.

Ken Weidner

PS Are you refering to the tipi in OK City in your earlier post?



Ken,


check your PM

WhoMe 01-26-2006 05:08 PM

Tipis and Ken,


Do you know of any institution that would loan their southern plains pre 1880 bison hide tipi, in exchange for a northern plains one?

tipis 01-26-2006 06:33 PM

Sorry, I do not know of one. The way many museums are now, some of us are lucky to even get a photo of an object--try talking to the higher ups who run things.

What museum are you with? :confused:

Linda Holley :angel:

whirlwind 01-26-2006 09:10 PM

Tipis

She wrote me and and said it was the OK City one.

So Who Me, do you know Jeff Moore?

Ken Weidner

WhoMe 01-27-2006 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whirlwind
So Who Me, do you know Jeff Moore?


Yes, we know of each other. What does he do?

whirlwind 01-27-2006 11:18 PM

Jeff is the curator of collections at the Oklahoma Historical Society Museum in OK City.

Good guy.

Take care.

Ken Weidner

PS Have you seen the new exhibits there?

WhoMe 01-30-2006 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whirlwind
Jeff is the curator of collections at the Oklahoma Historical Society Museum in OK City.

Good guy.

Take care.

Ken Weidner

PS Have you seen the new exhibits there?


Ken,

Hmmmm? I thought he was Director of Exhibits?

Anyway, I have heard the new exhibits were nice.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright 2006, PowWows.com, LLC