Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > General Crafts > Tipis If it were about your nation..... If it were about your nation.....

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2005, 12:52 AM   #1
BELIEVER

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
suzyq has a reputation beyond reputesuzyq has a reputation beyond reputesuzyq has a reputation beyond reputesuzyq has a reputation beyond reputesuzyq has a reputation beyond reputesuzyq has a reputation beyond reputesuzyq has a reputation beyond reputesuzyq has a reputation beyond reputesuzyq has a reputation beyond reputesuzyq has a reputation beyond reputesuzyq has a reputation beyond reputesuzyq has a reputation beyond reputesuzyq has a reputation beyond reputesuzyq has a reputation beyond reputesuzyq has a reputation beyond reputesuzyq has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Question If it were about your nation.....

My family just purchased the historical Tee Pee Motel in Wharton, Texas and we are in the process of renovating them to re-open in the Spring. Without offending anyone or sounding disrespectful, I would like your opinion on some things we would like to do. Since our grandmother was 1/2 Cherokee, we would like them to be more about history and culture than a cool place to stay the night. The 11 Tipis were made of concrete/stucco in 1942 and have been empty since 1988 I believe. We are completely redoing the interior and repainting the outside of them.

Texas has a vast amount of history on the Native Americans and I know that all is extremely important, but not all of it is portrayed or taught correctly in our public schools or our library books. I have done extensive research and find myself just overwhelmed with it all. Does anyone have a book they would suggest my reading that is accurate?

We want to include portriates of famous Chiefs and Warriors in each of them for ten of the original tribes in Texas in the 1800's. My entire life I have admired and respected them and believe they should never be forgotten by any race.

Items that we would love to display in the rooms are well worth the money to purchase, but afraid someone would walk off with them. If we can find a way to secure them, what would you want displayed?

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my post and hopefully give me your ideas or opinions.
suzyq is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2005, 09:16 AM   #2
PowWows.com Addicts

drinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond repute
drinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 9,468.08
Savings: 1.00
air conditioning would be great...if it's to be a "cool" place-j/k

seriously, i don't have anything else to add

Smilies is not my 1st Language
drinkingfromysaucer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2005, 01:02 PM   #3
Cloud Dancer

AngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond repute
AngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyq
My family just purchased the historical Tee Pee Motel in Wharton, Texas and we are in the process of renovating them to re-open in the Spring. Without offending anyone or sounding disrespectful, I would like your opinion on some things we would like to do. Since our grandmother was 1/2 Cherokee, we would like them to be more about history and culture than a cool place to stay the night. The 11 Tipis were made of concrete/stucco in 1942 and have been empty since 1988 I believe. We are completely redoing the interior and repainting the outside of them.

Texas has a vast amount of history on the Native Americans and I know that all is extremely important, but not all of it is portrayed or taught correctly in our public schools or our library books. I have done extensive research and find myself just overwhelmed with it all. Does anyone have a book they would suggest my reading that is accurate?

We want to include portriates of famous Chiefs and Warriors in each of them for ten of the original tribes in Texas in the 1800's. My entire life I have admired and respected them and believe they should never be forgotten by any race.

Items that we would love to display in the rooms are well worth the money to purchase, but afraid someone would walk off with them. If we can find a way to secure them, what would you want displayed?

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my post and hopefully give me your ideas or opinions.
I think what youre doing is really neat and that you are being aware of the fact that Native culture and history isnt being taught or written about correctly. I really like the Idea of paying tribute to the Chiefs and that may be something you want to go with. I am not from texas and do not have alot knowledge of the original tribes there but i think the ideas which youre generating are very good ones. Keep researching and asking questions, maybe even visit a reservation in your area and talk to the original people of that area, what better way to get the straight facts then from the ancestors of the people you want to pay tribute to, this may also act as way of respecting them by visiting them instead of just relying on books and second hand information which could turn up to be flase then offending the people that you want to pay homage to.
thats all i can suggest
AngelFeather is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2005, 01:20 PM   #4
Member since March 2000.

Mr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 60.00
Savings: 1.00
Talk a stroll thru the San Antonio Sea World sculture garden, over near the pool section of the park....it's loaded with some great statues of some of the tribes that resided in Texas.

or just do some research online about the indians in Texas. Look for historical figures that had a hand in shaping the indian history of Texas, both past and Present.

I think the Karankawan, Tonkawan, or Coahuiltecan, are original Texas inhabitants, way near the Texas-Mexico Border, the Bidai, the Anadarko, Alabama, Akokisa, Biloxi, Caddo, Cherokee, Choctaw, Isleta Del Sur, Kichai, and then of course you have the more recent, Comanche and Kiowas.

....there's more....I'm sure!

"When the God's wish to punish us, they grant our prayers."

O. Wilde
Mr Bo Jangles is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2005, 09:56 PM   #5
BELIEVER

suzyq has a reputation beyond reputesuzyq has a reputation beyond reputesuzyq has a reputation beyond reputesuzyq has a reputation beyond reputesuzyq has a reputation beyond reputesuzyq has a reputation beyond reputesuzyq has a reputation beyond reputesuzyq has a reputation beyond reputesuzyq has a reputation beyond reputesuzyq has a reputation beyond reputesuzyq has a reputation beyond reputesuzyq has a reputation beyond reputesuzyq has a reputation beyond reputesuzyq has a reputation beyond reputesuzyq has a reputation beyond reputesuzyq has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

I have never been to Sea World but that's a great idea! Thank you so much for your info. Feedback like this is what I was wanting. I have actually e-mailed the contacts from several websites trying to set up a meeting with someone, but Alabama-Coushatta in Livingston, Tx. is the only reply that I received. We will be going to their Pow - Wow next week for sure and they are going to give us literature to hand out to our guests. I was beginning to think that maybe I had ask in an inappropriate way or somehow unintentionally insulted someone.

Not only do I think there is a vast amount of "incorrect" history, but I think the Native American Indian history is extremely lacking in our world today and that is another focus of ours.

Another question regarding the history, do you think it inappropriate for us to do something for Native American History month? Any suggestions?

Again, thank you so very much for your input!
Old 01-31-2005, 10:08 PM   #6
*~the REAL me~*

Joe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond repute
Joe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond repute
SusieQ....this isn't to answer your questions, but my memory seems to recall that there were more than one site of these teepee motels, and one was located in/near cave city, Kentucky...have you ever heard of that one? wonder if it's still there?
C
Joe G is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2005, 11:06 PM   #7
BELIEVER

There are actually three other "Wig Wam" motels as they are called in the United States and yes, one is in Kentucky. Back in the 40's there were quite of few of them. In fact, at that time there were like 4 in Texas. Now, this one is the only one left in Texas. If you would like to read more about them, there is an article on TexasLiquid.com with pictures.

Thanks,
Susie
Old 01-31-2005, 11:14 PM   #8
*~the REAL me~*

Joe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond repute
Joe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond repute
Great, thanks! good luck with your efforts...
Old 01-31-2005, 11:21 PM   #9
*~the REAL me~*

[QUOTE=suzyq]There are actually three other "Wig Wam" motels as they are called in the United States and yes, one is in Kentucky. Back in the 40's there were quite of few of them. In fact, at that time there were like 4 in Texas. Now, this one is the only one left in Texas. If you would like to read more about them, there is an article on TexasLiquid.com with pictures.

Susie, I tried that site Texas.liquid.com...and it's a fertilizer company site...so something 'smells' with it!
Old 02-01-2005, 09:18 AM   #10
BELIEVER

I'm sorry, it should be www.texasliquidtravel.org.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:31 AM   #11
Cloud Dancer

AngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond repute
AngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond repute
that link doesn't work either...
AngelFeather is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2005, 09:34 PM   #12
BELIEVER

Is it still Monday? I'm sorry, it is: www.liquidtravel.org
Old 02-01-2005, 09:36 PM   #13
*~the REAL me~*

Well, the fertilizer one was funny! what are the chances of that?
Cool! I found it...when I was young, my family was poor, (hell we drove from Michigan to Tennessee and slept 6 people in the car!) so we never stayed in these (in Ky) but I never forgot them.
Hope this works out well for you!
C

Last edited by colonah04; 02-01-2005 at 09:49 PM..
Old 02-01-2005, 10:32 PM   #14
BELIEVER

Thanks for the words of encouragement. When we are out there working on them people will stop by just to check them out. I think there would be a linching if we had taken them down! They truly are a landmark and too beautiful to tear down.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:46 PM   #15
BELIEVER

Have a great day!

Last edited by suzyq; 02-18-2005 at 09:29 AM..
Old 02-25-2005, 08:15 PM   #16
Experienced

Historian has a reputation beyond repute
Historian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.14
Lightbulb My 2 cents worth.

SuzyQ,
One thing you may want to consider, is that although there have been, and in some cases still are, many different tribes that have lived or are living in Texas, not all of them were tribes that made use of the Tipi. If you want to be sensative to Tribal Cultures of the area, you may want to focus on tribes such as the Tonkawa, Comanche and Kiowa that did use Tipis for their dwellings.

A second thing to consider, is that any photograph you may come across showing Tipi's with painted symbols, usually had a very special significance that I would not suggest trying to duplicate on your Tipi Motel exteriors or even on the interiors. A plain white exterior is probably going to be the best suggestion I can offer, if you are looking to be authentic.

As far as what to put inside the Tipi Units for decoration, that would depend on how much you are looking to invest. I can suggest a good supplier of authentic Plains Culture Art and Artifact Reproductions, called Prairie Edge Trading Company and Gallery. Although their focus is on Northern Plains Tribes, you can get the idea of the types of the items that might be available for some of the Southern Plains Tribes in your area. Their website is: http://www.prairieedge.com/

Lastly, if you want to learn more about Tipi's, may I suggest you pick up a copy of a very good book on the subject.
The Indian Tipi: It's History, Construction and Use, by Reginald and Gladys Laubin with Stanley Vestal, University of Oklahoma Press, Second Edition, September 1989.

Just to let you know:
The original Wigwam Village Motel #1 was built in Horse Cave, Kentucky in 1935 and is no longer in use. However, Wigwam Village Motel #2 is still in use in Cave City, Kentucky and you can go to their website at: http://www.wigwamvillage.com/

Just a side note:
"Wigwam" is actually a Northeastern Algonquian term for a dome shaped dwelling made from shingled layers of bark or woven reed mats attached to a framework of bent saplings and has nothing to do with the Lakota term for a their portable buffalohide and later canvas tent called a "Tipi."

BTW:
You can spend a night in an actual Lakota style Tipi at the Minnekahta Tipi Village at Allen Ranch in Hot Springs, South Dakota. Each Tipi sleeps six and is $25/night.

"Be good, be kind, help each other."
"Respect the ground, respect the drum, respect each other."

--Abe Conklin, Ponca/Osage (1926-1995)

Last edited by Historian; 02-25-2005 at 08:46 PM..
Historian is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2005, 10:28 AM   #17
Pow Wow Visitor

Leaping Duck is an unknown quantity at this point
I have been down that section of highway many times and always thought it would be cool to see them restored. They were in bad shape last I saw it, but I am sure ya'll know all about it. There is a serious lack of knowledge in the coastal plains of TX. There is almost zero eveidence of history and the story of the Karankawas is almost gone forever. The lower Colorado basin was a very active site during winter, when the migrating buffalo herds pushed all the way to Matagorda. There are large camps all along the river for it's entire length. Tonkawa tribes were the ones longest associated with that region. Where my place is, near San marcos is the community point in TX where all tribes came together in peace for the sacred spring(which is now and amusement park and crappy golf course ) and the northern edges of Tonkawa roaming. Keep us updated and pics are always nice. Good luck and I promise to stop in when completed.
Leaping Duck is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2005, 11:42 AM   #18
BELIEVER

Historian - Thank you so much for your help, it is greatly appreciated. I continue to do extensive research on everything we do for this project to make sure it is accurate and does not offend anyone. Part of this research and study is the dwellings of the tribes. Thank you also for the book suggestion. I will be getting it to read.

We will not duplicate any tipi paintings whatsoever! It is not our intentions to copy anything. We have total respect for the Native American Indian. That's why I have posted this thread, to make sure we do this right.

I also thank you for the link to prarieedge.com. One of the many great websites I have found with authentic items. As far as the cost, I don't think there is a limit. Our biggest problem is securing the items in the rooms to make sure they are available for all to see and not demean the display.

Again, thank you for all of your help!
Old 02-26-2005, 11:48 AM   #19
Kootsaakiiyi'taa

Soohkiisimsstaan has a reputation beyond reputeSoohkiisimsstaan has a reputation beyond reputeSoohkiisimsstaan has a reputation beyond reputeSoohkiisimsstaan has a reputation beyond reputeSoohkiisimsstaan has a reputation beyond reputeSoohkiisimsstaan has a reputation beyond reputeSoohkiisimsstaan has a reputation beyond reputeSoohkiisimsstaan has a reputation beyond reputeSoohkiisimsstaan has a reputation beyond reputeSoohkiisimsstaan has a reputation beyond reputeSoohkiisimsstaan has a reputation beyond reputeSoohkiisimsstaan has a reputation beyond reputeSoohkiisimsstaan has a reputation beyond reputeSoohkiisimsstaan has a reputation beyond reputeSoohkiisimsstaan has a reputation beyond reputeSoohkiisimsstaan has a reputation beyond reputeSoohkiisimsstaan has a reputation beyond reputeSoohkiisimsstaan has a reputation beyond repute
Looks like a HUGE undertaking. $$$$ but best of luck!
Soohkiisimsstaan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2005, 11:55 AM   #20
BELIEVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Duck
There is a serious lack of knowledge in the coastal plains of TX. There is almost zero eveidence of history and the story of the Karankawas is almost gone forever. The lower Colorado basin was a very active site during winter, when the migrating buffalo herds pushed all the way to Matagorda. There are large camps all along the river for it's entire length. Tonkawa tribes were the ones longest associated with that region. Where my place is, near San marcos is the community point in TX where all tribes came together in peace for the sacred spring(which is now and amusement park and crappy golf course ) and the northern edges of Tonkawa roaming. Keep us updated and pics are always nice. Good luck and I promise to stop in when completed.
I totally agree with you on the lack of knowledge. I was beginning to wander about the Karankawas' history - I have looked and looked and there is not much on them at all like you said. But I have not given up.

Again, that is the main point of this project, to put the history and cultures back into our society as it belongs! It will be accurate, may not be what we were taught in traditional schools, but it will be accurate.

I went to a Pow Wow in Livingston last weekend and was in total awe and ashamed that more of the non-Indians were not present. People do not realize what they are missing when they close their eyes to the original settlers of our world. I saw a "Tiny Tot" dancer that was probably 3 years old and thought to myself, he was probably one of the few 3 year olds that knew who he was. Awesome! Not many adults even know that much about themselves.

We will have a website up soon to show the progress of the restoration - I'll keep you posted.

THANK YOU!!!!
Sponsored Links