Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > General Crafts > Tipis re-enacting...right or wrong????? re-enacting...right or wrong?????

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2003, 01:28 AM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
cool_cowboy_05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
re-enacting...right or wrong?????

howdy,

this message is not meant to step on anyones toes, push anyones buttons, or basically p*ss anyone off in any form or fashion. i have always had a "fascination" with ndns ever since i was little. if ya couldn't get it from the name, i am a FULL fledged white boy, and if u ever saw me or heard me talk for the first time, u would have no idea that i had any interest in ndns, but anyways, back to what i was sayin, i plan to have a fully furnished lodge and two "ndn" trained horses by next year, i'm wrkn on my outfits, but i don't want to be in the middle of somthin and some start yellin at me for wearin that, basically i REALLY don't wanna catch all the crap that boyscouts catch. i want to do this because i want "non-educated" people to understand that not every tribe lived in tipis and not every tribe ate buffalo. one time is was on a rockart hike in seminole canyon and about 20 of u were viewin a rock shelter when this girl found a piece if dried sotol "leaf" on the floor, she came right out and told her friends that it was a piece of buffalo. i realize that buffalo did come into the region for two relatively short periods of time, but this was on the top, and the staple food was ALWAYS out of the agave family. basically.....i just want to know if it would offend any native if i did re-enact. thanx a bunch, please im me on yahoo, it's archaicshaman.ttyl
cool_cowboy_05 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2003, 10:09 AM   #2
Teen Dancer

tipis is a jewel in the rough
OK????? so the question is??? If it is that you want to set up a tipi in the old style..then what tribe, time period and material do you want to use?

There are many groups that re-enact the old tipi days. One is the Buffalo Days campout. Boy is that period correct. You have to submit photos of your camp before you can even think of going.

Check out this information on
httP://www.tipis-tepees-teepees.com

This site is for the tipi people and there is a group there that can realy answer the old time questions.

Tipis
tipis is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-13-2003, 11:05 PM   #3
Tiny Tot Dancer

Rezchick is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't know about anyone else but it wouldn't offend me. I can tell or at least I think I can tell by what you wrote that you aren't doin it to be "cool" aaayyy! But you're doin it to honor and educate people about Native tribes and to try and set the stereo-types straight. Besides at least you had enough decensy to write in askin real Natives if it would offend them in any way so it's all fine with me.
Rezchick is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-13-2003, 11:17 PM   #4
Pow Wow Visitor

THANK YA'LL SO MUCH

This really helps, but i was also wonderin if it would offend anyone if i used a warrior society regalia. this is somthin i REALLY need to know.....

THANX AGAIN!!!!
Old 10-14-2003, 12:08 PM   #5
Teen Dancer

Red face

You need to check where you want to do this and with what group of people. In some cases you will offend those who might know. Where do you want to do this and what type of "think" do you want to do???

tipis
Old 10-14-2003, 06:03 PM   #6
Pow Wow Visitor

ok, i plan to go to most of the forts in true west texas, fort davis, fort stockton, fort concho, fort leaton, and possibly some of the schools in this same area. i plan to go with our local fort re-enactors, none of which portray plains indians. they only represent the soldiers and the soldier's wives/laundresses. i was thinking of wearing the kit fox society regalia, or crazy dog, but i'm certain either of these weren't comanche, and i haven't found anything yet on comanche warrior societies. this information would be good to know as well.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:02 PM   #7
Teen Dancer

If you are going with a certain group that portrays a certain time period and area...it might be a good idea to reaserch the Indains who would fit this material time period. Commanches do have groups or societies you might want to look into.

Why portray a tibe or persona that is not of your area or group. That can be missleading to the audience who is going to associate you with the wrong information no matter what you might say.
This is why others have to straighten out the myth.

This is why I ask for time period, tribe and area of the country. If you are a true believer in doing it right....it does take LOts of research. If all you want to do is just re-enact for the fun....go to a Powwow or Large Rendezvous and do your thing.

If you pose your questions to the LodgeOwners group or Plains/Platauetwo or the web site I mentioned in my first email.. These people are very much into these areas and can help a great deal.

tipis
Old 10-15-2003, 04:31 PM   #8
Pow Wow Visitor

that's a good idea and all, but i think i didn't quite explain very well. most of the forts have an "indian encampment" somewhere on the grounds, and all of them depict frontier life during the Indian Wars, specificaly the battles with the comanches and apaches that came through this area. i plan to simply travel with them, not RE-ENACT with them, unless we have a mock fight, then i might do some riding "tricks". if someone could please point me towards any information on comanche warrior societies i would certainly appreciate it. otherwise i only know of one powwow in this area, and that's in odessa, on a college campus. there's one thing for sure though, most of the forts that do re-enact aren't real stringent on the accuracy of their indians, but i do know that it's best, occasionallt required, that re-enactors be period. also, for those of ya'll that know Ray OLeecha (i think that's how u spell his name) goes to most of the forts as well, but none of his setup is all in one period. thanx again!!!
Old 12-02-2003, 01:43 PM   #9
whatd'ya want from me?

Items Present
superndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond repute
superndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 791.22
I dont understand... you're a white person going to dress up as a native to teach other white people?
Old 12-03-2003, 03:05 PM   #10
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Panda
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 892.09
Angry

Yes that's what he's saying and he wants to dress up as a Kit Fox Society member, or other warrior society. :Mad
Cowboy: Yes I would very much be offended by you portaying yourself as a native warrior and especially as a warrior society member. These societies were held in very high regard and had strict criteria for membership. It appears that you have no idea of what you are asking and for you to dress up as one of our most respected warriors is very disrespectful.
Kakeeya is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2003, 02:59 AM   #11
Senior Dancer

VIP4life is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Kakeeya
Yes that's what he's saying and he wants to dress up as a Kit Fox Society member, or other warrior society. :Mad
Cowboy: Yes I would very much be offended by you portaying yourself as a native warrior and especially as a warrior society member. These societies were held in very high regard and had strict criteria for membership. It appears that you have no idea of what you are asking and for you to dress up as one of our most respected warriors is very disrespectful.
What is this man thinking? Yet another way of disrespecting our way's. Why are you even asking our opinion? You know your going to due it anywayz. Wish you well, hope nothing happens to you. These things that our men wear are very scared, and are not for play. You could hurt yourself and your family.
VIP4life is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2003, 10:33 PM   #12
Pow Wow Visitor

THANK YOU

that was the EXACT reply i was lookin for. i was hopin i would get that, would make less research on my part. no offense ma'am, but u might wanna get to know a person better before u sayin somthin like that. i haven't even started any of my outfits, i was tryin to find out what i shouldn't do. yes i am a white but i don't have to dress up native to teach other whites about natives, i mean all i have to do is take some people on a hike across my place adn show them exactly what natives did. not to sound big headed or anything, but i should get a thank you for my work. because of me an entire archaeological theory is gonnabe reconsidered, might i mention i'm only SIXTEEN. the way ya'll characterize whites is so wrong, i'm mean some of us actually THINK before we DO.
Old 12-13-2003, 05:08 AM   #13
Senior Dancer

VIP4life is on a distinguished road
Re: THANK YOU

Quote:
Originally posted by cool_cowboy_05
that was the EXACT reply i was lookin for. i was hopin i would get that, would make less research on my part. no offense ma'am, but u might wanna get to know a person better before u sayin somthin like that. i haven't even started any of my outfits, i was tryin to find out what i shouldn't do. yes i am a white but i don't have to dress up native to teach other whites about natives, i mean all i have to do is take some people on a hike across my place adn show them exactly what natives did. not to sound big headed or anything, but i should get a thank you for my work. because of me an entire archaeological theory is gonnabe reconsidered, might i mention i'm only SIXTEEN. the way ya'll characterize whites is so wrong, i'm mean some of us actually THINK before we DO.
Your welcome,What did you expect a medal or brownie for what your doing? No, I don't know you. I've experianced both the good and negative of your culture. Mostly negative. Yes there are some truly sincere people(white) out there that take a lesser role in my culture. None that I know who wish to tread in the waters that your juming head 1st into. Your age says a lot about you. You want to where things that have taken maybe an entire lifetime to earn. Grown men in my culture that have given so much of themselves the rite to wear be it a particular shirt, designs,colors or feathers. I've never served in the military and wanted to wear my lil sis inlaws Marine Corp Dress Blues(with combat ribbon) do I? Hell no, that is something she earned. "Blood ,sweat and tears". There are many tribal dance clothes that I admire. I know how to sew and bead. I could probly sew anything I wanted too. Does that mean I'm going to make and wear it? Natives are taught respect and honor. I'm glad you've taken time to learn about our culture. But have some respect for us who are protectful of our wayz.
VIP4life is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2003, 09:48 AM   #14
Tiny Tot Dancer

Iron Wood is an unknown quantity at this point
After reading and thinking about this for a while, I thought I might toss my "two cents worth" into the discussion. As a white guy that does tipi stuff, I don't entirely agree with the idea that it takes an Indian to talk about Plains history, and tipi related things. I do however believe that in order to teach people, about any topic, the teacher must be educated first. There is a lot of misinformation spread by unknowledgable people of all racial backgrounds. Growing up Indian doesn't automatically make one an expert on tipi life. At the same time, you have to remember that having in interest in old-time Indian life doesn't allow you to have an insite into growing up Indian in this country.
Cool Cowboy, out there where you live, your experiences with Indian people are going to be somewhat different than,,,, lets say, someone living around Pine Ridge. I have had an itesrest in this stuff since I was in kindergarten. When I was 15, I talked a guy into taking me to Anadarko, to Indian Fair. I was appalled by a white gas station owner who cussed out some Indian guys for using the restroom to wash up a bit. They hadn't messed up anything, and the whole _ _ s-chewing was completely unwarranted, (this was back in the late 70's). This is still imbedded in my mind, along with the pounding I took the next morning from a bunch of drunken Indian guys coming back from a 49. I had camped out at the Fair grounds, and let they me know I was not welcomed there.
If you have a true interest, persue it. You are going to hit some stumbling blocks along the way, so just figure that into your decision. Be respectful, even if you are being criticized. You haven't grown up within the culture and can't speak from an Indian's perspective.
From Indian people, I have heard greatly differing opinions on what is percieved as right and wrong, with me talking to the public about tipi life. Almost without exception, I have been viewed at first with great skepticism, then with acceptance. Still, I know that I won't be able to please everyone all of the time! As always, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Curtis
Iron Wood is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2003, 07:28 PM   #15
Pow Wow Visitor

i get the point

for senorita wallFlower, i completely understand the whole negative side of my people. i can HONESTLY say i have only RESEARCHED a FEW regalia items.i have never attempted to make any of them because i didn't want to get harassed. thank you iron wood for your encouragement. wallFlower i understand where ur comin from and once again i was honestly askin for an opinion. what would u say if i were to dress as a "regular" comanche warrior with no true society items. would that still step on toes?????
Old 09-21-2004, 05:34 AM   #16
Pow Wow Visitor

jbstuebner is an unknown quantity at this point
re-enacting

You do not have to dress as a Warrior to show other white people. Make your outfit display it using a white pvc pipe manimaniquin with no head just a stick figure with a pedistal on top for a head dress. Wear and make something less contriversial. I am 1/16 blackfoot but my uncle on my fathers side has no indian relatives . He is 65 and has made native crafts for 501 years. He never dresses in the Warriar gear although he does display it and explain it.
jbstuebner is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2004, 03:38 AM   #17
Pow Wow Visitor

jbstuebner is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Teaching other people

If we are to truely teach others then shouldnt we teach them respect for what the Native American has went through. Display it and teach that out of respect you do not wish to wear it in public.

Sorry for sticking my nose in.

J
jbstuebner is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2004, 10:16 AM   #18
Tiny Tot Dancer

Rides the Wind has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_cowboy_05
ok, i plan to go to most of the forts in true west texas, fort davis, fort stockton, fort concho, fort leaton, and possibly some of the schools in this same area. i plan to go with our local fort re-enactors, none of which portray plains indians. they only represent the soldiers and the soldier's wives/laundresses. i was thinking of wearing the kit fox society regalia, or crazy dog, but i'm certain either of these weren't comanche, and i haven't found anything yet on comanche warrior societies. this information would be good to know as well.

Maruawe Pimaroo Taibo,{Welcome or Hello,Cowboy}
We Comanche have the Little Ponies,War Scouts,CIVA and the Tu Wii.The first three are modern warrior soceitys the Tu Wiis or Black Crows are an old time society.All Comanche males were warriors,including the "contraries".Even our women were feirce fighters when cornered.DO NOT imitate these....they are the pride of our people...I am from a Tu Wii family.
We used a 4 pole base as opposed to the three pole base used by others.The door was a slit about 4 feet up and going to the ground as oppossed to the round door on most tipis.
I live in Texas and have an authentic Numu Kahni {Comanche tipi}for you to see and enjoy and will give you many pointers.
Right now my families namesake is being painted on it.I am willing to share knowledge,but really dont understand what a white person can teach another white about us except the same old crap.

As far as regalia goes,get a mannekin and display an everyday Comanche mans outfit. DO NOT use society regalia unless invited to do so.And you will only be asked to do so if you are to become a society member and you guessed it that is a "Comanche thang"

Hope I helped a little

Last edited by Rides the Wind; 09-25-2004 at 10:27 AM..
Rides the Wind is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2004, 08:52 PM   #19
Pow Wow Visitor

thanx....

i would like to thank all of you for this help and the information I have gained means alot. once again, i did not mean to ruin any societies' name or hurt a natives feelings, this was simply a question or "poll" I put out for this very reason, to find out what would happen before I actually made anything. thank you once again for the all the help. Rides the Wind, I would definitely like to meet you and see your Numu kahni, but here, you would not believe how little the "other white" people know nothing about you and your family's culture, and few will travel this far out of their way to teach them. Heck, most good teachers won't even come out this far to teach. thanx once again......
Old 09-25-2004, 09:00 PM   #20
Pow Wow Visitor

thanx....

i would like to thank all of you for this help and the information I have gained means alot. once again, i did not mean to ruin any societies' name or hurt a natives feelings. This was simply a question or "poll" I put out for this very reason, to find out what would happen before I actually made anything. thank you once again for the all the help. Rides the Wind, I would definitely like to meet you and see your Numu kahni, but here, you would not believe how little the "other white" people know nothing about you and your family's culture, and few will travel this far out of their way to teach them. I know of few only one native, Mescalero Apache Ray Olachia, a white Neal Stilley and in the past we have had Comanche reenactors who had awesome gear, dances, and reenactions at our living history days here in Fort Stockton. thanx once again......
Sponsored Links