PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Tipis (http://forums.powwows.com/f20/)
-   -   Tipi Insurance (http://forums.powwows.com/f20/tipi-insurance-49019/)

WhoMe 12-30-2008 05:46 PM

Tipi Insurance
 
I spent my Christmas in the middle of Illinois in a lbeautiful log cabin by a lake. Outside a side window I saw a full set of tipi poles leaning against a tree of what I accessed to be a 17 ft. tipi!

So I asked the owner of the cabin if those were indeed tipi poles? He said the lady next door was a Cherokee and that those poles belonged to her "medicine tipi." He added that a strong wind distroyed the flap poles and tore the lining of the tipi. But the Cherokee lady had a $1200 insurance policy on her tipi and that would cover the cost of repair.

Has anyone heard of tipi insurance?

Josiah 12-30-2008 06:17 PM

Damn Whome!
You run across the strangest stuff and imagine right in the middle of Illinois a state not known for it large population of Cherokees
Do you not only find a Cherokee
But a Cherokee that owns a Tipi that has insurance on it

Go Figure

LOL

SuzzeQ4 12-30-2008 06:49 PM

:rofl:
tipi insurance? oh man some guy in a suit is walking away with a check laughing

walela49 12-31-2008 08:22 PM

OMG, that's hilarious!

WhoMe 01-12-2009 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuzzeQ4 (Post 1254364)
:rofl:
tipi insurance? oh man some guy in a suit is walking away with a check laughing



suzze,

Perhaps we can persuade "this guy in a suit" to visit Crow Fair?

TWDBear 01-12-2009 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhoMe (Post 1254347)
I spent my Christmas in the middle of Illinois in a lbeautiful log cabin by a lake. Outside a side window I saw a full set of tipi poles leaning against a tree of what I accessed to be a 17 ft. tipi!

So I asked the owner of the cabin if those were indeed tipi poles? He said the lady next door was a Cherokee and that those poles belonged to her "medicine tipi." He added that a strong wind distroyed the flap poles and tore the lining of the tipi. But the Cherokee lady had a $1200 insurance policy on her tipi and that would cover the cost of repair.

Has anyone heard of tipi insurance?


I haven't but, and you may want to check with your insurance company, your tipi may be covered under your home owner's policy.

eap7 01-16-2009 02:05 AM

She probably insured it under her homeowners policy. I insured my oboe and it is like $5 for $1500 insurance. I bet she wishes she slashed her tipi cover sooner to get the money!

legalstraight 01-16-2009 08:38 PM

It's called a rider,,
Additional coverage to a standard policy. EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE ONE FOR THEIR REGALIA!!
Look at your car insurance(if it covers contents), renters, or home owners policy- if you read the fine print you will see that any thing worth over a certain dollar amount is not covered......
Now think, how much would it cost to replace my beadwork?

I am sure with a phone call or two you could get several insurance companies interested in selling policies at Crow Fair.

And Who Me, please let us know where you are going to be so we can change our schedules according to avoid the weirdos that flock to you.

WhoMe 01-28-2009 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legalstraight (Post 1258482)
And Who Me, please let us know where you are going to be so we can change our schedules according to avoid the weirdos that flock to you.


legal,

Wierdos are what makes life interesting.

How would homeowners insurance cover eagle feathers

steelemagnolia63 01-28-2009 05:16 PM

I called my insurance company and asked about a rider to cover Jim and my regalia and other treasured items that reflect our native hertiage. The lady says that she'll get back to me about the rider in the next couple of days with the limits that it will cover, after I get her a list with the costs to aquire the items, the current value, the replacement cost and so on.

Now I have to ask how do you put a price on things like your treasured feathers, a piece of beadwork that was a gift from a dear grandmother, or you long hours put in on beading your dresses? I can give them a material cost for my buckskins and I can figure how many hours that I have in the work on them, but how can put a price on the sentinmental value of my skins, or my reproduction of a outfit that my grandmother wore in the early 1900's? How do I put a value on the head piece that my husband gave me for our anniversary?? I am sitting here trying to figure all that out. how do I put a price on the pipestone and the stone that Jim brought home from one of his trips out west that means so much to the both of us? The insurance company is never going to understand that these items are priceless to us.

legalstraight 01-28-2009 09:35 PM

Valuation
 
You both have good points there, and the answer is there some things money just can't fix.

As for valuation-
Ask around (or if you sell outfits do it yourself) and figure out what you would have to pay someone to reproduce your regalia.
The insurance company may want you to produce receipts if you ever have to file a claim, and it is worth asking if they cover actual value or replacement costs.

Tibiki Kinew 01-29-2009 10:17 AM

So if someone breaks into a tipi and steals the contents is that covered by the insurance too??? Or do they need to install an alarm system first! LOL:thinking:

Josiah 01-29-2009 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tibiki Kinew (Post 1261862)
So if someone breaks into a tipi and steals the contents is that covered by the insurance too??? Or do they need to install an alarm system first! LOL:thinking:

Well an old school alarm system would be a big ole ugly dog
it growls and your awakened

steelemagnolia63 01-29-2009 03:40 PM

I can only imagine the cost to buy any one of the items that makes up our regalia. Right now I have about 10 hours in making button holes for a French/Indian war mititary jacket for Jim's new regalia, the button holer part of my sewing machine took a hike and I am hand making 50 button holes. So I guess that if I was going to charge him to make it, the cost would be pretty dang expensive. I am not cheap!!!

Good grief, when you start listing the cost, even estimated since both of us make 95% of our regalia ourselves. You find out real fast where your "disposable" income has gone to...

tsuj510 02-24-2009 03:04 AM

Specialty Insurance Companies
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by steelemagnolia63 (Post 1261729)
I called my insurance company and asked about a rider to cover Jim and my regalia and other treasured items that reflect our native hertiage. The lady says that she'll get back to me about the rider in the next couple of days with the limits that it will cover, after I get her a list with the costs to aquire the items, the current value, the replacement cost and so on.

Now I have to ask how do you put a price on things like your treasured feathers, a piece of beadwork that was a gift from a dear grandmother, or you long hours put in on beading your dresses? I can give them a material cost for my buckskins and I can figure how many hours that I have in the work on them, but how can put a price on the sentinmental value of my skins, or my reproduction of a outfit that my grandmother wore in the early 1900's? How do I put a value on the head piece that my husband gave me for our anniversary?? I am sitting here trying to figure all that out. how do I put a price on the pipestone and the stone that Jim brought home from one of his trips out west that means so much to the both of us? The insurance company is never going to understand that these items are priceless to us.

Wasn't it Lloyd of London that used to insure anything?

Maybe they could help.

I think I know that tipi insurance guy. He used to sell the freshmen hall passes in high school.....


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright 2006, PowWows.com, LLC