Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > General Crafts Applique Question Applique Question

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2006, 09:52 PM   #1
Jingle Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Applique Question

Hey y'all, since being in Canada, I've noticed that a lot of people in this area use that glitter glue paint to seal the edges of their applique, instead of stitching it. I never noticed that before back in the US. I asked someone, and she said that since they don't have dance comps in this area, there's no reason to stitch the edges. There are people up here making regalias like this and selling them for big bucks. My business partner insists that I do that glitter paint stuff, so I do it. I'd much rather stitch it, because it looks nicer, and holds a lot longer. What are your thoughts on this? And have you ever seen it down in the US?

MizzQaqimat's Space
~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-12-2006, 10:23 PM   #2
Lovin' life,

Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 260.00
Savings: 1.00
It was the big fad about 15- 20 yrs back. I tried it...... don't like it. Won't do it again. I have yet to see someone get the paint/glue on even enough that I could say I like it. It seems it lumps and glumps in spots no matter how careful a person it. There may be someone that can do it out there somewhere..........but I have yet to see it.

The thing I didn't like about doing it on applique' work is that after a while the paint breaks down...... it will crack and peel. On some fabrics it will cause it to happen sooner. When it does happen....... the applique' will peel up then. And don't even think of washing it!

All in all ........ I guess I can say I think it's pretty tacky. Taking the time to stitch em down is well worth it in the end. Like they say.... "No shortcuts!"
Old 07-12-2006, 10:29 PM   #3
Jingle Dancer

~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mato Winyan
It was the big fad about 15- 20 yrs back. I tried it...... don't like it. Won't do it again. I have yet to see someone get the paint/glue on even enough that I could say I like it. It seems it lumps and glumps in spots no matter how careful a person it. There may be someone that can do it out there somewhere..........but I have yet to see it.

The thing I didn't like about doing it on applique' work is that after a while the paint breaks down...... it will crack and peel. On some fabrics it will cause it to happen sooner. When it does happen....... the applique' will peel up then. And don't even think of washing it!

All in all ........ I guess I can say I think it's pretty tacky. Taking the time to stitch em down is well worth it in the end. Like they say.... "No shortcuts!"
I agree that it looks tacky...I hate putting all that time into some nice applique, and I want to cry when I put the paint on there. But, I do the applique, and my business partner sews the outfits, so I pretty much do what she says. I have that paint stuff on my new dress, its all even, no bumps or bubbles, so it looks nice, but nothing compares to how nice stitching looks. There's one or 2 of the women who make dresses up here that can put it on nice and even and it looks nice, lasts for a long time. Its just not cool how they teach other people to use it too. There's some moms trying it out here, and like on flowers, the petals peel up and curl because the heat and bond stuff let go, and the paint didn't hold. Crazy.

MizzQaqimat's Space
Old 07-13-2006, 10:42 AM   #4
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
I would ONLY use the fabric paint on something made with Heat and Bond which is a bear to sew. I try to use one of my drafting stencils that will make an even line just so wide, but it's still impossible to get it even.

Other than that, I agree that it looks super tacky, doesn't hold up, and it's just easier in the long run to sew it.
wyo_rose is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2006, 03:18 AM   #5
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo_rose
I would ONLY use the fabric paint on something made with Heat and Bond which is a bear to sew. I try to use one of my drafting stencils that will make an even line just so wide, but it's still impossible to get it even.

Other than that, I agree that it looks super tacky, doesn't hold up, and it's just easier in the long run to sew it.
Dittos on the "tacky" looking ladies! I would not purchase an outfit that was done this way.
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2006, 05:02 AM   #6
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
I can get it even too without the glops, but I don't like it at all. Oh wait.. I don't use the glitter glue though.. I use those fabric paints that come in the bottle. Last time I used it though I did'nt use it to hold down the fabric but to put a 3D effect in wings of my dragonflies for this shawl... Also gave it that stained glass look.

Old 07-15-2006, 07:25 AM   #7
FANMAKR

spottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond repute
spottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 819.61
BlackBear that is beautiful!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans
spottedeagle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2006, 03:34 PM   #8
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Thanks! it was one of my favorites to make!
Old 07-16-2006, 12:40 PM   #9
Jingle Dancer

[QUOTE=Blackbear]I can get it even too without the glops, but I don't like it at all. Oh wait.. I don't use the glitter glue though.. I use those fabric paints that come in the bottle. Last time I used it though I did'nt use it to hold down the fabric but to put a 3D effect in wings of my dragonflies for this shawl... Also gave it that stained glass look.
[QUOTE]

Oh yeah, when I said glitter glue I mean fabric paint. The fabric paint that has glitter in it. lol

MizzQaqimat's Space
Old 07-16-2006, 07:12 PM   #10
whiteaglefeatherfan

jeremiah oleman will become famous soon enough
to applique or not to applique that is the question

we are not here to judge another ones work, or are we is that why the creator put us here. i respect any dancer for who they are and for the regalia that they wear. a regalia is to be proud of and should be worn that way. if a person is wearing a regalia that means someone took the time and the love to make it for them. we all run under limitiations in this hectec lifestyle. moms work,dads work,grandmas work, children play. instead of stating (tacky its tacky to tack someone else) we are all firstnations brothers and sisters here. if someone could use some pointers then offer some kind words on how to make a regalia stronger. preference is preference. vocalizing negativities is kinda nasty. turn it around and send out good vibes. maybe some people use glue because they don't have a sewing machine or serger. i like applique and the time it takes to make it. i love wonder under and iron on adhesives. a little trick if you use a angular shape applique peice or border instead of zigzaging it down use a peice of wonder under and a half inch or three qauter inch satin ribbon which you fuse to the outside of your applique and sew on either sides of th ribbon which locks your applique down and adds a nice finish to your work.attaching a border along your applique looks so sharp. or try cuttin up your ribbon and then sewing it together with multi colored ribbon pieces so insted of one color ribbon border you now have a beautiful rainbow colored border around your applique.or use that sequence that is on a string in rows and stitch it along your applique that looks quite nice they have that new square sequence in a row stuff you buy at material stores it finishes edges nicelythere are so many little tricks we can all do to make our regalias beautiful. all you need to do is ask or offer. all my relations over and out.
jeremiah oleman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2006, 01:53 AM   #11
www.wakalapi.com

Wakalapi has a reputation beyond repute
Wakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 336.00
Holay! I think she just said one technique that she tried and disliked is "tacky" she wasn't personally slamming anybody and saying their outfit looks like cheesebot here?
Old 07-17-2006, 09:11 AM   #12
Jingle Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakalapi
Holay! I think she just said one technique that she tried and disliked is "tacky" she wasn't personally slamming anybody and saying their outfit looks like cheesebot here?
LoL nope I wouldn't slam anybody on it, I mean come on, I have that glitter paint stuff on my new dress right now, so I'd be slamming myself right? Just asking who else uses it, or has seen it, or any other ways people hold down their applique. I even use that glitter fabric paint on outfits people order, I guess people up here like it? I dunno, they're pretty new to powwows up in this area. This weekend I was at a powwow here, and almost everyone that had applique on their outfit had that fabric paint on there. So, since I keep seeing people around here, just wondering if there's people in other areas that use it as much as they do here....aaaanywayz...no one is slamming anyone!

MizzQaqimat's Space
Old 07-17-2006, 10:04 AM   #13
Lovin' life,

Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
He was talking about me...........

we are not here to judge another ones work, or are we is that why the creator put us here. i respect any dancer for who they are and for the regalia that they wear. a regalia is to be proud of and should be worn that way. if a person is wearing a regalia that means someone took the time and the love to make it for them. we all run under limitiations in this hectec lifestyle. moms work,dads work,grandmas work, children play. instead of stating (tacky its tacky to tack someone else) we are all firstnations brothers and sisters here. if someone could use some pointers then offer some kind words on how to make a regalia stronger. preference is preference. vocalizing negativities is kinda nasty. turn it around and send out good vibes. maybe some people use glue because they don't have a sewing machine or serger. i like applique and the time it takes to make it. i love wonder under and iron on adhesives. a little trick if you use a angular shape applique peice or border instead of zigzaging it down use a peice of wonder under and a half inch or three qauter inch satin ribbon which you fuse to the outside of your applique and sew on either sides of th ribbon which locks your applique down and adds a nice finish to your work.attaching a border along your applique looks so sharp. or try cuttin up your ribbon and then sewing it together with multi colored ribbon pieces so insted of one color ribbon border you now have a beautiful rainbow colored border around your applique.or use that sequence that is on a string in rows and stitch it along your applique that looks quite nice they have that new square sequence in a row stuff you buy at material stores it finishes edges nicelythere are so many little tricks we can all do to make our regalias beautiful. all you need to do is ask or offer. all my relations over and out.

Yeah........ I was talkin about technique. I also know the one that started this thread and she does have a sewing machine as she stated "I'd much rather stitch it, because it looks nicer, and holds a lot longer. "

This is what I said about "tacky" ......
Quote:

I still stand by that...... when it's been on for awhile ..... it starts lookin really tacky and when it's blobbed....... really tacky. That's just my opinion.

Do you realize you "vocalized negativity" about my post? That was a bit "nasty" wasn't it?
Old 07-17-2006, 10:08 AM   #14
Jingle Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mato Winyan
Yeah........ I was talkin about technique. I also know the one that started this thread and she does have a sewing machine as she stated "I'd much rather stitch it, because it looks nicer, and holds a lot longer. "

Do you realize you "vocalized negativity" about my post? That was a bit "nasty" wasn't it?
Whew thought I was in trouble again or something lol. I'm always scared of people twisting my words around! Thanks though Mato.

Maybe we should like...close this thread before people start reading it wrong and blow up?lol

MizzQaqimat's Space
Old 07-17-2006, 11:35 AM   #15
Lovin' life,

Hey..... no prob.

I hate to close this just because I think there are some people out here with a lot of experience on doing applique's and can offer good tips. I'll keep an eye on it just in case. Not unless you wanna start another one then I can close this. Up to you babe.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:57 AM   #16
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
OMG, you're not thinking of closing this over that one post, are ya??

Anyway, Blackbear's dragonflies look GREAT!!! Nothing tacky about that at all.

It IS way faster to just outline with the fabric paint, but as for your original question...especially since you're selling outfits....using the paint will not secure the applique for any length of time, or through regular wear and tear.
wyo_rose is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2006, 07:29 PM   #17
whiteaglefeatherfan

jeremiah oleman will become famous soon enough
Unhappy my appologies

sorry about that. my misreading. all i want to promote is support. any dancer can give pointers to make us all stronger. i have been on the powwow trail since i was 12 which was along time ago. my misreading. sorry. try using wonder under or even some super glue that dries clear. or even straight stitching the out line of your applique before your glitter glue. or even using a crazy glue and then sprinkle some glitter on it before it dries. it dries fast but the glitter will be more permanent. a crazy glue tip is fine so you will end up with a nice tube of glue on top of your work. but yeah try sprinkling some glitter on as you go or get a friend to help. to srpinkle as you go. then when you are done just gently shake the shawl in half and downwards into a bag or bucket to save the free glitter that didn't stick. i've found crazy glue more stronger by alot than the hot glue guns. sorry again my mistake .
jeremiah oleman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2006, 09:08 PM   #18
Lovin' life,

Wyo- Don't know if you were talkin to MizzQ or me......but naw.....I wasn't wanting to close it. She's kind of leary.... had been pretty beat up in a thread years ago.

One thing I remembered..... If you do the paint....... when and if you wash it.......do not use fabric softner!! Or put it in the dryer. It causes some freaky break down (Ol Chemist would be so proud of me for that techinal jargon... ) and it cracks and peels.

No prob Jeremiah.