Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > General Crafts Broadclothamania! Broadclothamania!

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
Asmajol

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Broadclothamania!

Martha Berry: Cherokee Beadwork Artist

As to make items as traditional as i can, i was referred to this website, as Martha Berry Created her own patterns similar to traditional Cherokee ones so that they may be used by whomever buys.

So im attempting high cuff moccs lol

But apparently i need to make the beadwork first, which i have beads, i have time, no problem right?
Wrong! i need to save up to get some broadcloth now, and you know my jobless self is to broke to pay attention!
Goodness gracious, Come on Craigslist sales! Hurry up Ebay money! And for crying out loud will this lawsuit ever be settled! heheh

I did find 100% wool blanket at thrift store, i know it isnt broadcloth but the beadwork will take me awhile, maybe i can cheat and use it for the beadwork wool and by the time im done beading can afford to buy Broadcloth for the moccs themselves.

Wheeeeeee

P.S. You know im making the beadwork separate because i dance holes into my moccs and want to keep the same beadwork for repeat offenders :D
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-16-2010, 05:10 AM   #2
Pow Wow Visitor

donnaj8887 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmajol View Post
Martha Berry: Cherokee Beadwork Artist

As to make items as traditional as i can, i was referred to this website, as Martha Berry Created her own patterns similar to traditional Cherokee ones so that they may be used by whomever buys.

So im attempting high cuff moccs lol

But apparently i need to make the beadwork first, which i have beads, i have time, no problem right?
Wrong! i need to save up to get some broadcloth now, and you know my jobless self is to broke to pay attention!
Goodness gracious, Come on Craigslist sales! Hurry up Ebay money! And for crying out loud will this lawsuit ever be settled! heheh

I did find 100% wool blanket at thrift store, i know it isnt broadcloth but the beadwork will take me awhile, maybe i can cheat and use it for the beadwork wool and by the time im done beading can afford to buy Broadcloth for the moccs themselves.

Wheeeeeee

P.S. You know im making the beadwork separate because i dance holes into my moccs and want to keep the same beadwork for repeat offenders :D

Great post! It's very nice. Thank you so much for your post.
donnaj8887 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-16-2010, 05:12 AM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

donnaj8887 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Well, great work! You have helped me to improve my knowledge about this field. Thank you so much for sharing.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
wrapped in ribbonwork!

Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,732.09
Since the amount of wool needed for mocs is such a small amount, I think you will be fine using any solid wool as long as its in a traditional color (black, navy, red and maybe dark green). No one will get close enough to tell whether you used actual broadcloth or not. So I say, don't worry. Another option is to use velveteen.

Please show us a pic when you are done. We love to see the how projects turn out.
Czechy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-16-2010, 06:27 PM   #5
its to cold up here

legalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond repute
legalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 599.56
I'm not a fan of wool for mocs- it looks good, it feels good, but just not durable enough for me.

I use hides (deer, elk, buffalo) and I do make southeastern style center seams and they come out nice- be careful with buffalo cause it does not pucker well. But, I will do the beadwork on scrap pieces of wool or velvet- that way you can recycle 'em. So I say rock on with the blanket.

My wife makes vamped mocs- leather bottoms with velvet or wool tops. These are nice, cost effective, and easy to bead.

Other good sources for spare wool- old coats (which happen to come in traditional colors) also naval pants (easy to remake in to leggings).
legalstraight is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links