Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > General Crafts Can anybody help with this? Can anybody help with this?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 04:29 AM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
jamiegates is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 123.56
Savings: 0.00
Can anybody help with this?

Can anybody provide information regarding this style of Headdress. I've been asked if I could make one. I've been told it's a dog dancers headress? Any historical/factual information along with construction techniques for this style of headress would be of a huge benefit to me

Many Thanks

Jamie Gates (All the way from the UK)

Last edited by jamiegates; 11-24-2012 at 04:30 AM.. Reason: image did not show
jamiegates is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-24-2012, 07:39 AM   #2
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 81,807.17
With all due respect, I'm going to suggest you do the same thing I do when approached to make certain items and refuse this commission.

This general type of headdress is part of the regalia of several tribes' warrior societies. Some of these groups still exist. And they frown upon people copying their society insignia. There are many procedures that must be followed regarding the making and wearing of society regalia. First and foremost of which is: you must be granted the right to make and wear these things. Otherwise, it is like wearing stolen military metals.

Please understand, there is a right way to do these things and if it is ignored, at best, cultural integrity is attacked, at worst, harm will follow. These things are not just neat pieces of regalia and if they are no longer being made there is generally a reason. Any competent feather worker can do all of the techniques involved in making one of these. However, only those ignorant of the meaning would consider usurping the cultural and intellectual patrimony of a society/nation to do so.

May I suggest you save yourself some grief and take tobacco to an member of the society in question. (Yes, I realize you're in England. However if you truly respect our culture, you will make the effort to do this right.) Ask them about your desire to make this head gear. This is the only way to ensure that things are done in a right way.

Last edited by OLChemist; 11-24-2012 at 09:31 AM..
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-24-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,587.55
Isn't this amazing! I've been asked to make the following costume because the person wants to dress up like a Knight of the Garter!

I don't need to ask permission of the the real Knights, because I'm all the way over in Canada and no one will be the wiser.

I respect the British way of life and just love all things Royal. I know I'm a distant relative of the Queen, I feel it in my heart. I have special dreams about riding with her and her Corgis speak to me in my dreams and tell me I'm one of the family.

I've read all about the British and I'm now the expert on your culture. My great-great-great-great-great maternal aunt married a British man, I think he was a Duke or something of some tribe.

My favourite movie is Camelot, it's so real and honest about the way British people live. Do you still sing like that when you have a round table ceremony? I hope you do because I've learned all the words to those songs. I also like Braveheart, that was also a very real movie.

One day I hope to travel to Britain and see the villages and towns and maybe learn to Morris dance.
Attached Thumbnails
223px-kg_mantle.jpg  
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.
yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-24-2012, 09:44 AM   #4
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
LOL. I bow to the board's master of satire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaahl View Post
My favourite movie is Camelot....
I just hope we don't hear another chorus of Fie on Goodness....

Dang now I'm trying to work on a program while singing "Ah, but to burn a little town or slay a dozen men. Anything to laugh again...." I think I'm scaring my co-workers, LOL.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:28 AM   #5
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
When I want to scare my co-workers, I kick the CPR dummy into the garbage bin and yell, "THIS IS SPARTA!". If I want to confuse them I pretend to be an Indian Scout and that I'm tracking something. When they ask what it is that I'm following, I say... "fish tracks".
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein

Old 11-24-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 80,199.39
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
With all due respect, I'm going to suggest you do the same thing I do when approached to make certain items and refuse this commission.

This general type of headdress is part of the regalia of several tribes' warrior societies. Some of these groups still exist. And they frown upon people copying their society insignia. There are many procedures that must be followed regarding the making and wearing of society regalia. First and foremost of which is: you must be granted the right to make and wear these things. Otherwise, it is like wearing stolen military metals.

Please understand, there is a right way to do these things and if it is ignored, at best, cultural integrity is attacked, at worst, harm will follow. These things are not just neat pieces of regalia and if they are no longer being made there is generally a reason. Any competent feather worker can do all of the techniques involved in making one of these. However, only those ignorant of the meaning would consider usurping the cultural and intellectual patrimony of a society/nation to do so.

May I suggest you save yourself some grief and take tobacco to an member of the society in question. (Yes, I realize you're in England. However if you truly respect our culture, you will make the effort to do this right.) Ask them about your desire to make this head gear. This is the only way to ensure that things are done in a right way.
As Paul Harvey used to say " Now you know the rest of the story" !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 80,199.39
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Isn't this amazing! I've been asked to make the following costume because the person wants to dress up like a Knight of the Garter!

I don't need to ask permission of the the real Knights, because I'm all the way over in Canada and no one will be the wiser.

I respect the British way of life and just love all things Royal. I know I'm a distant relative of the Queen, I feel it in my heart. I have special dreams about riding with her and her Corgis speak to me in my dreams and tell me I'm one of the family.

I've read all about the British and I'm now the expert on your culture. My great-great-great-great-great maternal aunt married a British man, I think he was a Duke or something of some tribe.

My favourite movie is Camelot, it's so real and honest about the way British people live. Do you still sing like that when you have a round table ceremony? I hope you do because I've learned all the words to those songs. I also like Braveheart, that was also a very real movie.

One day I hope to travel to Britain and see the villages and towns and maybe learn to Morris dance.
Hey , I want one of those !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #8
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardancer View Post
A corgi or one of those tricked out capes...LOL

Old 11-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #9
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardancer View Post
I think you would look super in one of these costumes...jingle dancing for men!

Old 11-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #10
Banned

WoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,641.56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiegates View Post
Can anybody provide information regarding this style of Headdress. I've been asked if I could make one. I've been told it's a dog dancers headress? Any historical/factual information along with construction techniques for this style of headress would be of a huge benefit to me

Many Thanks

Jamie Gates (All the way from the UK)

a big wannabe lol
WoundedBear is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #11
Dances With Fat Chicks

milehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 31,977.76
Quote:

lol this would be even funnier if they even cared.......its been my experience that white people feel they can helpthemselves to other cultures because they hold NOTHING sacred or private....i could be wrong but thats the impression i get
milehighsalute is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #12
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighsalute View Post
its been my experience that white people feel they can helpthemselves to other cultures because they hold NOTHING sacred or private....i could be wrong but thats the impression i get
I think we need to examine their culture for a moment to understand exactly why they are not equipped to get it.

Except for a few strains of Catholicism and some strains of mystical Judaism, their religions frown on making material objects holy/sacred. The sacred exists in the realm of relations, ideas, and actions exclusively. The early Church spent centuries purging itself the influence of non-Christian mysticism. All the while imbibing strongly of Hellenistic ideas which condemned the material world as base and on a level unreal. The entire thrust of Christian life in this imperfect, "damned" world became preparing for the next. The influence of the Protestant Reformation and subsequent Enlightenment intensified this divide between the material world and the spiritual. Since the beginning of the last century, the rising power of Rationalism and Secular Humanism has consigned all religion notions of the sacred to the dust bin.

As for privacy, they do hold things private. But those are very different things than we consider significant. Only state secrets and trade secrets are areas not to expect easy answers. But even the process of obtaining legal protection for intellectual property, requires the sharing of the method with those "skilled in the art."

These are children of Socrates. They have been taught that questioning is the right way to learn. And nothing is off limits for inquiry. They have no intellectual hook upon which to hang our objections. On a level, they even perceive secrecy as immoral. They can't help it. It was the way they were raised.

Last edited by OLChemist; 11-26-2012 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: Grammar, ouch!
Old 11-26-2012, 05:27 PM   #13
One more push-up,Please!

lostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond repute
lostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 3,730.53
I swear, OLChemist might be kin to King Solomon.
That Lady drops Knowledge like a kid spilling cheerios on the way to watch Cartoons.
OLChemist, Are you an Author? If so, p.m. your Pen name. I'd Love to read more of your observations.
"Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is." JW
lostsalt is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #14
Dances With Fat Chicks

milehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 31,977.76
olc you said it perfectly
milehighsalute is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links