PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   General Crafts (http://forums.powwows.com/f21/)
-   -   THE Dance Outfit Sewing Machine? (http://forums.powwows.com/f21/dance-outfit-sewing-machine-44872/)

Purple Reign 05-13-2008 03:56 PM

THE Dance Outfit Sewing Machine?

So what is everyone's opinion on what is the best sewing machine out there for making regalia? I am looking at picking one up but I want one that will be good for making outfits. Any ideas?

dancinfancy 05-13-2008 04:57 PM

I have a Singer machine, I used it on every outfit I've made in the last 4 yrs and it's been great, even on the thick stuff. I got it at walmart for like $80.

tayoonee 05-13-2008 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dancinfancy (Post 1121953)
I have a Singer machine, I used it on every outfit I've made in the last 4 yrs and it's been great, even on the thick stuff. I got it at walmart for like $80.

hey, I think we picked up the same one..even if I just got mine this December. Singer, around $80 from Walmart. I've made 3 outfits so far...plus some around the house hemming...
I'm looking to buy a Serger here very soon. Almost everyone I know owns a "singer.":wink_smil even people I don't know!

dancinfancy 05-13-2008 06:52 PM

It's a great brand to have both my grandmother and g-grandmother had a singer. I would love to have a serger, maybe one day,lol.

sookout sh'nob 05-13-2008 07:13 PM

I have a Janome Mylock Serger and a Husqvarna machine.

:thumbsup: It matches my chainsaw! :thumbsup:

Czechy 05-13-2008 11:32 PM

Hoo boy, I'm probably the last person to ask. I use a Sears Kenmore machine which I got 20 years ago for Christmas. It lacks all the bells, whistles and fancy stitches that you can get nowadays. I'll probably keep using mine until it dies. I just can't bring myself to buy a new machine when the one I have works just fine. A gazillion cool stitches aren't enough enticement.

I had a serger for a while. Hated it.

If you are shopping for a new machine, you may want to actually try out some different models at your local fabric store. Nothing beats a hands-on trial. This is not so important if you are buying a basic machine but definitely worth considering before pouring $$$ into a more complex animal. Good luck!

NorthofAda 05-13-2008 11:50 PM

I got a Singer machine from Wal-Mart, too. It was my Christmas present in 2006. It's done a good job for me. Can't remember the exact price, but it seemed like in the $95 range.

billyjoejimbob 05-14-2008 08:14 AM

For my first few outfits I used an old Singer from the 50's. Best machine I ever used.

Now I use my mom-in-laws machines...she has some nice toys. I love the Serger.

I have a thing for old machines and tables. Got 3 old singer treadle tables in the garage waiting to be re-done. I want to use one as a sink base in my bathroom.

Eagle Plumes 05-14-2008 09:12 AM

I started out uesing my moms old Bernina then it was mess'n up we diddnt have that kind of money to get anotherone so we got a cheapy one from walmart, it works for what we know how to do lol... wich isnt much

Tibiki Kinew 05-14-2008 09:26 AM

Hey what can I say, a hole punch and still braid the leather! Yep no machine sewn cloth for me, a bit more traditiona for me!!!! Beside it sucks to sew!:quiet:

Cree_thang 05-14-2008 09:34 AM

Tansi! I once had a Brother sewing machine from Walmart (given to me as a gift) and the peddle was really stiff (on starting) I couldn't get used to it so I gave it to a friend of mine who is doing some beadwork for me. I have since found a really awesome Kenmore at a garage sale in which I payed $40. It is worth around $320!!! The lady I bought if from hardly knew how to sew and had no use for it after she gave up trying to teach herself. It's an awesome machine to make outfits on cause it has all the jazzy stitching, is quite powerful and is very easy to use.

Iowa_Boy 05-14-2008 09:50 AM

Love my Janome, works well in many different types of fabrics, even the sequin stuff, thick or think, its got some "fancy stitches" as well.

wyo_rose 05-14-2008 11:02 AM

I got a few Singers that I LOVE! An old Bernina that's a workhorse. And somebody gave me a $50 Brother from WalMart....they all work great. And an ancient serger that does wonders on satin....even ruffles.

WocusWoman 05-14-2008 09:58 PM

OH! mama, I just love my new Pfaff, quilting machine. Its great for making regalia:)

WocusWoman 05-14-2008 09:59 PM

OH yeah, and only Pfaff have the moving foot on both the top and bottom at the same rate.

mojo_jojo 05-15-2008 12:42 AM

I have a Kenmore I bought from Sears 12 years ago that still works great & i have sewn many many many fancy shawl sets for myself and a lot of other dancers. That Pfaff sure does sounds awesome tho.... maybe it's time i look into something new...Hmmm(starts dreaming) wow. what a dorky sewing dork daydream!LOL!!

KUDOS to the person who found the Kenmore at the garage sale... you lucky you!!!!!

New2itall 05-15-2008 12:55 AM

I just bought my first "brand new" sewing machine ( all previous had been Freecycle) and it is a Singer. I got it on sale + a "homeschooler's" discount for around $100 (rock on Hancock's!). So far I LOVE it! But I have never, and really don't plan to make, full regalia. I am just learning so purses and shawls are kinda my limit. I wish I had thought to ask this question before I bought mine, but since so many agree, I still woulda gone with my Singer!

tukisha 05-23-2008 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cree_thang (Post 1122438)
Tansi! I once had a Brother sewing machine from Walmart (given to me as a gift) and the peddle was really stiff (on starting) I couldn't get used to it so I gave it to a friend of mine who is doing some beadwork for me. I have since found a really awesome Kenmore at a garage sale in which I payed $40. It is worth around $320!!! The lady I bought if from hardly knew how to sew and had no use for it after she gave up trying to teach herself. It's an awesome machine to make outfits on cause it has all the jazzy stitching, is quite powerful and is very easy to use.

BEWARE of the cheapy Brother sewing machines from WalMart. Especially if you want to do applique work.

Roobz 05-23-2008 03:52 PM

About 3-4 years ago mother bought an Elna 6005 Heirloom Edition Sewing Machine and said I could use it for all my sewing projects as long as I keep on sewing for the family. I've made lots of outfits with it since she got it. It is really great to work with and does wonders such as adding detailed stitches etc... Used to have an Elna FunStyler too and that was nice to work with but I love this Heirloom edition.

One of these days I want to get one of those kind that you can download stuff from the internet I think those are around 3 grand though so probably in about ten years LOL

Singing Otter 05-25-2008 11:53 AM

I have a singer that I got on sale at wally world. I had originally bought it for my mom but she coaxed me to take it home with me. lol It worked because I started sewing hahahaha. She's so awesome. It works pretty well.

She has one that I drool over. I've never used it but omg is it ever sexy. It's one of the older ones that look like this.