Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > General Crafts Ermine bonnet Ermine bonnet

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-27-2009, 02:32 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
alz is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 331.00
Savings: 0.00
Ermine bonnet

I would have a question around the realization of ermines bonnet so i think this is the best place where to find an answer.
I have read on specialized texts, as "The American Indian craft book" of Nono Minor or others, around the construction of the base of the bonnet but, looking at the photos in the museums on line, I have noticed as the ermine don't seem fixed stretching in full the skin on the base but couples as curled. Are used the tails of the animal only perhaps? Or the whole skin is used. Thank's to everyone
alz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2009, 05:20 PM   #2
Some Kinda Monster

Str8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 919.64
Seeing that you're from Italy, why don't you get us some instructions so we can all make copies of the Pope's hat and vestments, then we'll give you instructions for an ermine skin bonnet...

If you're not catching the sarcasm here, those bonnets are sacred and the property of specific warrior and religious societies. Leave it alone, as you have no business making or wearing one.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:45 PM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

alz is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 331.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8Dancer49 View Post
Seeing that you're from Italy, why don't you get us some instructions so we can all make copies of the Pope's hat and vestments, then we'll give you instructions for an ermine skin bonnet...

If you're not catching the sarcasm here, those bonnets are sacred and the property of specific warrior and religious societies. Leave it alone, as you have no business making or wearing one.
Hi Str8Dancer49
I doesn't have any intention to build an ermine bonnet neither to wear one of it. I know well the value that a craft of the kind has for the cultures of the Native Americans. Mine is only an interest of study. From some years I deal me with the material culture of the different Nations through the reading of specific works, books as that suitable or the splendid one "The Native Americans..." to care of Sturtevant, of the Smithsonian, the books of Lowie, R.B Hassrick, Frances Densmore etc.. Then my curiosity is born only to try to understand as these manufactured craft were realized and not certain to want them to reproduce. PowWow is the place where possible to find people able to answer to questions to which the books don't give answer. For this since my presentation I have asked to excuse me in the case in which one post of mine had, without offended someone.
As it regards the hat and the vestments of the Pope I can do more whether to give you some instructions: I can give you the address to Rome of the shop that prepares them.
alz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links